We need a new forum just for retirement issues

Discussions about the forum and contents
diyinvestor

We need a new forum just for retirement issues

Post by diyinvestor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:27 pm

I have learned much from this site over the years, and from the many smart people that post to it. Now that I am nearing retirement, I find myself fishing through this very general forum -- "Investment Help With Personal Invetments" -- looking for posts more specific to my circumstances in retirement.

The problem is that this forum is so broad it sweeps in folks with 30 plus years or more to go before retirement, while retirees and the soon-to-be retired have a different set of issues, such as those about withdrawal strategies, investing for income, social security questions, etc.

Does anyone else agree with me that it's time for a retirement-specific forum topic be initiated?

What is the process for asking the site administrators for a new forum topic?

sscritic

Re: We need a new forum just for retirement issues

Post by sscritic » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:41 pm

What to do? Try posting in Forum Issues, not in Help with Personal Investments.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:47 pm

No need to do anything, I moved it.

Our sister Canadian site, Financial Webring Forum, does have a subforum dedicated to retirement-specific issues "Retirement, Pensions and Peace of Mind" with the description "Preparing for life after work. RRSPs, RRIFs, TFSAs, annuities and meeting future financial and psychological needs."

The process starts by asking here, then see if it gets any traction with the The team (the bottom of every page). If it passes that step, the forum's Advisory Panel will consider the request. Alex Frakt and mingstar are the site owners and have final say.

(For the US equivalents to the Canadian terminology, see: finiki, the Canadian financial Wiki)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:58 pm

It appears to me that retirement issues might deserve a separate sub-forum. Let's see what the rest of the team thinks.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

bocung@hotmail.com

Post by bocung@hotmail.com » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:04 pm

At first I agreed with the diyinvestor because I myself is nearing retirement but thinking more about it, I realized that by combing through all the subjects on this site from young investors' questions to people with hardwood floor problems, I get to learn more about not only retirement solutions but also other general and practical lessons. I prefer to leave like this.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:05 pm

I tend to use bogleheads.org in "view new posts" mode which commingles postings from all the various fora.
So it matters not a whit to me.
Given the number of posts which start out in the "wrong" forum to begin with, I'll vote "no" on adding this new forum, even though it would be completely relevant to me, at age 62-1/2...
Attempted new signature...

Muchtolearn

Post by Muchtolearn » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:13 pm

I too have not a clue as to which subforum anything is in because I look by recent posts.

williamg

Post by williamg » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:23 pm

The Wizard wrote:I tend to use bogleheads.org in "view new posts" mode which commingles postings from all the various fora.
Given the number of posts which start out in the "wrong" forum to begin with, I'll vote "no" on adding this new forum, even though it would be completely relevant to me, at age 62-1/2...
I agree. I used to have several Morningstar forums bookmarked but now just go to "all posts" to see latest activities in all forums. Have really appreciated some posts on forums I would not have otherwise visited.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:24 pm

I will say that for some topics that are disallowed here, you might need a totally new forum at a different website.
The Early Retirement forum comes to mind.
Reason being that many topics will get locked here rather predictably, medical/health issues for instance.
Many retirees might consider buying prescription drugs either N or S of the border, but a discussion here isn't likely to survive...

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Like some who've mentioned it, I view all posts on the index, so which forum it's posted on doesn't really matter. A new retirement issues sub-forum would only be helpful for those who don't view all posts. Perhaps it would be easier to convince members to view all posts rather than set up a new sub-forum?
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Munir

Post by Munir » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:It appears to me that retirement issues might deserve a separate sub-forum. Let's see what the rest of the team thinks.
Totally agree.

For example, the poll results of polls taken on this forum can look different for retirees and non-retirees.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:Like some who've mentioned it, I view all posts on the index, so which forum it's posted on doesn't really matter. A new retirement issues sub-forum would only be helpful for those who don't view all posts. Perhaps it would be easier to convince members to view all posts rather than set up a new sub-forum?
Yes, unless the mods agree to allow a more liberal range of acceptable topics in that forum only...

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:51 pm

I view all posts and go by title. Note that you can do that from within the forum (View new posts) or the home page (Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info).

The advantage of having multiple subforums is that you get a concentration of members who are focused on the topic. The disadvantage is what to do with topics that are "in-between" two subforum areas. So, we should categorize the subforums that produces the least ambiguity while providing the focused help for our members. I like it as-is.

To see how the content fits in the existing subforums, look at the Board index descriptions.

It helps to word the thread title clearly so it will draw the right crowd. (New investors are given automatic passes on this - it's hard enough just to get a post together. Don't worry about it.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:57 pm

I too view all posts and go by title.

This only presents a problem if thread titles are ambiguous. For example –

What do you think?

Quick question.

Is this a good idea?

I need some advice. (Some say, "I need some advise.")
Gordon

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Munir wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:It appears to me that retirement issues might deserve a separate sub-forum. Let's see what the rest of the team thinks.
Totally agree.

For example, the poll results of polls taken on this forum can look different for retirees and non-retirees.
+1

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:08 pm

Muchtolearn wrote:I too have not a clue as to which subforum anything is in because I look by recent posts.
Same here - with one exception. Sometimes I go straight to the consumer forum to find an older post that may have scrolled off the main page.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:10 pm

I would be in favor of a sub forum. A number of retirement topics come up regularly: when to take social security; asset allocation in retirement; annuities in retirement; taxation of various type of income in retirement; RMD's; and withdrawal strategies just to mention a few.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:23 pm

I think it's a good idea. One of the things I discovered when I was planning my retirement in 2007 was that there were lots and lots of books on "investing," but they all focussed on the accumulation stage, and very few on "investing in retirement." That's changed at bit since 2007--witness The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning--but it does seem like a distinct, and popular topic.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:46 pm

I thought I had an opinion about having a new forum for retirement, but who knows how to categorize a given topic? I just throw all posts into the blender and then pick what floats to the top.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 pm

Jake46 wrote:
Munir wrote:
Totally agree.

+1
+2. I would welcome it.
All the Best, | Joe

bill99

Post by bill99 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:06 pm

I'd like to see a retirement sub-forum.

While I mostly use the "all posts" view, that's more of a daily 'browsing' function for me, to keep up with current posts. Very broad ranging.

But sometimes I like to focus a bit more narrowly, and in those cases, the sub-forum structure would help, and would be a lot easier, for me anyway, than trying searches on individual topics.

Stevewc

Post by Stevewc » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:17 pm

I would like to see a forum section for retiree's.
I can't think of any reason not to.
I read all post by title, but being in early retirement myself, I think I would focus on that section more often.
Thanks for considering.
Steve
Ladies and Gentiles | Monkeys and Reptiles | I come before ya, to stand behind ya, tell you something I know nothing about !!!

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:14 pm

I believe this exact topic has come up before, but I can't find the post right now.

It seems like the conclusion at the time was that there would be too much topic overlap. For example, even a topic like RMD sometimes has planning implications for the accumulation stage that might be helpful for non-retirees to know about. And any proliferation in the number of forums might generate more replies like "You probably should have posted this in the <whatever> forum"; "No, the OP shouldn't have posted it in the <whatever> forum"; "I meant to post this in the <whatever> forum but can't figure out how to to move it", etc.

But as long as the all the topics remain viewable together, it probably doesn't matter. I just view everything and select by individual post topic.

Paul

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:34 pm

+1 for subtopic on retirement issues. I do view all topics but when researching threads after being offline for a few weeks, it would be nice to focus on my main interest.

OP might enjoy the Early Retirement forum.

Erwin

Post by Erwin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Fully Agree
Erwin

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:37 am

HELL NO!

I think a specific forum on retirement issues is not just a bad idea, it is a very bad idea. Most saving and investing done throughout one's life is done for retirement. We definitely do not need more subdivision of lifetime saving and investing decisions. Instead what we need is more integration of subtopics into a lifetime financial plan. It is intrinsically a bad idea to segregate saving and investing decisions into an accumulation stage and a separate decumulation stage. In lieu of segregating these S&I decisions into separate life stages, a household should instead be targeting to meet its retirement income goals many years before retirement.

For instance, a married couple should be considering when they will be taking SS benefits and integrating that decision into their lifetime financial plan long before their retirement date. The same but simpler consideration applies to single people. In the same vein households should be considering when and how much to annuitize during retirement as part of their financial planning several years before retirement.

In a nutshell successful retirement planning begins many years before retirement. To put it another way, household financial planning is at least 80% retirement planning. If you think we need a specific forum on lifetime financial planning, then that would encompass its major subtopic - retirement issues. But creating a financial planning forum at Bogleheads might require, it seems to me, redesigning many of the topic areas, since a majority of all posts would arguably fall under that topic area. Maybe that is what should be done, but that is quite different from creating another subtopic area- retirement issues -that further fragments rational lifetime saving and investing decision making.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

earlyout

Post by earlyout » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:47 am

bobcat2 wrote:HELL NO!

I think a specific forum on retirement issues is not just a bad idea, it is a very bad idea. Most saving and investing done throughout one's life is done for retirement. We definitely do not need more subdivision of lifetime saving and investing decisions. Instead what we need is more integration of subtopics into a lifetime financial plan. It is intrinsically a bad idea to segregate saving and investing decisions into an accumulation stage and a separate decumulation stage. In lieu of segregating these S&I decisions into separate life stages, a household should instead be targeting to meet its retirement income goals many years before retirement.

For instance, a married couple should be considering when they will be taking SS benefits and integrating that decision into their lifetime financial plan long before their retirement date. The same but simpler consideration applies to single people. In the same vein households should be considering when and how much to annuitize during retirement as part of their financial planning several years before retirement.

In a nutshell successful retirement planning begins many years before retirement. To put it another way, household financial planning is at least 80% retirement planning. If you think we need a specific forum on lifetime financial planning, then that would encompass its major subtopic - retirement issues. But creating a financial planning forum at Bogleheads might require, it seems to me, redesigning many of the topic areas, since a majority of all posts would arguably fall under that topic area. Maybe that is what should be done, but that is quite different from creating another subtopic area- retirement issues -that further fragments rational lifetime saving and investing decision making.

BobK
+1 Very well said!

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:05 am

While I too browse almost exclusively by recent posts, I think a retirement issues forum would help me find older threads related to my principal topics of interest.

I respectfully disagree with bobcat2. It is a matter of organization of information. I do not disagree with his integration philosophy, only his conclusion that there should not be an additional way to index items of interest.

If I don't happen to save a thread, I have a lot of difficulty finding it months later. This might help.

xerty24

Post by xerty24 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:28 am

Maybe if the said retirement forum allowed for discussion of inflation policies, personal medical issues, political threats to pensions/SS, and similar topics of very high importance to retirees. If not, I think it would just be the same as the general financial discussion we have.
No excuses, no regrets.

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:31 am

There should be a section for people in retirement, taking money out of a portfolio is a whole different ball game from putting money in a portfolio

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:34 am

Peter Foley wrote: If I don't happen to save a thread, I have a lot of difficulty finding it months later.
The search box isn't perfect, but it finds much of what I need to find. A good choice of key terms helps. Sometimes I have to change the terms a little when I see the first results aren't what I expected, even if those results have my terms in them.

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:09 am

earlyout wrote:

BobK
+1 Very well said!
+2 I agree.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

FabLab

Post by FabLab » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:25 am

The Wizard wrote:I tend to use bogleheads.org in "view new posts" mode which commingles postings from all the various fora.
How I read bogleheads as well, so it wouldn't much matter to me.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 am

xerty24 wrote:Maybe if the said retirement forum allowed for discussion of inflation policies, personal medical issues, political threats to pensions/SS, and similar topics of very high importance to retirees. If not, I think it would just be the same as the general financial discussion we have.
I disagree and I believe such "freedom of expression" would only lead to more disagreements.

Jerry

xerty24

Post by xerty24 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:15 pm

NAVigator wrote:
xerty24 wrote:Maybe if the said retirement forum allowed for discussion of inflation policies, personal medical issues, political threats to pensions/SS, and similar topics of very high importance to retirees. If not, I think it would just be the same as the general financial discussion we have.
I disagree and I believe such "freedom of expression" would only lead to more disagreements.

Jerry
I'm not saying it wouldn't lead to disagreements (although medical ones are probably the tamest), I'm saying that if you don't allow most of these relevant topics to retirees then what's left wouldn't be much different than the general discussion now.
No excuses, no regrets.

tuffy7222

Post by tuffy7222 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:09 pm

YES !!! we retirees need a special sub forum for retirement issues.

I have nothing against the 40 year olds and those younger to inquire about retirement "Planning" process to gain wisdom to prepare for retirement.I'd say that 90 % of the postings are from this younger crowd on this forum.
But us guys and gals 50 +,60,70,80 who are contemplating retirement or are currently in retirement have been through that process and its daily repitious questioning becomes boring to say the least.
We the retirees or soon to be retired are in the "Payoff" process and would like to discuss "Early retirement" ,' Social Security/Pensions", "Withdrawal strategies", "RMD'S", "How best to protect our Assets"," Health Insurance options","Estate Planning" and so forth.

I see that Mel Lindauer is in favor of this request.
I would also like to see Taylor Larimore response.

VeremchukA

Post by VeremchukA » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:49 pm

BobK
What a terrible reply! As someone who retired in the past few years I have the perspective of one working in middle age, approaching retirement and in the early years of retirement. I suppose your answer is to eliminate all specialists in the medical field and replace them with GPs because they look at the whole patient over their life time and you can plan on medical problems and emergencies that you don't know about yet over time. TERRIBLE answer and I'm not surprised people like it!

To those that want a retirement forum there is one for you - http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/

It's a great place that allows a much wider and more interesting range of topics than this website. It seems a lot of threads here end up locked, often I can't figure out why. Over there you are allowed to discuss politics IF it relates to the purpose of that subforum and the rules are spelled out clearly on the name of the subforum that you'd click on to post. There's a wealth of knowledge there, I see many of the people there here but it's a more relaxed environment.

This website can be useful but when I found the other I seldom post here or read here. I guess this thread will be locked now but if they don't take out the link you know where to go, forget asking for that here.

Just my opinion not intended to cause an uproar, it just needed to be said.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:17 pm

VeremchukA - Your response exemplifies one of the most under appreciated aspects of this forum: Brutal honesty. I like the diversity of opinions, as you can't learn if everyone says the same thing.

The same goes for joining different forums. Each one has a differerent focus with a different set of rules. I won't go into why the Bogleheads.org policy is set the way it is, that's a different discussion.

You shouldn't be worried about mentioning other forums. In fact, we have an entire thread on that: What other financial sites/blogs do you read?. (I don't see Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community there, consider adding it.)

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi VeremchukA,

You wrote in part to my post the following.
What a terrible reply! As someone who retired in the past few years I have the perspective of one working in middle age, approaching retirement and in the early years of retirement. I suppose your answer is to eliminate all specialists in the medical field and replace them with GPs because they look at the whole patient over their life time and you can plan on medical problems and emergencies that you don't know about yet over time. TERRIBLE answer and I'm not surprised people like it!

I believe VeremchukA that you have the criticisms backwards. Let's carry on with this medical analogy. What we have in the financial planning field is specialists but no GPs. What you propose for solving this problem is to add even more specialists and keep the number of GPS frozen at a level barely above zero.

How often do we read a refrain like this one by nisiprius earlier in this thread.
One of the things I discovered when I was planning my retirement in 2007 was that there were lots and lots of books on "investing," but they all focused on the accumulation stage, and very few on "investing in retirement."
He then goes on to discuss there now being a few books about how to invest in retirement. But the critical point is that there are very few books about how to save and invest throughout your lifetime. What we need are books that do that. Not more books about how to invest before retirement and another set of new books about how to invest once you are retired. Most of us are primarily saving and investing during our working years for our retirement. The two need to be linked.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:12 pm

VeremchukA, the Early-Retirement forum is listed in the wiki under forums; Financial Websites and Blogs
Thanks for mentioning it. I have never looked at it because you must register first.

Jerry

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:45 pm

My guess is that the value of a separate forum would vary depending on whether the reader is a regular or just stopping by. The regular readers probably don't pay much attention to the subforum - I know I don't. But a new reader or someone who doesn't stop by regularly might find a separate subforum helps sort out the posts.

I see a couple of risks, though. One, where do you stop. How do you keep from slicing and dicing subject matter to the point where there are so many sub-topics you don't know where to begin. Two, there are many topics which are general. For example, tax topics. If there are useful tax topics posted in the personal finance area, someone looking in the retirement area might miss them.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Sidney wrote: If there are useful tax topics posted in the personal finance area, someone looking in the retirement area might miss them.
This is why we need a new forum just for tax topics. Taxes don't stop at retirement. Having tax topics in the new retirement issues forum would either duplicate other posts in other forums or be lost in all the noise. And how can I not ask for a new forum just for social security?

So far we have three new forums:
Retirement Issues
Tax Topics
Social Security

Please feel free to add your own new forums that we desperately need.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:21 pm

sscritic wrote:So far we have three new forums:
Retirement Issues
Tax Topics
Social Security
Whole Life Insurance
Gordon

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:22 pm

sscritic wrote:So far we have three new forums:
Retirement Issues
Tax Topics
Social Security
Market timing ["is this a good time to buy xxxxx?"]

Please feel free to add your own new forums that we desperately need.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:29 pm

jebmke wrote:...
I really do hope that was a joke. If not, it really is not appropriate for this forum or any new Bogleheads forum.

Jerry

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:35 pm

Jerry, we don't have to call it the Market Timing forum. We could call it the Is this a good time to buy forum.
Gordon

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:13 am

NAVigator wrote:
jebmke wrote:...
I really do hope that was a joke. If not, it really is not appropriate for this forum or any new Bogleheads forum.

Jerry
I don't think we need any new forums. That aside, hearing the reactions to questions like "is this a good time to buy xxx" is instructive for some readers. Most of the useful information on Bogleheads is in the answers, not the questions.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

tuffy7222

Post by tuffy7222 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Instead of the current "planning Process " that is constantly discussed on a daily basis by the 40 yr old and under
Us retirres need a "Retirement Payoff Process" that includes WITHDRAWAL STRATEGIES and PROTECTING YOUR ASSETS

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:44 pm

Nothing prevents us retirees from starting a mega-thread on the worthy topics mentioned. Who know, perhaps we can rival the "What book are you reading?", the "3-fund Portfolio", or the "$5000 watch" threads. Of course, the volume might be affected if the participants are restricted by age, wealth (ability to retire), or if they agree with you or not. The problem arises when someone brings up a taboo topic which locks the whole discussion. Game over.

Jerry

FlyHi

Post by FlyHi » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:58 pm

PaddyMac wrote:+1 for subtopic on retirement issues. I do view all topics but when researching threads after being offline for a few weeks, it would be nice to focus on my main interest.

OP might enjoy the Early Retirement forum.
I agree with both of PaddyMac's statements. I often research older threads and having a separate sub-forum for retirement would make that job easier.

I belong to the Early Retirement forum and I get some god information there!
“If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy”