I'm having trouble sending a private message, help please.

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Lazareth

I'm having trouble sending a private message, help please.

Post by Lazareth »

A member recently sent me a PM one week ago and asked if I would share a portfolio management spreadsheet that I had referenced in a post. I sent a reply P.M. in the affirmative. It shows as sent but it is also still in my Outbox, not in my "Sent messages" box. I made two more attempts and now I have all 3 of my PM's in my Outbox, none of them appear in my Sent messages box. Each message shows as "sent" at the time I composed it and sent it by clicking the "Submit" button. Can you suggest why my messages are not getting sent and are staying in my Outbox?

Also, is there a mechanism for sharing files with other BH members, such as attaching to a private message?

Thank you for your attention to this.
a/69, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment. Three-fund portfolio, after decades of chasing active-managed fund performance.
jebmke

Re: I'm having trouble sending a private message, help please.

Post by jebmke »

Messages remain in your Outbox until the recipient reads them. Then it moves to Sent.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

As jebmke notes, PMs that you send to another member stay in your Outbox until the other member opens them, then they are moved to your Sent box.

As for attaching files, no, the forum software doesn't let you do that. If you need to share a file with another member, I'd suggest you put it on some external storage site such as Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Dropbox, or some such, and send the member a link to your uploaded file.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

Lazareth wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:32 pm Can you suggest why my messages are not getting sent and are staying in my Outbox?
Message you send stay in your Outbox until the recipient reads them. Then they appear in your Sent box. Messages in your Outbox can be edited or even deleted. So you can delete the two extra messages at this point.
Also, is there a mechanism for sharing files with other BH members, such as attaching to a private message?
I don't think so. If you have the file online you could share the url. Or you could share email addresses and send files that way.
Topic Author
Lazareth

Post by Lazareth »

Thank you all for the helpful explanations and suggestion, you answered my question.
a/69, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment. Three-fund portfolio, after decades of chasing active-managed fund performance.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This information is in the FAQ (link at the top of the page). (Readers don't often check the FAQ, so it's understandable that this would be missed. Don't worry about it.)

Why is my private message stuck in the Outbox?
Why is my private message stuck in the Outbox?
Sent messages will appear in either the "Outbox" or the "Sent Messages" folder. As long as the recipient(s) have not yet read the message, it will stay in the "Outbox". As soon as someone reads the message it will be archived to the "Sent messages" folder. If the administrator allows it, you can edit messages after sending them as long as they are in the "Outbox" and the recipients have not yet read them.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
afr

Post by afr »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:42 pm As jebmke notes, PMs that you send to another member stay in your Outbox until the other member opens them, then they are moved to your Sent box.

As for attaching files, no, the forum software doesn't let you do that. If you need to share a file with another member, I'd suggest you put it on some external storage site such as Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Dropbox, or some such, and send the member a link to your uploaded file.
On a similar note; is it possible to copy and paste jpg/ IMG pics I have along with a PM to another member?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The same formatting rules apply in a PM as a forum post. Sorry, but you can't copy/paste images in a PM.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.