Dark mode?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Gaston

Dark mode?

Post by Gaston »

I know this requires some work with CSS and style sheets, but any chance of adding a dark mode option to this forum that the user can control, perhaps in user profile settings?
Elric

Re: Dark mode?

Post by Elric »

I asked about this maybe a year ago. Try installing DarkReader (https://darkreader.org/). Bogleheads (and most other sites) look really good with it turned on. And you can easily toggle it on or off or set it to be off on certain sites where it might not work well. I've become a huge fan, and it works really well on most sites (better than many other plugins).
"the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence." Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Elric wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:51 pm I asked about this maybe a year ago. Try installing DarkReader (https://darkreader.org/). Bogleheads (and most other sites) look really good with it turned on. And you can easily toggle it on or off or set it to be off on certain sites where it might not work well. I've become a huge fan, and it works really well on most sites (better than many other plugins).
Any alternatives for mobile?
davibi02

Post by davibi02 »

Elric wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:51 pm I asked about this maybe a year ago. Try installing DarkReader (https://darkreader.org/). Bogleheads (and most other sites) look really good with it turned on. And you can easily toggle it on or off or set it to be off on certain sites where it might not work well. I've become a huge fan, and it works really well on most sites (better than many other plugins).
Thanks for this. I was using the flag in chromium but it has serious issues with a lot of sites. DarkReady works great, can be toggled site-by-site, and it appears their attitude toward data/privacy/open source is in line with my personal beliefs.
quadog

Post by quadog »

If you’re on an iOS device you can setup smart invert through accessibility settings to a smart shortcut and get the site into dark mode. At least that’s my hack and it works ok.
Young Boglehead

Post by Young Boglehead »

I use Firefox on mobile which has a dark mode. When iOS 15 comes out you can use extensions which safari which will also allow you to use dark mode.

Reading bogleheads on my phone at night before dark mode was terrible!
telemark

Post by telemark »

The Brave browser for Android has a dark mode that works with with most sites. On bogleheads, the thread titles show up in violet, which takes a little getting used to.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

Second the recommendation for dark reader. I’ve used it for years and it’s great.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

telemark wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:37 am The Brave browser for Android has a dark mode that works with with most sites. On bogleheads, the thread titles show up in violet, which takes a little getting used to.
Brave for iOS also has dark mode. It’s a good dark mode too, not the lazy bad looking invert everything style.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Let your browser take care of dark mode. From my post: Subject: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests
LadyGeek wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:59 pm ^^^ Thanks for the help! The Dark Reader extension displays the post editor's Font color palette correctly (Post a reply --> "Ink drop" icon in the editing toolbar). A few extensions I've tried don't display the palette correctly. I also see a dark mode for the forum software, but it's crude and messes up the logo and post editor's Font color palette.

For Firefox: Dark Reader - Firefox

For Chrome: Dark Reader - Chrome Web Store
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
rockstar

Re: Wiki - Prioritizing investments (proposed updates)

Post by rockstar »

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I merged rockstar's post into the ongoing discussion.

The link in human readable format: Use Dark Mode on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.