How to make a first post?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

How to make a first post?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Administrators:

Hard to believe, but when someone wants to make a first-time post, there are no instructions on www.bogleheads.org. ???

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
JPH

Re: How to make a first post?

Post by JPH »

I agree, and complained about it earlier in the week. I'm not exactly a new member, but always have trouble finding how to post a new topic.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
TD2626

Post by TD2626 »

What about this link? (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212). It's featured as a sticky so it's fairly prominent.

Or do you want something that more explains the mechanics of posting (i.e. what to click on, etc)?

I agree that general instructions could probably be made more prominent. The bogleheads.org page has a link to this page: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started and that page has a section on "Asking questions" Mabye that section could be expanded.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The top of every forum page has a link to the forum FAQ , which has been present in the forum software since Day 1. In this version, the FAQ is the 2nd link from the left.

For example: How do I create a new topic or post a reply?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sandramjet

Post by sandramjet »

I agree with Taylor that I think it should be more obvious. At the very least, if the expectation is that you would go to the FAQ's to find that info, why not put a link to the FAQ's on the home page as well as in the forum pages? Seems like there are a lot of little things that you have to know (or be used to using BB software) on here. I know for me, this is in fact the first and only online BB I have ever used, so I find myself hunting all over for things that it seems others just assume is common knowledge
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Another of those distinctions between the main page and forum pages. On the latter there's a prominent New Topic button.
Aharris88

Post by Aharris88 »

Hello, I have read through this chain and have followed all the instructions (as per below), however still unable to find how/where to post a new topic. I am however able to easily follow how to post a reply on all topics. Any guidance is appreciated. Many thanks!

How do I create a new topic or post a reply?
To post a new topic in a forum, click "New Topic". To post a reply to a topic, click "Post Reply". You may need to register before you can post a message. A list of your permissions in each forum is available at the bottom of the forum and topic screens. Example: You can post new topics, You can post attachments, etc.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! You need to first view the forum where you would like to post a new topic.

For example, the Personal Investments forum. At the top-left, just above the "Announcements" section is "New Topic". Click on that button.

The topic title is entered on the Subject: line. Enter what's needed, Preview (to see if anything needs to be changed), then Submit.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Could we have a button at the top of the Post Listings page also - where all the 100 most current topics are listed - that says something like "How to create a post" or "Post new topic"?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The post listings page is the site home page (Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info). Instructions on how to use the forum software are in the FAQ, which is the menu link at the top of every forum page.

Aharris88 was listing the FAQ instructions. How do I create a new topic or post a reply?
To post a new topic in a forum, click "New Topic". To post a reply to a topic, click "Post Reply". You may need to register before you can post a message. A list of your permissions in each forum is available at the bottom of the forum and topic screens. Example: You can post new topics, You can post attachments, etc.
Perhaps it wasn't clear that you should view the forum when posting a new topic.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I recall my first post! Where has time gone?

Good question Taylor.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
bigmfdubs

Post by bigmfdubs »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:29 pm Administrators:

Hard to believe, but when someone wants to make a first-time post, there are no instructions on www.bogleheads.org. ???

Best wishes.
Taylor
its says to push new topic but I don't have that option.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! The button appears when you view the individual forum. For example, Personal Investments. "New topic" appears at the top left, just under the forum's title (Personal Investments).

The FAQ isn't all that clear. How do I create a new topic or post a reply?
geranium

Post by geranium »

Hello? Can you please help me make a first post?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hi,

You have two older discussions:

- What to look for in an income fund? (Mar 16, 2015)
- converting IRA funds to Roth, to avoid RMDs ( Apr 07, 2015)

What would you like to do?
Abe

Post by Abe »

I don't post a new topic very often, but when I do I have a problem finding where to post a new topic. :confused
ETA I know it says click "new topic". The problem is I can't find the "new topic" button to click.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Abe wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:34 pm I don't post a new topic very often, but when I do I have a problem finding where to post a new topic. :confused
ETA I know it says click "new topic". The problem is I can't find the "new topic" button to click.
Go to the forum that is appropriate for your new topic, i.e. viewforum.php?f=3 and there should be a New topic button right near the top left corner, under the forum name.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams