Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
67Bosox

Post by 67Bosox » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:52 pm

i can log in to boglehead forum on my laptop and desktop. i used to be able to log in on my iphone. lately, when logging in on my iphone i get a message in red letters that says "You have specified an incorrect username. please check your username and try again." but i am using the same username on all machines. '67Bosox and the same password.
i have cleared the browser history in my iphone, and the cookies, and other data. in safari and in chrome. and i have tried to get in from safari and chrome. and this is after logging out from my laptop. but it still says the same thing when trying from the iphone. and i can re-log in from the laptop.

iphone used to allow me to log in to the forum, for commenting, asking q's, etc.
any ideas
thanks

Trader Joe

Re: log in problems

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:00 pm

'67Bosox wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:52 pm
i can log in to boglehead forum on my laptop and desktop. i used to be able to log in on my iphone. lately, when logging in on my iphone i get a message in red letters that says "You have specified an incorrect username. please check your username and try again." but i am using the same username on all machines. '67Bosox and the same password.
i have cleared the browser history in my iphone, and the cookies, and other data. in safari and in chrome. and i have tried to get in from safari and chrome. and this is after logging out from my laptop. but it still says the same thing when trying from the iphone. and i can re-log in from the laptop.

iphone used to allow me to log in to the forum, for commenting, asking q's, etc.
any ideas
thanks
I would contact a moderator for log in related issues.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:08 pm

'67Bosox wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:52 pm

any ideas
thanks
I don't know the answer but will make a suggestion: never use any form of quote in your login name. I wouldn't even use one in my password, although I'd use characters like @, ^, and %. Quotes just have a lot of issues, even if they shouldn't.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:40 pm

^^^ Thanks! That may be the culprit. See: apostrophe encoding breaks login |Apple Developer Forums

'67Bosox, I sent you a PM.

FYI - You shouldn't be concerned about special characters in a password. If they're accepted, use every one you can.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
67Bosox

Post by 67Bosox » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Thank you, tibbitts.
your advice worked!!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:51 pm

Also note that I removed the apostrophe - he's now 67Bosox. He won't have to worry about disabling "Smart Punctuation" if another iPhone is used.

So far, 67Bosox gets the award for "most obscure problem" (that's not a software bug).

tibbits gets credit for the solution. Thanks! :beer

Update: I retitled the thread for clarity.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
67Bosox

Post by 67Bosox » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Thanks to both of you.
I will now reverse what I did on my iPhone since username no longer has the apostrophe in it.
Thanks