Discussions about the forum and contents
knowledge

Re: The front page is ugly

Post by knowledge »

I mean, it works for Craigslist.
tarmangani

Post by tarmangani »

mrc wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:54 am I hear Edward Jones has a pretty snazzy landing page. :wink:

Not all serif fonts are easy to read than any sans font, and none are easier for me as I cope with astigmatism.

The bookmark to the topics page is spot on.
This reminds me of something. One of the forum's excellent posters, siamond, delivered a presentation about Boglehead investing at my workplace not too long ago. He made it a point to contrast his outfit--a shirt he says that's older than his son--with that of a hypothetical Merrill Lynch representative, who you'd expect to wear a fancy suit, carry glossy fliers, and slick back his hair. Siamond brings substance, not surface, actual practical knowledge you can apply to retire early, amass wealth, meet your personal retirement goals. The reps, meanwhile...well, we know what they're in it for.
nexesn

Post by nexesn »

Though it took me about a day to get used to and understand the "Front Page" I've come to really like it. I find one page with he most updated subject matter to be really useful. I really like how I can just scroll through all the new aggregated discussions without going anywhere else. And, I also tend to learn about things that I didn't necessarily think I needed to know or even knew I should know by having the layout in this manner. I personally really like it!
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

It is really ugly. Like, Reddit ugly. It should be changed, and mobile users should be considered. Actually any website or web platform needs to be "mobile first."
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

peterinjapan wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:26 pm It is really ugly. Like, Reddit ugly. It should be changed, and mobile users should be considered.
1) So what's wrong with simply setting a bookmark or shortcut to the standard phpBB home page,

www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php, which meets whatever design standards the phpBB designers think is appropriate for a web forum.

Nobody's forcing you to use www.bogleheads.org if you don't like it.
Actually any website or web platform needs to be "mobile first."
2) That seems pretty ex cathedra. Could you give a reason for this other than "everybody is doing it now?" Or "it doesn't suit my personal taste?"

3) I don't use Reddit, but not because it's ugly. I've heard that it's a reasonably successful website.

4) Do you have any figures on the relative numbers of forum readers using desktops versus mobile devices? I have a decent smartphone with LTE. But the forum is something I us sitting down at home on a desktop, not while strolling around.

5) Actually, I just tried the home page on my smartphone--which it appears I've never done before--and it adjusts to the screen width, and it is perfectly usable, with a reasonable font size, and I can read it easily with my 70-year-old eyes. Furthermore, it works usably in either portrait or landscape orientation which is most definitely not the case with many mobile-optimized apps.

What, exactly, is wrong with the home page on smartphones--other than not being up to fashion trends?

P.S. I'm saying "smartphones" quite deliberately, because to me, my 9.7" Samsung tablet is also a "mobile device," but of course the home page is fine on its 2048x1536 screen. The issue is not whether you can carry the device, it's whether the device has a) a small b) touchscreen. When I am actually traveling, I use the tablet in my hotel room, not my smartphone while hiking Devils Tower.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Zero Alpha

Post by Zero Alpha »

The front page is the first thing a potential new user sees. The current design can be a little off putting the first time you see it. I understand that the functionality of the front page is important but surely it would not limit the ease of using or loading much to bring the aesthetics to par with the forum or wiki. Craigslist has been mentioned multiple times but Craigslist's front page looks cleaner than the front page here.
John151

Post by John151 »

targ wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:59 am
Tamalak wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 am ... All the OP is asking for is for the front page to be consistent with the professionalism of the sub-form pages. ...
Then might I suggest the OP load this as his bookmarked link:
www.bogleheads.org/forum/search.php?sea ... ive_topics
+1 That's what I use.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Zero Alpha wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:38 pm The front page is the first thing a potential new user sees. The current design can be a little off putting the first time you see it. I understand that the functionality of the front page is important but surely it would not limit the ease of using or loading much to bring the aesthetics to par with the forum or wiki. Craigslist has been mentioned multiple times but Craigslist's front page looks cleaner than the front page here.
Aesthetics are subjective. For me, the simpler is the better. If that were up to me, I'd replace the blue background of the Forum with pure white.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

When I joined, I did not like the front page much. Now, that I understand how it works, I love the frontpage as it gives me a quick snapshot on what topics are trending.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I think of the issue from an alternative perspective, the core question that I ask myself is what is the function of a website's home page? The secondary question is whether or not there could be a better "index page" for the forum. Once those questions are answering then the 'prettiness' or 'ugliness' can be accessed, which of course will ultimately be decided in the eye of the beholder. There will be no right answer that will satisfy everyone.

Now to address my reframed questions. From my point of view, a website's home page should introduce the website to new visitors and entice them to explore the offerings of the site and to engage them to continue to repeatedly return to the site. Shouldn't it be the URL that you would give someone if you wanted them to check out the site to gain an insight into the Bogleheads philosophy? It doesn't need to be the page that users bookmark and consider their 'home page' for the site. Is all of that makes sense, could the Bogleheads wiki be more suitable to provide this functionality, particularly for newcomers to the Bogleheads?

Some historical context to the current front page can be found in the wiki, see The Bogleheads®
Bogleheads wiki wrote:In July 2001 Alex Frakt and Larry Auton debuted diehards.org as a convenient index and search capability in support of the Morningstar Vanguard Diehards Forum.
This page has periodically been refreshed and updated but the core functionality remains to provide a convenient index and search capability. Many members would (and have above) argued that they bookmark this page and use it extensively as their "Bogleheads home page". The only question I'd ask is could this functionality be provided from using a different URL rather than making it the front page. Then those interested in using the functionality would have an appropriate bookmark to use as their anchor point for visiting the site.

Personally, I don't find any value in the current front page and I consider the forum software (phpBB) index page, aka index.php as the home page and that is what I've bookmarked and use as my anchor point for browsing the Bogleheads site. As others have mentioned, the forum software provides a page that is somewhat equivalent to the current front page, Active topics, but I find that given the volume of posting that occurs on the Bogleheads forum and the fact that I only visit a couple of times a day.

To me, the current front page offers a percentage of the membership a very useful resource that serves as their main navigation point to the Bogleheads forum. I don't use it some won't comment on whether or not is it ugly. But I would question whether or not it is the best possible home page for the Bogleheads. In the eye of this beholder, it is not because it doesn't serve the newcomer to the site very well.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

bogleheads.org serves new users with the links "Getting started" and "About us" and it serves both new and old users by presenting the "forum policies" link to new users.

Most so called modern websites don't do this anywhere near as well, many have a "read me first" link that is so deeply buried you have to call customer support to find it. If you can find customer support on the contact us page, if you can find the contact us page.

Remember most users are not new users, so there is a delicate balance between making things easy for new users and making thing usable for returning users.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Nobody agrees on whether the voice is saying "Laurel" or "Yanny".

Whichever one they hear, most people find it hard to believe that anyone could possibly hear the other one.

Similarly, many people think that nobody else could possibly disagree with their judgement of website "aesthetics."
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed May 16, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
billthecat

Re: The front page is wondeful

Post by billthecat »

Sheepdog wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:25 am
oldcomputerguy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:10 am

The purpose of the site is to provide an area for discussion of investing and personal finance. I can't see how that purpose would be served by adding needless decoration or annoying animation.
Well written. This site is beautiful in content, so that makes it beautiful to the eye. The front page is wonderful.
Hey sheepdog, this year is the 20 year anniversary of your retirement! How is it going?
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • It's later than you think • Ack! Thbbft!
inittowinit

Post by inittowinit »

I disagree w/ OP. The home page serves its purpose perfectly. Change nothing plz.
dollar_elbow

Post by dollar_elbow »

I think a few simple changes would benefit the front page:

Switch to a sans serif font. Subjectively, I find Times New Roman to be an ugly font for web pages and so do many professional web designers, hence why most major websites don't use it. Part of this problem stems from the fact that very basic web pages with no styling default to Time New Roman, so I think when a lot of people see it on a web page they have been conditioned to think that the page is either outdated, poorly maintained, or had little thought put into it (regardless of whether this is true or not). For example, if you encounter a web page asking for your banking user name and password and it used a Serif/Times New Roman font with basic colors, I'll bet most people's immediate reaction will be to think that the page looks amateurish and to be very weary of typing in their details.

Switch to a white background for a cleaner look.

Add a bit more whitespace between topics, links, headers etc.

None of these changes would impact speed and only require modifying the CSS so they won't affect functionality,
but would make the site look more professional.

Of course these opinions are subjective, but I think at least with the font changes, there is some predicate for doing that.
3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler »

It would be nice to have a friendlier mobile version... Nothing radical. Keep the same spartan interface, but make it easier to click on a thread. I get the feeling that most members on here access it from their desktop or tablet. I agree the current format works well on a laptop/desktop.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Epsilon Delta wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 am Remember most users are not new users, so there is a delicate balance between making things easy for new users and making thing usable for returning users.
I agree. My key point is that both user groups, or use cases, don't need to use the same URL, because their needs are probably quite different.

Some examples. As I understand things, many long time members don't use www.bogleheads.org, they've long ago bookmarked www.diehards.org. Would it make any difference to those that use the current front page if the URL changed to something like www.bogleheads.org/fastindex? One update to their bookmark and essentially nothing would change for them. That could allow a more "newcomer" friendly front page to be deployed at www.bogleheads.org.

Many users, myself included, never use the current front page because we've chosen to use the www.bogleheads.org/forum (the phpBB index page) as it better suits our needs.

At the end of the day, it is up to the powers that be (site owners) to give some consideration to the various viewpoints expressed in this topic. I'm only trying to provide my $0.02.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Sheepdog

Re: The front page is wondeful

Post by Sheepdog »

billthecat wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Hey sheepdog, this year is the 20 year anniversary of your retirement! How is it going?
Hey, thanks for thinking of that. On October 2, just before the annual Boglehead's conference, that will be my 20th anniversary. Things are doing great. I have plenty of dough, am healthy, volunteering with kids at a school and our Children's Museum. Could things be better? No!..except maybe my wife's bum knees, but even with that, she laughs and we are happy companions.

If you don't mind, I will repeat what I wrote last year on my 19th retirement anniversary as it still stands. This is for you youngsters: For all of you starting your retirement planning journey, follow the good advice given by the Bogleheads. Turn off the noise (you know what I mean). And, when you do retire, relax and have fun, exercise and eat well to stay healthy, invest conservatively, spend frugally, share your good fortune with others, and then you know you have done it right.
Jim
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

dollar_elbow wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 pm...Switch to a sans serif font. Subjectively, I find Times New Roman to be an ugly font for web pages and so do many professional web designers, hence why most major websites don't use it...
Perhaps "most" don't, but The New York Times,

the Wall Street Journal,

and The Economist

do.

Does this prove serifed type is better? No. What it proves that it is just a matter of fashion and taste, not "better" or "worse."

I think the idea that "serifs are bad on web pages" comes from the days of 72 dpi screen resolution, on which fine lines rendered poorly. Before the days of antialiasing, very very poorly. I suspect that if you were to do a study today, you would find in any situation with enough resolution to reproduce serifs well--and where the purpose is to serve readers, not draw attention--the majority of readers prefer serifed type... as they do in print. On the Amazon Kindle, where Amazon controls the whole experience, knows the device resolution, and has every reason to optimize the reading experience, the default font choice is serifed.

So why don't I complain about the Bogleheads' forum using sans serif type in postings? Because it actually doesn't matter. Neither does the Oxford comma. It is "Laurel," though, and all the people who think it is "Yanny" are wrong.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

nisiprius wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:36 pm
...4) Do you have any figures on the relative numbers of forum readers using desktops versus mobile devices? I have a decent smartphone with LTE. But the forum is something I us sitting down at home on a desktop, not while strolling around.

5) Actually, I just tried the home page on my smartphone--which it appears I've never done before--and it adjusts to the screen width, and it is perfectly usable, with a reasonable font size, and I can read it easily with my 70-year-old eyes. Furthermore, it works usably in either portrait or landscape orientation which is most definitely not the case with many mobile-optimized apps.

What, exactly, is wrong with the home page on smartphones--other than not being up to fashion trends?

P.S. I'm saying "smartphones" quite deliberately, because to me, my 9.7" Samsung tablet is also a "mobile device," but of course the home page is fine on its 2048x1536 screen. The issue is not whether you can carry the device, it's whether the device has a) a small b) touchscreen. When I am actually traveling, I use the tablet in my hotel room, not my smartphone while hiking Devils Tower.
I use my 5" smartphone for 95% of my BH reading and posting (like right now ).
I use the New Posts screen as my starting point and it works Just Fine. I tend to use portrait mode unless I need to expand a graph or something.

And my smartphone works fine on the forum with WiFi while sitting in an easy chair. One doesn't have to use cellular data while wandering around, though I often do when I'm riding in a car, for instance...
Attempted new signature...
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

John151 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:27 pm
Tamalak wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 am ... All the OP is asking for is for the front page to be consistent with the professionalism of the sub-form pages. ...
+1 That's what I use.
I wasn't aware of that page and at first glance it looks good. What I don't see is a "mark topics read" link.

When I go to a forum from the board index page (index.php). I scan through the topics, read the ones that interest me, click on "Mark topics read" then click on the forum index link which gets me a refreshed list of forums with those having new posts highlighted.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

UpsetRaptor wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:25 pm
mrc wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:54 am I hear Edward Jones has a pretty snazzy landing page. :wink:
I know that was in jest, but it's true. And if a random fella spent a few minutes surfing the net to try to find financial advice, most FA sites would come across as far more professional than BH.com.

The point of a better, more professional, entry page is not to make it easier for those of us posting in this thread, so that we have milliseconds less of search time on our phone screens or whatever. We're already bogleheads. It'd be to give a better first impression to try to help lure those who haven't found the light yet.
I was drawn to the site because of the simplicity. It did, and does, stand out.

Back to the prior comments. What persuades one may have an opposite impact on another.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

bertilak wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:26 pm
John151 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:27 pm
+1 That's what I use.
I wasn't aware of that page and at first glance it looks good. What I don't see is a "mark topics read" link.

When I go to a forum from the board index page (index.php). I scan through the topics, read the ones that interest me, click on "Mark topics read" then click on the forum index link which gets me a refreshed list of forums with those having new posts highlighted.
Just under the site logo, the header (top) of every forum page has "Quick links". This is a drop-down menu which contains:

- Your posts
- Unread posts
- Unanswered topics
- Active topics

and a few more which I haven't listed. If you're not logged in, you'll see less.

For mobile readers, the "Quick links" is replaced by the menu icon (3 horizontal bars). Touching the icon will bring up the same menu. (There's no site logo in mobile view, just the large text "Bogleheads.org" link to the home page.)
========================

As for "Mark topics read", the only way to do this is how you've described - via the forum view. I didn't write the forum software, but that's how it works.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

As a creative director by profession, I like how simple the pages are and how well it communicates.
Could it be better? sure anything can be better. Keep it as is.

Post by 2015 »

Aesthetics would be the very last thing on my mind were it to even cross my mind when seeking valuable, actionable information. The world is full of noise obscuring signal and with seemingly never ending external sources seeking the seduction of our eyeballs, our time, our life. Perhaps the most valuable competency of our age is the development of information and distraction filters. There's a reason Steve Jobs defaulted to saying "no".
zuma

Post by zuma »

dollar_elbow wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 pm Switch to a sans serif font. Subjectively, I find Times New Roman to be an ugly font for web pages and so do many professional web designers, hence why most major websites don't use it.
I also think Times New Roman is ugly, but the Bogleheads website doesn't choose which serif font to display for you. Your browser settings determine which serif font is used.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

The forum is free, and the front page is fine.

(would be my vote if this were a poll)
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I don't care for the "front page" but I don't worry about it. I prefer the index, because I like to read threads by forum.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

mariezzz wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:03 pm Would post a screenshot, but don't seem to have that option.
Posting images in the Bogleheads forum may be helpful.
bryansmile

Post by bryansmile »

I like it. It sets us apart from all the fancy websites.
Also, whatever works, at the lowest cost to maintain...
anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker »

I find the front page quite beautiful.
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

I just wish we could make the color blue that is used more subtle, like the navy blue on the internal pages. That shade of bright blue is a standard “default” html css blue, and what marks the page as old school looking, along with the screaming red links.

I had a friend come into a very big windfall. I suggested he visit bogleheads for advice, wiki, etc. he pulled up the page then and there on his laptop, turned the screen to me, and said “this site?” With an incredulous look on his face. Like, 1999 called, and wants it’s home page back.

So yes, it can be offputting to the uninitiated. I urged him to click a link to show him that a more modern stylesheet would load. But the first impression was already made. I remember thinking we as bogleheads had lost an opportunity.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

As a new user, the formatting is somewhat challenging on first impression.

But after using it for a while and exploring for a bit, the site has a simple beauty. I'm fine with it as is.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
bnrtgb

Post by bnrtgb »

If I am being presumptuous, the only change to the front I suggest is to separate it so as to have the top portion of the page be the recently active financial threads and the bottom be the consumer stuff (should I get a new car? what kind of shoes should I buy, etc). My only frustration comes in picking through the consumer thread weeds to find the financial threads.

Other than that, no fancy stuff on the front page! :) :sharebeer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Always feel free to make a suggestion.

The top of the listing has links. Click / tap on Subforum to sort by the forum. Mobile users will see less information, but Subforum is available.

The forums are sorted in the order they were initially setup. The first forum on this site is Investing - Help with Personal Investments, as helping investors is the primary purpose of this site. Since the consumer forum was one of the last forums to be configured, it shows up last.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Nuurd

Post by Nuurd »

I find the front page easy to read and use on both desktop and mobile. No need to change for its own sake :)

Thanks for the great site!
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

zuma wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:14 am
dollar_elbow wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 pm Switch to a sans serif font. Subjectively, I find Times New Roman to be an ugly font for web pages and so do many professional web designers, hence why most major websites don't use it.
I also think Times New Roman is ugly, but the Bogleheads website doesn't choose which serif font to display for you. Your browser settings determine which serif font is used.
You know, I had not noticed this before, but I just realized that my browser (Chrome 66.0.3359.181 on Linux Mint) is displaying bogleheads.org using a sans serif font.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

bnrtgb wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:59 am If I am being presumptuous, the only change to the front I suggest is to separate it so as to have the top portion of the page be the recently active financial threads and the bottom be the consumer stuff (should I get a new car? what kind of shoes should I buy, etc). My only frustration comes in picking through the consumer thread weeds to find the financial threads.
Why not use the index then? You can read all the financial sub-forums and skip or skim Personal Consumer.
drdrgolf

Post by drdrgolf »

If it ain't broke.......
Beauty is in the eye of the .........
Thank you to all who make this such a wonderful landing place.

Dominic
Dominic
bnrtgb

Post by bnrtgb »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:34 am ^^^ Always feel free to make a suggestion.
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:23 am
Why not use the index then? You can read all the financial sub-forums and skip or skim Personal Consumer.
Thanks LadyGeek & Earl. I appreciate all the work that goes into managing and running this incredible resource. Clicking on sub-forum accomplishes about 80% of what I'm suggesting and I can live with the other 20% ;)
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:34 am ^^^ Always feel free to make a suggestion.

The top of the listing has links. Click / tap on Subforum to sort by the forum. Mobile users will see less information, but Subforum is available.

The forums are sorted in the order they were initially setup. The first forum on this site is Investing - Help with Personal Investments, as helping investors is the primary purpose of this site. Since the consumer forum was one of the last forums to be configured, it shows up last.
Interesting. Had not before tried the Subforum page.

Instead, I select from the homepage listing, the topics with interesting titles. As a result, I occasionally stumble into an interesting theory topic. (I typically avoid theory topics as they are mostly beyond my math ability. I prefer theories with simple action steps: "buy the whole market", "age in bonds",....)

Example. Recently nisiprius and bobcat2 discussed the difference between a "hedge vs. diversification" in viewtopic.php?f=10&t=248269 . Not that I understood it, but it was interesting. (I believe nisi's position is that more angels can dance on the head of a pin, than bobcat believes. :) )

So by using the BH homepage and ignoring subforums, I've inadvertently exposed myself to more than I would have otherwise.

But it is nice to know the Subforum page exists.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
siamond

Post by siamond »

Totally agreed with the OP.

Just make the board index the official home page of the site, ditch the old home page (which doesn't add any value), problem solved.

And one less thing for volunteers to maintain and for posters to argue about.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

siamond wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:15 pm Totally agreed with the OP.

Just make the board index the official home page of the site, ditch the old home page (which doesn't add any value), problem solved.

Please don't do this.

I love it the way it is and it's very mobile friendly.
"In the short run, the stock market is a voting machine; in the long run, it is a weighing machine" ~Benjamin Graham
mdavis6890

Post by mdavis6890 »

I ran over to my computer to post this, without reading beyond the first few posts.

PLEASE DO NOT MODERNIZE THE FRONT PAGE IN ANY WAY.

"Modern" web pages mostly suck, and are actually much slower than web pages were 10 years ago. They contain many megabytes of javascript crap, basically all of which is used for tracking and advertising. "Links" aren't links. "Buttons" aren't buttons. It's awful, and I hate it.

This forum is an oasis of common sense functionality for me. Please don't change it.

Also, specifically about the front page: I really like it, and would rather than than the main forum index page. It works great on mobile as others have said, plus it's a running list of the most recent posts from ALL the subs. No need to click into each one to see what's recent.
Last edited by mdavis6890 on Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

What, exactly, is the problem here, people?
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

jason2459 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:20 pm
siamond wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:15 pm Totally agreed with the OP.

Please don't do this.

I love it the way it is and it's very mobile friendly.
+1. The old home page provides a very useful index to all forums... let's me see every forum at once.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

... and it smells funny too
*sniff* oh wait, that's me :? :oops:
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

mdavis6890 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:22 pm It works great on mobile as others have said, plus it's a running list of the most recent posts from ALL the subs. No need to click into each one to see what's recent.
dratkinson wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:37 pm The old home page provides a very useful index to all forums... let's me see every forum at once.
So does search.php?search_id=active_topics

Each has it's supporters and there is no requirement to use one or the other. The choice is yours.

I've made mine,
Peculiar_Investor wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:57 am Personally, I don't find any value in the current front page and I consider the forum software (phpBB) index page, aka index.php as the home page and that is what I've bookmarked and use as my anchor point for browsing the Bogleheads site. As others have mentioned, the forum software provides a page that is somewhat equivalent to the current front page, Active topics, but I find that given the volume of posting that occurs on the Bogleheads forum and the fact that I only visit a couple of times a day.
I frequent a number of boards that run phpBB, so my 'home page' bookmark for each provides a common navigation look and feel.

The Bogleheads homepage is a one-of, unique, tool. If you like it and it works for you, so be it.
wander

Post by wander »

The content is more important.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

wander wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:51 pm The content is more important.
And the content is good.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)