Software for analysing portfolio returns

For residents of the United Arab Emirates.
Topic Author
ags

Software for analysing portfolio returns

Post by ags »

Greetings,

I am looking for a software that can analyse portfolio returns of mutual funds / ETF issued by European / US AMC. I am currently doing these in Excel sheets which is a bit cumbersome.

Personal Capital comes highly recommended by Google. However, it is only available to those with a valid US number.

Would be grateful for any other recommendations based on personal experience?

Thanks
AGS
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Re: Software for analysing portfolio returns

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Have you looked at the wiki's Calculating personal returns - Bogleheads and the accompanying forum discussion in A Returns Spreadsheet for Bogleheads.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

What exactly are you trying to analyze? The trickiest thing is usually getting the base data.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
krasnall

Post by krasnall »

I'm using Portfolio Performance. It take a while to set it up, but I haven't found anything better.
Topic Author
ags

Post by ags »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:20 am Have you looked at the wiki's Calculating personal returns - Bogleheads and the accompanying forum discussion in A Returns Spreadsheet for Bogleheads.
Thanks, I will check this.
Topic Author
ags

Post by ags »

alex_686 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:23 am What exactly are you trying to analyze? The trickiest thing is usually getting the base data.
Hi,

I have the purchase price and dividend income. Latest market price is downloaded manually and then the XIRR is calculated. I would also like to see returns over time - such calendar year, YTD etc.

Thanks
Topic Author
ags

Post by ags »

krasnall wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:43 am I'm using Portfolio Performance. It take a while to set it up, but I haven't found anything better.
Hi,

Thanks for the recommendation, I will surely check it. In addition to ETFs, does this work for managed funds, individual stocks etc?

Regards
krasnall

Post by krasnall »

Works with stocks and should work with some mutual funds, but I don't have experience with those. You can always add your own price data from a CSV file.
Topic Author
ags

Post by ags »

krasnall wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:42 am Works with stocks and should work with some mutual funds, but I don't have experience with those. You can always add your own price data from a CSV file.
Thanks for the response.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

ags wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:17 am
alex_686 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:23 am What exactly are you trying to analyze? The trickiest thing is usually getting the base data.
Hi,

I have the purchase price and dividend income. Latest market price is downloaded manually and then the XIRR is calculated. I would also like to see returns over time - such calendar year, YTD etc.

Thanks
If dividends are reinvested in the same holding, you can ignore them. Note that XIRR will always try to "annualize" the returns and will be incorrect for periods of less than 1 yr.
soloraj

Post by soloraj »

I use Sharesight which has good reporting functionaily and has a pricing feeds from most major markets. It also syncs directly with Interactive Brokers and for many other brokers, portfolios can be updated from trade confimration emails. The free version allows tracking up to 10 holdings.

Below is my refer a friend link for a 10% discount (I get a 10$ credit)

https://portfolio.sharesight.com/refer/HWA71
ashchan

Post by ashchan »

ags wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:23 am
Peculiar_Investor wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:20 am Have you looked at the wiki's Calculating personal returns - Bogleheads and the accompanying forum discussion in A Returns Spreadsheet for Bogleheads.
That's a really great tool. It's a spreadsheet to show your returns (1 mo, 6 mo, YTD, 3 yr, etc). What you have to do is simply fill in three values for each account at the end of every month.

I've been using it for a while, and am building a macOS application to duplicate its features so I can track multiple portfolio in one place.
assyadh

Post by assyadh »

ashchan wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:45 pm
ags wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:23 am
That's a really great tool. It's a spreadsheet to show your returns (1 mo, 6 mo, YTD, 3 yr, etc). What you have to do is simply fill in three values for each account at the end of every month.

I've been using it for a while, and am building a macOS application to duplicate its features so I can track multiple portfolio in one place.

I have been using this spreadsheet for years now. (a modified version). It is amazing.