Choosing exchanges with Interactive Brokers

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
Munich Investor

Choosing exchanges with Interactive Brokers

Post by Munich Investor »

Dear fellow bogleheads,

I am an EU based Investor and I just moved my accounts from degiro to IBKR Ireland.

As I am new to IBKR i was wondering how to buy ETFs from specific exchanges. For example how do I buy Vanguard FTSE Developed Europe UCITS Distributing) with the ticker VEUR from a German exchange. It seems like I can only buy it from Amsterdam stock exchange, which of course would be fine too.

Do I need to install the TWS in order to trade on specific exchanges as I currently use only the regular client portal? Any hints are highly appreciated.
michoco911

Re: Choosing exchanges with Interactive Brokers

Post by michoco911 »

Hi
Always check the Ticker (Stock code) fact sheet.
ETFs might have different tickers on different exchanges or in different currencies.
In your case, check VGEU on Deutsche Borse.
60% VWRD 40% AGGG until further notice
hithere

Post by hithere »

The official ticker on XETRA - VGEU, doesn't seem to work. Try searching for ISIN instead of ticker. IE00B945VV12 in this case. When I do this, IBKR Mobile allows me to trade the ETF on FWB and GETTEX among others. I assume the same exchanges would show up in the web interface as well.

I don't know why you need to use these specific exchanges, but given that IB doesn't normally show them for this ETF, I would make sure that there is enough liquidity before trading there.
Topic Author
Munich Investor

Many thanks for your replies. I tried the IBKR mobile app and indeed the ISIN search worked just fine with all possible exchanges listed as well, whereas the web interface somehow can't handle the ISIN search and does not show all exchanges - at least in my case.

Indeed I don't need a specific exchange but I was used to be able to select the exchanges with my previous brokers, thus i was wondering what is the deal here with IBKR. Thanks again!
masni

Post by masni »

hithere wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:13 am The official ticker on XETRA - VGEU, doesn't seem to work. Try searching for ISIN instead of ticker. IE00B945VV12 in this case. When I do this, IBKR Mobile allows me to trade the ETF on FWB and GETTEX among others. I assume the same exchanges would show up in the web interface as well.

I don't know why you need to use these specific exchanges, but given that IB doesn't normally show them for this ETF, I would make sure that there is enough liquidity before trading there.
I would check the various cost associated of buying from each exchange. For example buying something in FR has tax surcharge, as compared to say Germany.
DJN

Post by DJN »

Hi,
try using the TWS (IBKR trader workstation) this should show more if not all the available exchanges.
If you cannot find the particular one there, then ask IBKR to add the security "from" that exchange.
DJN
Yah shure. | Have a look at the Bogleheads Wiki in the first instance.
Topic Author
Munich Investor

Thanks for the replies. I now also downloaded the TWS, once you get used to the interface you will find all the available options.