IBKR vs eTORO?

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
BoglyIndex

IBKR vs eTORO?

Post by BoglyIndex »

I was wondering what the consensus is on which broker to use. Degiro sadly raised their FX fees to 0.25 compared to 0.02 from IBKR, so I'm looking for an alternative. Using IBKR has been a pain, but somehow etoro sketches me out a lot.

In addition, I was wondering how etoro manages to sell me non-KIID stocks within the EU, while it shouldn't be possible.
DJN

Re: IBKR vs eTORO?

Post by DJN »

Hi,
on a purely scientific basis and having due regard to their respective TV adverts I will never be tempted to use e-Toro.
At least IBKR sticks to markets and data related to markets in their adverts.
DJN
Yah shure. | Have a look at the Bogleheads Wiki in the first instance.
Mors

Post by Mors »

Hi, on top of dubious advertising tactics, eToro has an inadequate number of UCITS etfs, you will not be able to build a so well diversified portfolio if you do not intend to buy US domiciled etfs, which probably is the case if you are using Degiro.

IBKR is a great choice. Trading212 also has some great functionallities like Pies and gives access with zero commisions to a wide range of UCITS etfs.
XtremePWN

Post by XtremePWN »

A well established broker with over 4 decades of history and listed on the New York Stock Exchange (IBKR) versus a Cyprus tax haven company that heavily advertises CFD's and has slightly high fees (eToro). Very difficult choice!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

XtremePWN wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:25 pm A well established broker with over 4 decades of history and listed on the New York Stock Exchange (IBKR) versus a Cyprus tax haven company that heavily advertises CFD's and has slightly high fees (eToro). Very difficult choice!
What could go wrong? :twisted:

OP, trust your first impression: "...somehow etoro sketches me out a lot."
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

IBKR is a good broker. Some complain about the complexity of TWS/Mosaic, but I have used worse. It reminds me of a Unix X application.
Stork

Post by Stork »

We came across this: https://www.bankeronwheels.com/how-to-c ... ck-broker/

We decided to split our investments between DeGiro and Interactive Brokers; Saxo Bank fell due to high charges. We also considered Banco Carregosa (regulated as a bank, direct access to at least some of the markets) which had a lot going for it but decided 2 were enough.