Aus / DHHF OR VDHG for long term?

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
skyhigh872

Aus / DHHF OR VDHG for long term?

Post by skyhigh872 »

Hey im in my 20s and going to be in it for the longterm
What are your thoughts on dhhf vs vdhg would i be better off in dhhf as it is 100% equitys? Once im older in age u can change funds or i can add bonds in ?
Vdhg has 10% bonds and has a small percentage on international shares that are hedged also these are the main differences.
As for actually putting the money in would i be better off with commsec as they charge the same 1 off flat fee ? Where as vanguard charges percentage and im.not sure about beta shares if they charge a percentage like vanguard too
Laurizas

Re: Aus / DHHF OR VDHG for long term?

Post by Laurizas »

Could you provide the full name of the funds you are referring?
SR7

Post by SR7 »

I’m not the OP, but I believe it these two ETF’s based in Australia

- VDHG (Vanguard Diversified High Growth) it’s a 90/10 portfolio
Asset allocation (%)
Growth assets
Vanguard Australian Shares Index Fund (Wholesale) 35.9%
Vanguard International Shares Index Fund (Wholesale) 26.6%
Vanguard International Shares Index Fund (Hedged) - AUD Class (Wholesale) 16.0 %
Vanguard International Small Companies Index Fund (Wholesale) 6.4 %
Vanguard Emerging Markets Shares Index Fund (Wholesale) 5.1 %

Income assets
Vanguard Global Aggregate Bond Index Fund (Hedged) 7.0
Vanguard Australian Fixed Interest Index Fund (Wholesale) 3.0

- DHHF (BetaShares Diversified All Growth ETF) it’s 100% stock
“ The ETF has a 100% allocation to shares, and is invested in a blend of large, mid and small cap equities from Australia, global developed and emerging markets, offering investors exposure to an ‘all-cap, all-world’ share portfolio with the potential for high growth over the long term. The ETF provides exposure to approximately 8,000 equity securities listed on over 60 global exchanges, in one ASX trade.”
I studied Physics not Finance, so best to ignore anything I say about money.
andrew99999

Post by andrew99999 »

VDHG and DHHF are both good options. The 10% in bonds isn't going to cripple your returns. Historically it has resulted in 96.5% of the annual returns (but less volatility), so it's not a deal-breaker.

I prefer a low-cost chess sponsored broker like Selfwealth or OpenTrader to Commsec due to lower fees and just as good.

Between Vanguard Personal Investors (VPI) and those, I would choose a brokerage, but I don't think it's a huge difference now that they lowered the fee to $9 per trade (+ 0.10% for non-Vanguard ETFs).

--

As you are older, you shouldn't "change" because that means selling and realising capital gains, and you miss out on earning money on those otherwise delayed tax payments. Instead, just add a bond fund and do the rebalancing yourself each year.