Paper Uk shares held.

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
Investnewbie01

Paper Uk shares held.

Post by Investnewbie01 »

Hi
So a good friend who had dual nationality, living in the US , has paper shares held in the UK. Can anybody recommend a company that can assist in trading these, giving investment advice. My understanding as a non Uk resident you cannot trade yourself in the UK.
Any advice welcome?
ikowik

Re: Paper Uk shares held.

Post by ikowik »

Long time ago- in 1990s- I had paper UK shares. BT shares I bought when it was first publicly offered in UK. When I came to USA, it became a chore to keep track, cash dividend checks issued in British pounds. I transferred them to Vanguard. It took a few phone calls, I signed the back and Vanguard accepted it. Kept it for some more years, and when I decided to sell it, I entered an order on Vanguard website specifying the lowest offer I would accept. After a few tries, it sold.
Topic Author
Investnewbie01

Post by Investnewbie01 »

Many thanks for this, was it Vanguard UK or the US branch you sold them with?
Many thanks
C
ikowik

Post by ikowik »

Vanguard USA.
Topic Author
Investnewbie01

Post by Investnewbie01 »

Thanks
nycbudgetq

Post by nycbudgetq »

I was in this situation (without dual citizenship). I sent my foreign paper certificate to Schwab USA, who were able to custodian them for me and allow me to transact.