Investing in EU domiciled ETFs in Thailand and moving continents

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
mamba16

Investing in EU domiciled ETFs in Thailand and moving continents

Post by mamba16 »

Hello Bogleheads!

After reading The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing and The Simple Path to Wealth I finally decided to invest some money laying in a bank account. I am in a situation, where I currently live and work in Thailand but in few months moving back to Denmark (EU). And in 2022 (hopefully) back to my home country - Lithuania (EU).

Where I am planning to invest.
As I want to get my money to start working for me asap, I did a little research and it seems that IB is the most suitable broker choice for me, fairly inexpensive and active in all 3 countries. I want to keep my investment as simple as possible, with the most focus in EU domiciled ETFs (VWCE).
Now I have few questions and hopefully, you guys could help me out.

Questions
1.Can I buy EU domiciled ETFs if I create the IB account in Thailand? It might be a stupid question, but I am wondering if the location where the account created grants access only to particular ETFs. I am not interested in US-domiciled funds, as I am planning to live in Europe and pay taxes there.
2.When I move back to Europe, can I transfer my assets internally from Thailand within IB without the need to sell the positions and pay taxes? In the IB website, it states that if you move from one EU country to another it is not a problem, but I don’t if the same applies when moving from Asia to Europe.
3.Is there something else I should be taking into consideration in terms of moving countries and continents?

I really appreciate all your input and let me know if something from the above looks like total nonsense :oops: