VWRA vs VWRD vs VWRP

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
ckerr83

VWRA vs VWRD vs VWRP

Post by ckerr83 »

Hi,

I'm relatively new to indexing, I've been investing mainly in VWRD for around 2 years and I decided to start buying the same investment in GBP since I'm originally from the UK.

I've noticed that the performance of VWRP vs VWRA vs VWRD don't always mirror one and other, I would have thought, since they all hold the same underlying assets, they would increase/decrease at the same % rate but this is very rarely the case.

Am I missing something obvious? it makes no sense to me.
oogZoo

Re: VWRA vs VWRD vs VWRP

Post by oogZoo »

ckerr83 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:52 am I've noticed that the performance of VWRP vs VWRA vs VWRD don't always mirror one and other, I would have thought, since they all hold the same underlying assets, they would increase/decrease at the same % rate but this is very rarely the case.

Am I missing something obvious? it makes no sense to me.
Yes.

The change percentage is obviously different when you are comparing the share price in different currencies. The currency exchange rate is changing. If you convert the price of VWRP from GBP to USD every day and compare that to VWRA, then they should be identical.

Also you are comparing accumulating (VWRP+VWRA) and distributing (VWRD) funds.
galeno

Re: VWRA vs VWRD vs VWRP

Post by galeno »

We live in the Americas. We hold VWRD.

We use the "portfolio" tool on UK Morningstar which gives performance (return) in GBP.

Which we then convert to USD. The return is always different depending on the difference in valuation between the GBP and the USD.
KISS & STC.