US Based Prepaid Debit Card

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
Neus

US Based Prepaid Debit Card

Post by Neus »

Anyone using US based prepaid debit card that can be purchased online? Which provider is recommended?

Some US site accept only US based credit card so my non US credit card is not accepted, for example, I want to switch to US app store but they ask for US credit card
whodidntante

Re: US Based Prepaid Debit Card

Post by whodidntante »

I'm an American so my suggestions may not work for you.

I've bought prepaid debit cards online from giftcards.com, giftcardmall, Staples, Office Depot, Amazon, Walmart, BJ's, and directly from American Express. Some rebate sites also pay you in virtual debit cards. I don't know if any of them will ship to a foreign address. I would probably go the route of buying a virtual debit card, since you plan to use it online.

I wonder what would happen if you opened an Interactive Brokers account and requested the debit card. That might be something to Google or to ask them about.
Topic Author
Neus

Post by Neus »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:24 pm I'm an American so my suggestions may not work for you.

I've bought prepaid debit cards online from giftcards.com, giftcardmall, Staples, Office Depot, Amazon, Walmart, BJ's, and directly from American Express. Some rebate sites also pay you in virtual debit cards. I don't know if any of them will ship to a foreign address. I would probably go the route of buying a virtual debit card, since you plan to use it online.

I wonder what would happen if you opened an Interactive Brokers account and requested the debit card. That might be something to Google or to ask them about.
Thanks, will check your suggestions
glorat

Post by glorat »

Neus wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:54 am Some US site accept only US based credit card so my non US credit card is not accepted, for example, I want to switch to US app store but they ask for US credit card
From what friends have told me, it is not whether it is a US based credit care that matters for online stores but whether the credit card is linked to a US billing address.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I buy pre-paid visa and master card when my grocery offers gas points for the purchase. I have found that many online vendors will not accept them. Most recently, Gazelle would not accept a visa gc registered to me and my address. Government entities are hit and miss. I have been able to re-register my cars in Mass with them and their site even told me at the first decline that the card needed to be registered. I did that and it worked fine. Let me think....ok....insurance would not accept one even when registered. So even for 100% in-US people, this isn't guaranteed that you're going to be able to use them everywhere. In person tends to work more often for me.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid