Questions on SIPP (UK)

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
Lauretta

Questions on SIPP (UK)

Post by Lauretta »

Until recently I had planned to retire in Italy (my country of birth) but my personal circustances are changing (life is full of surprises :happy ). I am not 100% sure yet, but I think I'll probably settle in the UK, where I am presently resident, for at least many years to come.

I am 50, I never had a SIPP, but I have started to read about this type of scheme. I am on a long sabbatical, I don't know whether I'll work again; I think it's very unlikely that I'll do any paid work in the future. I have income in the UK from properties I own. And some saving. But my main assets are in Italy since until recently I planned to live there.

Questions:
- Can I open a SIPP now using income from rental properties (as opposed to income from a job) as the source of investment? (on the internet I didn't find anything against this but just wanted to check). Can I also invest money in a SIPP coming from other sources (like from cash savings, or by selling an ETF in a normal account and buying an investment in a SIPP)? I imagine in the latter case, even if it were possible, there wouldn't be any tax relief, right?

- Also, is it worth to open a SIPP given my circumstances I briefly described?
When everyone is thinking the same, no one is thinking at all
Genghis

Re: Questions on SIPP (UK)

Post by Genghis »

Given you’ve no “relevant earnings for pension contributions”, the maximum you can put into a SIPP is £3,600 per tax year, £2,880 actual money paid in grossed up to £3,600 with automatically claimed tax relief.

Take a look at under “Earnings that attract tax relief”:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... /ptm044100
Topic Author
Lauretta

Post by Lauretta »

Genghis wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:36 am Given you’ve no “relevant earnings for pension contributions”, the maximum you can put into a SIPP is £3,600 per tax year, £2,880 actual money paid in grossed up to £3,600 with automatically claimed tax relief.

Take a look at under “Earnings that attract tax relief”:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... /ptm044100
that's a good website, thanks. More exhaustive than the information I got from brokers websites. So I gather that rental property does not count, unless you do short term furnished lettings, which is more of an active business.
When everyone is thinking the same, no one is thinking at all
TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet »

Lauretta wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:40 am I am 50, I never had a SIPP, but I have started to read about this type of scheme. ...
Just FYI, we have a wiki page specifically for UK personal pensions. It covers SIPPs, and also most of the rules around allowances, drawdown and so on, and hopefully should provide links/references to a reasonable selection of useful resources for you. You can find it here:

UK personal pensions - Bogleheads

If you notice anything missing or incorrect in this, please let me know and I will fix it.