Bitcoin Exchange Traded Crypto (BTCE)

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
tre3sori

Bitcoin Exchange Traded Crypto (BTCE)

Post by tre3sori »

ETF provider HanETF launched an "innovative ETC for a modern portfolio" in June 2020:

ISIN: DE000A27Z304
Ticker: BTCE
Exchange: Xetra
Name: BTCetc Bitcoin Exchange Traded Crypto (BTCE)
AUM: $ 4.344 M
TER: 2.00%

Is there an investment case (diversification)?
Would anyone here invest? (Some people seem to have invested already.)
Should I recommend it to my brother who wants to invest in bitcoin. (He is bad at computers and does not know how to handle a wallet)
Do I need a modern portfolio myself? Do I have an outdated portfolio with 34% Real Estate, 40% Global Stocks, 17% Global Bonds, 6% Gold, 3% Cash made up of components that nobody of the Bitcoin Generation will pay for in the future? (I am 50+ years old.)
How should a modern portfolio look today. Just curious.
What do you think?
Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep by him in reserve. Talmud | 34% Real Estate, 43% VGWL, 16% VAGE, 5% 8PSG, 2% Cash
Valuethinker

Re: Bitcoin Exchange Traded Crypto (BTCE)

Post by Valuethinker »

tre3sori wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:09 am ETF provider HanETF launched an "innovative ETC for a modern portfolio" in June 2020:

Should I recommend it to my brother who wants to invest in bitcoin. (He is bad at computers and does not know how to handle a wallet)
Do I need a modern portfolio myself? Do I have an outdated portfolio with 34% Real Estate, 40% Global Stocks, 17% Global Bonds, 6% Gold, 3% Cash made up of components that nobody of the Bitcoin Generation will pay for in the future? (I am 50+ years old.)
What do you think?
2% expense ratio!

There goes your excess returns.
steve321

Post by steve321 »

tre3sori wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:09 am ETF provider HanETF launched an "innovative ETC for a modern portfolio" in June 2020:

What do you think?
Why not buy bitcoin directly? I am actually trading it based on momentum, only a small fraction of my portfolio I must say, more for fun than anything else. Don't see the point of an ETC. Just buy it from a place with a narrow bid ask spread and either hold it or trade it based on your thoughts of what works best (and your temperament).
Success does not bring happiness. In fact, happiness IS success. | 'There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.' Oscar Wilde
IcedTea

Post by IcedTea »

I don't see the rational of investing (!!!) In bitcoin. Same reason i don't do Forex, not sure how capital is allocated to the economy when I buy currency ...
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Where do you live? I don't think it is even available in the United States. Morningstar is showing it as a "foreign security." That probably means it couldn't get past US regulators. If that's true, that ought to be a red flag even if you don't live in the US.

Hoo hah:
"BTCE delivers physical Bitcoin exposure with the safety and liquidity of an exchange traded product” Bradley Duke, ETC Group...

The ETC is 100% physically backed by Bitcoin.
What does that even mean? That just sounds like complete nonsense to me. How can something be "physically backed" by something that has no physical existence? Perhaps they have an explanation but I would be reluctant from a vendor whose basic description seems to rely on private definitions of ordinary words.
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Schlabba

Post by Schlabba »

What do you think?
What is your, and your brothers, investment goals, beliefs and risk tolerance?
Once you have a goal and a set of beliefs you’d like to stick to, then you could start looking at how to achieve that goal.

I think in this post you first found a tool, and then you look for how you can apply that tool to work for you.

I wildly disagree with holding bitcoin, but some people, for instance, hold bitcoin or gold because they don’t trust their (Emerging market?) currency.
For such a case you could consider inflation-linked-bonds as well.

If your brother wants to invest in bitcoin you shouldn’t recommend him an ETC or any other product, you should recommend him a book like ‘the simple path to wealth’ by jl collins. Or ‘the little book of common sense investing’ by John Bogle. Those are my personal favorites :happy
Schlabba

Post by Schlabba »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:13 pm Where do you live? I don't think it is even available in the United States. Morningstar is showing it as a "foreign security." That probably means it couldn't get past US regulators. If not, that ought to be a red flag even if you don't live in the US.

Hoo hah:
"BTCE delivers physical Bitcoin exposure with the safety and liquidity of an exchange traded product” Bradley Duke, ETC Group...

What does that even mean? That just sounds like complete nonsense to me. How can something be "physically backed" by something that has no physical existence? Perhaps they have an explanation but I would be reluctant from a vendor whose basic description seems to rely on private definitions of ordinary words.
My best guess is that they have some harddrives with bitcoin on them. Maybe they are trying to say they don’t rely on some external exchange which get hacked all the time.
There was even an exchange where the founder died and only he had the password to the wallets! https://www.google.nl/amp/s/amp.cnn.com ... index.html
permport

Post by permport »

I think you are much better off buying the cryptocurrencies themselves directly.

Getting exposure via an ETF sort of defeats the very purpose of them entirely.
Buy right and hold tight.
Topic Author
tre3sori

Post by tre3sori »

Sorry, I obviously didn't get the irony through. I'm no native English speaker, so excuse me please.

I skip the Bitcoin Exchange Traded Crypto ETC for a TER of 2.00% :oops: and go with the Emerging Cancer ETF instead

mentioned by Jack Bogle in this interview (min 2:19):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrCo0m5gSfc
Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep by him in reserve. Talmud | 34% Real Estate, 43% VGWL, 16% VAGE, 5% 8PSG, 2% Cash
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

tre3sori wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:48 pm Sorry, I obviously didn't get the irony through. I'm no native English speaker, so excuse me please.

I skip the Bitcoin Exchange Traded Crypto ETC for a TER of 2.00% :oops: and go with the Emerging Cancer ETF instead

mentioned by Jack Bogle in this interview (min 2:19):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrCo0m5gSfc
:wink: :beer
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Ubersetzer

Post by Ubersetzer »

steve321 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:17 am

What do you think?
Why not buy bitcoin directly? I am actually trading it based on momentum, only a small fraction of my portfolio I must say, more for fun than anything else. Don't see the point of an ETC. Just buy it from a place with a narrow bid ask spread and either hold it or trade it based on your thoughts of what works best (and your temperament).
Where do you buy Bitcoin from?
Nightowl99

Post by Nightowl99 »

If you're wanting to have more currency diversification, with just a fraction of your portfolio, maybe you'd want to consider something like Emerging Markets Bonds instead. Just a thought. I wouldn't buy bitcoin myself, don't understand it.
"Please delete my account" -- jazzmaster | "Yeah, delete my account, too! Also, I'd like an order of flapjacks, thanks. And extra napkins."--Robot Monster
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

As someone who makes a living in the crypto industry, let me say: Run, don't walk away.

There are legit investments in the crypto industry. But there are also a lot of scams and a lot of people who exploit the greedy yet naive people who think it's a get rich quick scheme.

Avoid this.

If you want to hold bitcoin, go to a legitimate Tier 1 exchange, wire in some money, and just buy and hodl. Coinbase, Gemini and Kraken are the exchanges I recommend.

That being said, I still maintain that crypto is NOT an appropriate investment for the vast majority of people.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

Ubersetzer wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:20 pm

What do you think?
My personal accounts are at Kraken. Many people have Coinbase.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

:arrow:
permport wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:33 pm I think you are much better off buying the cryptocurrencies themselves directly.

Most people buy them to gamble/speculate so it doesn’t defeat the purpose.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Nightowl99 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:05 am If you're wanting to have more currency diversification, with just a fraction of your portfolio, maybe you'd want to consider something like Emerging Markets Bonds instead. Just a thought. I wouldn't buy bitcoin myself, don't understand it.
If "local bonds" yes - issued domestically in the national currency.

International bonds/ Eurobonds no - they are almost always issued in USD (a few in EUR and perhaps JPY)?

I have not looked for funds/ ETFs, Irish domiciled, that invest in local bonds. Are there such?
Topic Author
tre3sori

Post by tre3sori »

I have not looked for funds/ ETFs, Irish domiciled, that invest in local bonds. Are there such?
iShares J.P. Morgan EM Local Govt Bond UCITS ETF, IE00B5M4WH52, ticker IUSP.GY
A pretty big one with AUM USD 5.8 billion.
TER 0.50% though.
Last edited by tre3sori on Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

minimalistmarc wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:12 am :arrow:
permport wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:33 pm I think you are much better off buying the cryptocurrencies themselves directly.

I am shocked... shocked ... to hear allegations of gambling in this establishment.

Yes Sir, your winnings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

https://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdf/10.1257/aer.104.6.1486 Robert Shiller on speculative bubbles

https://qz.com/1067557/robert-shiller-w ... s-bitcoin/

One of these interviews someone mentioned ICOs (Initial Coin Offerings) which Shiller had never heard of - but are a key part of the crypto story (or were). After they were mentioned he was visibly disconcerted and said he was unaware of such obviously bubble-like behaviour (investment trusts, as in up to the Crash of 1929 or the South Sea Bubble, that raised money to invest in cryptos).
permport

Post by permport »

minimalistmarc wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:12 am
Sure, that's one of the reasons.

But one of the main features of cryptocurrencies generally is to "escape" the traditional financial system and achieve personal sovereignty and privacy. Buying coins directly can allow you to do that, but an ETF would not.
Buy right and hold tight.

Post by 000 »

I would not invest in Bitcoin, but I were, I certainly wouldn't pay 2% for a fund company to do it for me.
Ubersetzer

Post by Ubersetzer »

softwaregeek wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:52 am

What do you think?
Do you have any thoughts on Binance?
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

Ubersetzer wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:56 pm
softwaregeek wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:52 am

What do you think?
Do you have any thoughts on Binance?
Binance.com is fine for non-US. They have started cracking down on US investors and booting them from the platform. Binance.US is a forgotten pale shadow. They are legit but I don't see the benefits.

My personal recommendation list:

1. Kraken
2. Coinbase
3. Gemini

Kraken has low commissions but considers itself an investment platform. Coinbase has higher commissions but a wallet so you can transact business through it. I haven't tried Gemini personally but they are ultra respected as well .
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

I should also add - Kraken and Gemini are primarily institutional, but also do individuals. Coinbase has a huge individual business as well.

Gemini has a bitlicense, which means it is regulated by the state of NY.

Kraken does not do business in NY, they have refused to get their bitlicense on ideological grounds. They are hardcore privacy activists but do have some incredibly sophisticated auditing, that is open source. I haven't seen anything else like it publicly, although I assume others have it privately.

Coinbase is the biggest and will be a massive IPO next year.

Most of the crypto industry people I know go with Kraken or Coinbase.
Anon9001

Post by Anon9001 »

Do not buy this. Insane fees. Does it at least give you tax advantage over Coinbase?
Land/Real Estate:89.0% Equities:5.0% Bonds:2.0% Gold:1.7% Cash:1.7% Cryptocurrency:0.2%
Ubersetzer

Post by Ubersetzer »

Fees for Binance are lower than or comparable to Coinbase - aren't they?

I assumed this board was for non-US investors so I'm not concerned with US policies.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

Ubersetzer wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:20 pm Fees for Binance are lower than or comparable to Coinbase - aren't they?

I assumed this board was for non-US investors so I'm not concerned with US policies.
Ah, missed that I was on the non-US board. Yes, Binance is good if you can access the *Main* binance site. OUtside US:

Coinbase
Kraken
Bitfinex
Binance

Exchanges I personally would Avoid, although I have no personal experience with:

BitMex - https://coingeek.com/bitmex-founders-in ... regulator/

OKEx - https://beincrypto.com/okex-ceo-address ... uspension/

Huobi - https://cryptoticker.io/en/huobi-rumors-bizarre/

Also, consider banking products that do crypto like Revolut. Their product looks interesting and I hear the team behind it is legit, but haven't tried it personally.
Ubersetzer

Post by Ubersetzer »

softwaregeek wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:34 am
Ubersetzer wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:20 pm Fees for Binance are lower than or comparable to Coinbase - aren't they?

Ah, missed that I was on the non-US board. Yes, Binance is good if you can access the *Main* binance site. OUtside US:

Coinbase
Kraken
Bitfinex
Binance

Exchanges I personally would Avoid, although I have no personal experience with:

Also, consider banking products that do crypto like Revolut. Their product looks interesting and I hear the team behind it is legit, but haven't tried it personally.
Thanks! : )

I find it difficult to understand fees of Kraken vs Binance. In what I see, Kraken has a 0.16% / 0.26% (Maker/Taker Fee) while Binance has a 0.1% / 0.1% fee. Is that correct? If so, any particular reason to prefer Kraken over Binance?
followtheflo

Post by followtheflo »

I bought some bitcoin for the first time yesterday as a way to diversify and I will keep buying until I get to 2% or 3% of my portfolio. Whether or not you like it (I actually don't) Bitcoin is here to stay. I used Coinbase Pro and I just ordered a Ledger Nano S.

Some interesting reading: https://www.nber.org/system/files/worki ... w24877.pdf
finrod_2002

Post by finrod_2002 »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:13 pm Where do you live? I don't think it is even available in the United States. Morningstar is showing it as a "foreign security." That probably means it couldn't get past US regulators. If that's true, that ought to be a red flag even if you don't live in the US.

Hoo hah:

I guess they use hardware wallets to store the addresses of the tokens with some redundancy, which keeps them quite save. Like putting cash in a vault.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

Ubersetzer wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:03 pm
softwaregeek wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:34 am

Coinbase
Kraken
Bitfinex
Binance

Thanks! : )

I find it difficult to understand fees of Kraken vs Binance. In what I see, Kraken has a 0.16% / 0.26% (Maker/Taker Fee) while Binance has a 0.1% / 0.1% fee. Is that correct? If so, any particular reason to prefer Kraken over Binance?
This is a trust thing. In two ways. First, is my crypto safe, and second, is someone gonna front run my trade or give me a bad spread. Fees are the least of it. This is not an ETF and normal Boglehead rules do not apply because to some degree this is the Wild West. Kraken and Coinbase I Trust. There is a lot of unethical stuff in this industry. Not that I would say anything against Binance. They are very big and very technically sophisticated. but I still prefer to have money in US exchanges where the regulators inspire fear.