Yahoo Finance Stock Screeners for Value Investing

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
michoco911

Yahoo Finance Stock Screeners for Value Investing

Post by michoco911 »

Hello,

In his book, "The Intelligent Investor", Graham listed 7 things to watch out for, for defensive investors, when picking stocks such as:
- Assets = 2 x Liabilities
- P/E Ratio < 15
- Positive earnings for past 10 years
- Per Share Earnings Growth
- Price < 1.5 X Net Asset Value

Did anyone ever used Yahoo Finance Stock Screener to construct such as search and get a list of stocks that would qualify for the above?

Can't see to get it working.
30% VWRD 30% VUSD 40% AGGG until further notice
drk

Re: Yahoo Finance Stock Screeners for Value Investing

Post by drk »

Nowadays, the intelligent defensive investor uses one of the many excellent and inexpensive value index funds to eliminate this step. You might be particularly interested in Schwab's Fundamental Index series because it weights companies based on these criteria rather than on market cap.
Schlabba

Post by Schlabba »

michoco911 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:59 am Hello,

In his book, "The Intelligent Investor", Graham listed 7 things to watch out for, for defensive investors, when picking stocks such as:
- P/E Ratio < 15

Did anyone ever used Yahoo Finance Stock Screener to construct such as search and get a list of stocks that would qualify for the above?

Keep in mind his book was written at a time where low cost index investing was not available like it is today. He might have recommended index investing for the average investor if he was born a little later in life.
Secretly a dividend investor. Feel free to ask why.
Topic Author
michoco911

Post by michoco911 »

I am using index funds already. 90% of total amount split between 60% stock and 40% bonds.
The remaining 10% of the amount is kept for individual stock picking (just to keep my curiosity in check as i cant stand still all the time :) ) and thats why i am looking for some help through stock screener filtering.
30% VWRD 30% VUSD 40% AGGG until further notice
danielbird193

Post by danielbird193 »

It's a paid-for service, but I would highly recommend Stockopedia for this sort of thing.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

michoco911 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:59 am Hello,

- P/E Ratio < 15

Also I found the Yahoo Finance data to be often incorrect (or obscure in terms of the adjustments made) against checking the actual Report & Accounts.

Changes in GAAP mean that the Assets and Net Asset numbers for most companies are less reliable than they were. In 1970 something like 85% of the non-current assets of S&P 500 companies were tangible fixed assets. That number is now down to about 15%.

Apple as a company has a huge pool of investments. But the most valuable thing it has is its brand (no value on the BS under US GAAP, I believe), its network of suppliers (hundreds of companies) which will have minimal value on BS, and its software, which will have some value.
AkBrian

Post by AkBrian »

I'd like to point out to be careful with some Yahoo Finance data. For example, the Price/Book ratios appear to be displayed as the inverse of what they really are. For example, as I write this Yahoo is showing VB with a Price to Book Ratio of 0.45 . That would be a heck of deal. Unfortunately, Vanguard says it's really 2.2 .