Preventing Junk Mail after a refinance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
sunnyday

Preventing Junk Mail after a refinance

Post by sunnyday »

I've refinanced a couple of times and often get an influx in junk mail shortly after doing so. Most of the time it relates to mortgage insurance and they know how much my mortgage. Do a lot of mortgage companies sell or distribute your information or are the junk mailers able to look up your information? How can I prevent this?
sport

Re: Preventing Junk Mail after a refinance

Post by sport »

Where I live, mortgages are recorded by the County Recorder and are available on-line for anyone who cares to look. It is a public record.

Jeff
BYUvol

Post by BYUvol »

jsl11 wrote:Where I live, mortgages are recorded by the County Recorder and are available on-line for anyone who cares to look. It is a public record.

Jeff
Like Jeff said, its all part of public record, nothing you can do about it.

I try to maintain a positive attitude, so I look at it as my refi is doing its part to keep the USPS solvent.
lucky3

Post by lucky3 »

If you contact the DMA (Direct Marketing Association) in NYC and tell them you want to be part of the mail preference service they will have you fill out a form and much of your advertising mail will be curtailed. It won't stop it completely, but it will help a great deal. But why be upset? take the mail and put it in the recycle bin. Personally, I find TV commericals that interrupt dramas to be far more intrusive and annoying.

Lucky3
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

For this refinance, they would like me to esign an Affilated Business Arrangement Disclosure Statement. I'm guessing that along with some other partnerships / agreements is one way that affiliated businesses get the information.