Do Bogleheads buy nice suits?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
3Wood85

Do Bogleheads buy nice suits?

Post by 3Wood85 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:20 pm

How much do Bogleheads spend on suits for work? I am thinking of buying one or two on sale for about $500 each during Nordstroms yearly sale, is this the way of a Boglehead?

gpo account 2

Re: Do Bogleheads buy nice suits?

Post by gpo account 2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:23 pm

Each individual Boglehead suit is made from every individual fabric available on the market, indexed to capitalization. :D

JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:25 pm

I would say it depends on your job. I worked for a two-century-old Wall Street firm dealing with wealthy clients and there was no alternative other than buying good suits for work along with the wing tip cordovan shoes. On the other hand, my son works primarily at home and can probably work in his pajamas if he wishes.
John

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:31 pm

The last two suits I bought cost $1,600 each. They were Brooks Brother Golden Fleece Suits. They look great and last forever.

You can get better deals during Brooks Bros. sales, but you can't get the top of the line suits usually. You can definitely get one for $500 or less.
Last edited by Petrocelli on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Let me preface this by saying we don't have a Nordstroms where we live.

I don't think $500 is going overboard - it's a bit more than I spend, but it's not crazy. However, is a department store really where you are going to spend $500 on a suit? I understand it's a nice department store, but with a $500 budget, aren't there other places you could look? Maybe not, but I'd be sure to shop around.

I will also agree that how much you spend can also depend on what you can get away with. I've had $150 suits and no one could tell the difference in my office. If I worked on Wall Street, perhaps a buck-fifty suit wouldn't fly.

JT

bourg

Post by bourg » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:36 pm

I think the a Boglehead would look at the return on investment of a suit. If an expensive suit will mean you have more earning potential (like you are in high end sales) then likely the expense will pay for itself.

If the suit is for personal use, then the return on investment will be the potential attractiveness to a mate?

I go to work in shorts and a t-shirt and am often overdressed for my office since I wear shoes and socks and most of the rest of them come in flip flops. :D

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Don't even own a suit. Interviewed in a button up long sleeved shirt and tie. Don't know if I even still own those. Daily wear is slacks and polo shirts. If my company manages to push me into management I suppose I'll have to get some button up shirts.

So... zero?

GregLee

Post by GregLee » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:42 pm

I don't have a suit. I haven't worn a suit for 20 years. I had to wear a white shirt and tie the last time for a commencement ceremony about 10 years ago.
Greg, retired 8/10.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:46 pm

I'm wearing a $11 polo and $15 shorts from Target right now. And I'm barefoot.

In my private office at work.

I love working in Information Technology.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:50 pm

Although located in the executive office, this Boglehead doesn't wear suits often for work. However, we do need jeans for Friday unless unusual circumstances require standard dress code. :happy

Outside of the office, there are occasional needs for wearing a suit, although a high-end one isn't standard for most. That's for certain dealings when traveling, when you are called on to present to the board of directors and at the Christmas party.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:01 pm

A $500 suite is on the cheap side. Even for someone who might only be wearing it once a year, it would be worth spending more for something with some class, comfort, longivity, and some functional pockets. Get something you will feel good wearing, even at your bestemor's funeral. And IMO, Nordstom's is not the place to do that anyway--there are better sources for those willing to look around a little. -- Tet
Last edited by tetractys on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:01 pm

rrosenkoetter wrote:I'm wearing a $11 polo and $15 shorts from Target right now. And I'm barefoot.

In my private office at work.

I love working in Information Technology.
$11 is a bit extravagant but at least you are saving on shoes. :happy

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:30 pm

I have 1 suit. 800 dollars a few years ago. It's multi purpose. Weddings, funerals and fancy restaurants. Just change your dress shirt and tie :D
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.

Jerry_lee

Post by Jerry_lee » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Like a lot of things, price isn't as important as value. When it comes to suits, its all about construction. Fully-canvassed or even half-canvassed suits are better made and will last longer, as well as look better after multiple dry cleanings. Fused suits (basically, everything is glued together) are a lot better than they used to be, but won't last as long or continue to wear well or keep its shape. If you look at, say, the Brooksease line from Brooks Brothers, they are fused (< $500). The middle of the line are about $800-$1000 (half-canvassed), and the GF made to measure line, as well as the ready to wear is fully-canvassed. But with BB, or any name brand mens line, you pay an additional $ for the name. One of the exceptions (IMO) is the Martin Greenfield Golden Fleece line from BB mentioned above. A suite of that quality should last the better part of several decades if cared for (although I've heard the fabric selection is less than optimal).

Second most important is the quality of the wool. Obviously a suit made with something that resembles burlap after a few dry drycleanings that wears like sandpaper (these can be found at Jos A Bank, Mens Warehouse, etc.) will be cheaper than something in the Superfine 150s range, but IMO there is diminishing returns in the wool compartment. Some thread is so fine you literally will wear it out in a year or two (but you'll look good doing it!). 120s level is sort of the "all-weather" thread count, with 100 or 150 good too.

From there cost is a function of how much "handwork" goes into your suit. In the extreme, you could get a $3500+ suit from Oxxford Clothiers and it never comes close to a sewing machine (all handmade)--this would be passed down to the next generation, or a $850 Soutwick which I believe is 100% machine sewn--should get you 10-15 good years of wear if not worn more than once a week or two.

My advice: don't buy a suite from a mall or department store. Do a google search for a tailor in your area that offers a made-to-measure program and carries Southwick, Samuelson, H Freeman, Hickey Freeman. You may not want to go made-to-measure, but they will carry off the rack 1/2 to fully canvassed suits that should fit fine with slight alterations.

Everyone should own at least one good suit.
The most disciplined investor in the world.

FabLab

Post by FabLab » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:55 pm

Retired. Used to buy nice suits, then donated all but two to the village thrift store -- its proceeds go to family counseling services for area residents. Of the two retained, neither has been worn in years.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:11 pm

3Wood85 wrote:How much do Bogleheads spend on suits for work? I am thinking of buying one or two on sale for about $500 each during Nordstroms yearly sale, is this the way of a Boglehead?
"live within your means". Don't ask if you can afford a 500 dollar suit.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Jerry_lee wrote:Everyone should own at least one good suit.
Really fail to understand why. :)

newbie_Mo

Post by newbie_Mo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:25 pm

How do you deal with the ever expanding waistline?
His suit pants usually would not fit after 2 to 3 years. It would be a real waste to have to replace the nice suits after a short time.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:28 pm

For Bogleheads who like to travel, one economical solution is to buy a suit in southeast Asia if you're ever there for vacation or business.

I got a few custom tailored suits made in Thailand for $200 a piece several years back that are very good quality and have held up exceptionally well over the years. You go to the tailor, pick out the fabric and design, and they deliver it to your hotel within 48 hours.

Jerry_lee

Post by Jerry_lee » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:32 pm

newbie_Mo wrote:How do you deal with the ever expanding waistline?
His suit pants usually would not fit after 2 to 3 years. It would be a real waste to have to replace the nice suits after a short time.
For someone who struggles to maintain their weight, the thought of indulging to the point of costing themselves an inability to wear a (lets say) $1,000 suit provides remarkable incentive to do a bit of exercising. :D
The most disciplined investor in the world.

fandango

Post by fandango » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:38 pm

I have two suits (Armanis) that I wear to wedding, funerals, engagement parties, etc.

I bought them both at Sy Syms. Original price was $1000 a piece. Bought them with alterations for $189.00 a piece. Still look great.

I worked in a chemical manufacturing environment, and the only suits that I wore were "jump suits".

Since I retired, my main wardrobe consists of t shirts, shorts, and tennis shoes.

Default User BR

Post by Default User BR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:54 pm

rrosenkoetter wrote:I'm wearing a $11 polo and $15 shorts from Target right now.
I needed new polo shirts for work, so I went to Target like usual. Most of their "ultimate polos" were now 60/40 cotton instead of 100%. I was pretty annoyed. I found a sale at Kohl's online, $9.99 for cotton polos, with a 20% coupon for the entire purchase. Shipping was free if you got up to a certain amount, so I bought a raft of them in various colors. I knew that if I didn't like them I could return them at a local store. They were quite acceptable.

Brian (happy that MyMegaCorp went to casual attire years ago)

3Wood85

Post by 3Wood85 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Jerry_lee wrote:Like a lot of things, price isn't as important as value. When it comes to suits, its all about construction. Fully-canvassed or even half-canvassed suits are better made and will last longer, as well as look better after multiple dry cleanings. Fused suits (basically, everything is glued together) are a lot better than they used to be, but won't last as long or continue to wear well or keep its shape. If you look at, say, the Brooksease line from Brooks Brothers, they are fused (< $500). The middle of the line are about $800-$1000 (half-canvassed), and the GF made to measure line, as well as the ready to wear is fully-canvassed. But with BB, or any name brand mens line, you pay an additional $ for the name. One of the exceptions (IMO) is the Martin Greenfield Golden Fleece line from BB mentioned above. A suite of that quality should last the better part of several decades if cared for (although I've heard the fabric selection is less than optimal).

Second most important is the quality of the wool. Obviously a suit made with something that resembles burlap after a few dry drycleanings that wears like sandpaper (these can be found at Jos A Bank, Mens Warehouse, etc.) will be cheaper than something in the Superfine 150s range, but IMO there is diminishing returns in the wool compartment. Some thread is so fine you literally will wear it out in a year or two (but you'll look good doing it!). 120s level is sort of the "all-weather" thread count, with 100 or 150 good too.

From there cost is a function of how much "handwork" goes into your suit. In the extreme, you could get a $3500+ suit from Oxxford Clothiers and it never comes close to a sewing machine (all handmade)--this would be passed down to the next generation, or a $850 Soutwick which I believe is 100% machine sewn--should get you 10-15 good years of wear if not worn more than once a week or two.

My advice: don't buy a suite from a mall or department store. Do a google search for a tailor in your area that offers a made-to-measure program and carries Southwick, Samuelson, H Freeman, Hickey Freeman. You may not want to go made-to-measure, but they will carry off the rack 1/2 to fully canvassed suits that should fit fine with slight alterations.

Great stuff here, thanks. Nordstrom's has Hickey Freeman suits on sale as well and the tailoring is free I will look into that brand. Thanks for all the replies.

Bengal22 - I never said my budget was $500, I said the suits I am looking at during the sale are that price, Hugo Boss and another brand. I have no budget and can spend whatever I see fit.

3Wood85

Post by 3Wood85 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:19 pm

newbie_Mo wrote:How do you deal with the ever expanding waistline?
hahaha funny, I am in good shape, I exercise almost daily gaining weight is actually difficult for me. I could see that as a problem for others though.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:36 pm

3Wood85 wrote:How much do Bogleheads spend on suits for work? I am thinking of buying one or two on sale for about $500 each during Nordstroms yearly sale, is this the way of a Boglehead?
Look at what your boss and clients are wearing, and dress like they do at appropriate occasions. You may not need to wear a suit every day like your boss might or at every client visit, but when you do have to wear a suit dress to match. No one expects someone making $50K/yr to buy a $1000 suit, though.

Always dress a little better than your co-workers (cooler t-shrit/jeans if that's the dress code; nicer polo/khakis if that's the dress code; better tailored suit if that's the dress code).

Whatever you do, get the suits tailored to fit you properly. You will generally be better off in a $400 suit with $100 worth of tailoring than a $500 suit with no tailoring.
Last edited by stan1 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob's not my name

Post by Bob's not my name » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:38 pm

I don't pay for suites. A regular room is fine.

As for suits: Zegna.

wbond

Post by wbond » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:58 pm

Jerry Lee and Bob's Not Your Name rescue this thread from those who insist on inexplicably dressing as birdwatchers while headed to Manhattan. (No, please, leave your onychomycotic nails covered by the Teva's for the remainder of the flight).

Jerry's combination of sartorial polish with his zealotry for three factor investing reminds me fondly of SmallHi.

There must be more than one well-dressed advisor out there.

Cheers, wbond

P.S.

1st. If you must sacrifice one, fit is more important than material.

2nd. One can find reasonably priced shirts, ties, belts, braces, pocket squares - but it's all ruined by cheap shoes. No one will notice the suit's OK if you have something named "Cole" on your feet.

market timer

Post by market timer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:01 pm

These days I buy pretty much everything at Brooks Brothers. My suits were about $600 on sale.

investor.saver1

Post by investor.saver1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:06 pm

I used to wear a suit every day. Then the company I worked for was purchased by a more progressive corporation and business casual became the norm. I'm retired now and have a dozen or so hanging in my closet getting dusty. I personally would rather deal with an individual in a nice shirt and khakis than I would with an individual in an expensive suit. Why...because as a customer I know who is paying for the suit. I think that accurately reflects a boglehead personality.
Investor.Saver1 | | Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:18 pm

For a decent half-canvassed suit, I've heard that Suit Supply (full price) or Brooks Brothers 1818 line (on sale) are both good options. I've been doing some research as I'm thinking about picking up my first suit sometime soon.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:43 pm

market timer wrote:These days I buy pretty much everything at Brooks Brothers. My suits were about $600 on sale.
Second this. I find it hard to go wrong with a BB 1818 suit. I prefer the Fitzgerald line myself.

And get a decent pair of Allen Edmunds shoes to go with it.

nonnie

Post by nonnie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:51 pm

wbond wrote: (No, please, leave your onychomycotic nails covered by the Teva's for the remainder of the flight).
My pet peeve, makes me squirm just reading it! I hardly ever dress up but at least I cover my feet when I'm going to be in a public space with the chance of my feet in someone's face.
This post may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

azanon

Post by azanon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Reflecting on "The Millionaire Next Door", I would tend to think the only person that could tell you paid more than $350 for a suit would be a broke person. I know I certainly couldn't! People with high net worth relative to income are such poor judges of this sort of thing. So why spend a lot of money impressing poor people? I still have never tried caviar (I'm 40), and currently sipping 3 dollar/bottle Merlot (box wine). It's California!

I guess $500 though isn't that far above my figure. I don't see the major harm.

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:17 pm

I think I own a suit - if it's still there in the back of the closet. Wore it to a funeral a couple of years ago, I think. Retired, but as academic used to work in very casual dress. Shorts and t-shirt in the summer. Only good thing about a suit in the Arizona summer is that the politicians, university administrators, etc., still wear them no matter how hot it gets. Something about sitting in the shade on the lawn, when it's 115 F, with a semi-frozen drink and watching a highly overpaid Dean or university president walk by wearing his nice, dark suit..... There is no animal more odd than people.

TSR

Post by TSR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:48 pm

I used to work for a large law firm and needed a number of decent suits. Hugo Boss is good, especially if you're relatively slim (they have a slimmer fit that you can tailor down even more if you need). I would encourage you to look at Saks Off 5th, which, if you don't know, is the Saks discount store. If you live near a Nordstrom's, you probably live near one of these. They sell the Hugo Boss suits regularly, but they have much deeper discounts. This is especially good if you're a somewhat normal size and you want staple-type suits (blue, pin-stripe, black, etc.).

For what it's worth, I typically had to buy custom suits, and I'd spend a fair bit above $500. Just buy a suit that looks and feels good on you and that will last. Don't let salespeople sweet-talk you. Good luck!

6miths

Post by 6miths » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:10 pm

I bought my last new suit for my wedding. Just past our 20th anniversary. It still fits but I don't wear it often. I was chuckling to myself last week when I realized that the T-shirt I was wearing was a promo for the 1990 Two Oceans Marathon. Sadly, that's not the oldest T-shirt in my drawer! Definite slave to fashion!
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:09 pm

I haven't bought a suit since I retired 15 years ago. But I still have a couple from my working days which I wear to church. They last a long time when you only wear them less than 2 hours per week.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Naikansha

Post by Naikansha » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:33 pm

Take a look on what is being sold on Ebay. Many used suits are in excellent condition (hardly worn) and sold for far far less than what you would pay new. You might need to have a repair done and some tailoring to make them fit but it could be well worth it if you find something nice in your size.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:41 pm

I am a Boglehead. When I worked, my job required me to wear a suit on a fairly regular basis. I purchased my suits at Nordstrom's and typically during their men's sale. It's now twenty years later and those suits are still in excellent condition. I believe that if I needed them altered (and I may since I have lost weight - no more business dinners :D ) Nordstrom would still take care of it at no charge.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:10 am

Jerry_lee wrote:Like a lot of things, price isn't as important as value. When it comes to suits, its all about construction. Fully-canvassed or even half-canvassed suits are better made and will last longer, as well as look better after multiple dry cleanings. Fused suits (basically, everything is glued together) are a lot better than they used to be, but won't last as long or continue to wear well or keep its shape. If you look at, say, the Brooksease line from Brooks Brothers, they are fused (< $500). The middle of the line are about $800-$1000 (half-canvassed), and the GF made to measure line, as well as the ready to wear is fully-canvassed. But with BB, or any name brand mens line, you pay an additional $ for the name. One of the exceptions (IMO) is the Martin Greenfield Golden Fleece line from BB mentioned above. A suite of that quality should last the better part of several decades if cared for (although I've heard the fabric selection is less than optimal).

this is pretty impressive but not really in English to me.

What I don't understand about suits lasting "several decades" or several generations is: don't they go out of style? Do you really want to wear a 1940s suit, even if it is of impeccable quality? Who cares if it is in pristine shape; it doesn't increase in value; a suit is a not a baseball card:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 0219.story

I own one suit bought in 1998. I'm ready for a new one that is super classy but timeless. I will spend more than the $200 I spent on the last one, but I need some more concrete guidance - is your best suggestion to find a decent tailor, get measured, and pay $750+?

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:52 am

Yes. I have mine shipped from the UK. Average spend per suit is $700 (which isn't really a lot for a nice ladies suit).

Then I take them to a tailor here and get a copy made for about a quarter of the price so I don't mind splurging in the first place.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:06 am

I never had to wear a suit for work but I own two suits for special occassions.

My most recent suit was bought from an outlet and it is a Jones of New York and it cost $150. Everytime I wear it I get compliments and if I do say so myself I love it. With all these outlets, why spend more when you can get a name brand for so much less.

I am wondering who can really tell if you are wearing an expensive suit or not.

I read somewhere that Donald Trump spends $5,000 on his suits.

Having said that I'm sure Mr. Bogle doesn't very much on his suits when he used to brown bag during his days at Vanguard.

I love the quote from Warren Buffett he said I wear expensive suits, they just look cheap on me.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:41 am

My suits are in the $500-$800 range. Lab coats are cheap. :happy
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:56 am

I agree with most of the comments made above. My order of importance for a work outfit:

1) FIT. You can spend $2000 on a suit and it'll look sloppy if it's not perfectly fitted.
2) SHOES. Ditto previous line. There's a saying/rule of thumb: spend half the budget on shoes. Not only do quality shoes last a long time, they won't change in size throughout your life as opposed to a suit which may not fit if you lose/gain weight. Allen Edmonds and Alden are great and the only two shoe companies remaining that manufacture in the USA.
3) Quality of wool/construction

Follow these rules and you'll look fantastic in a fitted Men's Warehouse suit with some AE/Alden shoes.

As for me, I have made to measure suits and jackets where price ranges from $400 for a suit (got it made in a small shop in Hong Kong) to $700 for just a sports coat (a tailor in the USA). The difference in quality is noticeable to me as the wearer, but since they both fit well nobody else can tell the difference.

I haven't tried a Brooks Brothers suit, but they are a pretty good starting point for quality. I own a few of their shirts.

Cash

Post by Cash » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:07 am

I don't spend much money on myself, but I do spend on a nice suit and sport coat once a year (I also buy custom-fitted shirts more regularly, and the occasional pair of trousers and shoes (e.g., Crockett and Jones, Alden, Allen Edmonds)). In fact, I just received my latest order from my bespoke tailor. Fit is very important. After that, there's fit. Then there's fit. Fabric is also important (e.g., the weight (to be seasonally appropriate) and quality of the wool). And don't let anyone fool you into thinking that one cannot tell the difference between a $150 suit and one of much higher quality. Perhaps you can't, but many others can, and I work in an industry where people can. I'm not going to reveal how much my suits cost, but let's just say most of you would blow a gasket if the prices in this thread are any indication :P.

Cash

Post by Cash » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:16 am

letsgobobby wrote:don't they go out of style?
If you buy a suit that's "in-style," yes. Ultra-narrow lapels will go out of style. Five buttons has gone out of style. Conservative business dress, however, has not changed much over the decades.

AndroAsc

Post by AndroAsc » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:47 am

I think the better question to ask is can anyone distinguish a sub $500 suit from a $5000+ suit? If no, then I don't see the point, especially if you don't work in a field that wear suits (like me).

I get my suit whenever they go on 80% clearance at Kohls/JCPenney, a $500 suit becomes less than $100 by then.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:03 am

Here's my one piece of advice...no matter what you get, go to a decent tailor and get it fitted properly. Nothing worse than looking like you borrowed your Uncle Joe's suit for your interview/wedding/etc.

For the record, I own one suit that I wear for personal use only. It ran about $300 plus tailoring. It certainly isn't top quality but it fits great and looks nice.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:16 am

tetractys wrote:A $500 suite is on the cheap side. Even for someone who might only be wearing it once a year, it would be worth spending more for something with some class, comfort, longivity, and some functional pockets. Get something you will feel good wearing, even at your bestemor's funeral. And IMO, Nordstom's is not the place to do that anyway--there are better sources for those willing to look around a little. -- Tet

Guess, I'm cheap then. The most expensive suit I've ever purchased was $400 (buy 1, get 1 free) - tailored, accessorize it with the right shirt and tie, highly polished shoes, a fresh shave, clean haircut and you can "blow the socks" off of just about anyone. Don't go by price alone.

Side note: Twenty years ago, I tried on a sports coat in Bloomingdales - it was tailored, off the rack, had a nice feel to it, until I saw the price tag then - $1,000. I couldn't take it off quick enough!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

arthurb999

Post by arthurb999 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:27 am

Classic charcol grey and navy blue business suits never go out of style.

I have to wear suits and before I was educated in the matter I had 4 men's warehouse suits but the tailoring was done well.
They looked pretty good but began to wear out sooner than I expected. I consider them disposable.

Now I've been replacing with higher end stuff... incluidng a pair of allen edmunds park aves for shoes.

If you have to wear suits everyday, buy better quality ones.

If not, then buy a men's warehouse charchol grey... it will fit most purporses (wedding, funerual, job interview).