Retiree Portfolio Model

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
pdbaaxk

Re: Retiree Portfolio Model

Post by pdbaaxk » Tue May 29, 2018 9:06 am

Does anyone know if it is possible for the model to use IRA2 for Roth conversions once IRA1 completely converted or doesn't have enough funds for desired conversion?

This is line 247 from the Setup :
247 Roth Start year IRA 1 used for conversion

Thank you!

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:33 am

pdbaaxk wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:06 am
Does anyone know if it is possible for the model to use IRA2 for Roth conversions once IRA1 completely converted or doesn't have enough funds for desired conversion?
I'm afraid not. A solution is to add to IRA1 the extra amount desired, reducing IRA2 balance. Or just completely combine them for this purpose.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

jkrm

Post by jkrm » Thu May 31, 2018 8:31 am

I just noticed an odd thing. If I enter manual withdrawals (cell E139 of the setup tab), then all withdrawals from IRA1 abruptly stop when I turn 80 (column V, rows 85 - 89 of the Details tab). This happens whether or not I include an end age in cell E139 of the Setup tab). Up until today I had always used automatic withdrawals and never tried manual withdrawals, so I never noticed this. Or maybe I am using it wrong, somehow.

This is with version 18.1.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:46 am

jkrm wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:31 am
I just noticed an odd thing. If I enter manual withdrawals (cell E139 of the setup tab), then all withdrawals from IRA1 abruptly stop when I turn 80 (column V, rows 85 - 89 of the Details tab).
I suspect your IRA1 has a zero balance by age 80. What is shown in Setup J139 - Ending Balance?

jkrm

Post by jkrm » Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 am

BigFoot48 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:46 am
jkrm wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:31 am
I just noticed an odd thing. If I enter manual withdrawals (cell E139 of the setup tab), then all withdrawals from IRA1 abruptly stop when I turn 80 (column V, rows 85 - 89 of the Details tab).
I suspect your IRA1 has a zero balance by age 80. What is shown in Setup J139 - Ending Balance?
Of course! That was exactly it. Thanks.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu May 31, 2018 8:54 am

Bigfoot - just a general thank you and to say that your RPM tool has been very valuable to us and many others.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:01 am

smitcat wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:54 am
Bigfoot - just a general thank you and to say that your RPM tool has been very valuable to us and many others.
Thanks very much! And I want to thank the many Bogleheads who have contributed extremely useful features to it that were beyond my Excel knowledge base, and all the error reports that helps keep it a useful tool for us retirees and soon-to-be retirees.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:59 am

Question:

I am currently receiving RMDs from a traditional IRA inherited from my mom about 16 years ago and wonder how to model it in RPM. Apparently RPM does not model an IRA in the past. Seems like I need to set this up as though it was inherited this year and RMDs start next year. Is that correct?

Bigfoot, thank you so much for providing this spreadsheet. I have spent hours with it and have been able to fine tune my IRA in a way that I never would have been able to do without it. I will be using it for years to come. It has been invaluable to me.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:21 am

munemaker wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:59 am
Question:

I am currently receiving RMDs from a traditional IRA inherited from my mom about 16 years ago and wonder how to model it in RPM. Apparently RPM does not model an IRA in the past. Seems like I need to set this up as though it was inherited this year and RMDs start next year. Is that correct?

Bigfoot, thank you so much for providing this spreadsheet. I have spent hours with it and have been able to fine tune my IRA in a way that I never would have been able to do without it. I will be using it for years to come. It has been invaluable to me.
Thanks very much for your comments. I'm glad that you're finding it a valuable tool.

Yes, I think the only way to handle the inherited IRA is to insert its current value and label it as an inherited IRA and see if the RMD is correct. I've never tested that situation so don't know if the distribution will be exactly right. You may need to settle for "close enough".

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:30 am

BigFoot48 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:21 am
munemaker wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:59 am
Question:

Thanks very much for your comments. I'm glad that you're finding it a valuable tool.

Yes, I think the only way to handle the inherited IRA is to insert its current value and label it as an inherited IRA and see if the RMD is correct. I've never tested that situation so don't know if the distribution will be exactly right. You may need to settle for "close enough".
Thanks for the quick response. RMD is not exactly correct, but close enough. Thanks again!

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi Bigfoot, thanks again for all your hard work in bringing us you latest 2018 version 18 of the indispensable RPM. I found a hidden gem you added, a while back you had discussed a member working on a transfer function and now I see you have the feature called "load entries". So I successfully used it to load my version 17 file from June 2017 into v18.1. I'm now slowing working through the recommended Excel Side by Side Compare function to double check all entries.

So now for your lasted challenge, my RPM 18.1 is crashing on me and then reopens with the file name changing from xxx.xlsm to xxx.xlsb. This has happened few times so in troubleshooting I opened old and new files, one at at time or two at a time, it crashed every time when I went to highlight a couple of cells in yellow or removing highlighting.

I'm running Windows 10 with current patches always automatically applied. My Excel is part of my Office Professional Plus 2016 version. Any insight you can provide on this such as a settings box I could check or uncheck?

Best Regards, Zephavest
Last edited by Zephavest on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:02 pm

Zephavest wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:09 pm
So now for your lasted challenge, RPM 18.1 is crashing on me and then reopens with the file name changing from xxx.xlsm to xxx.xlsb. This has happened few times so in troubleshooting I did the following:
I'm running Windows 10 with current patches always automatically applied. My Excel is part of my Office Professional Plus 2016 version.

Any insight you can provide on this such as a settings box I could check or uncheck?
Zephavest, I'm sorry to learn of this problem you are having. No one else has reported a crashing problem, as I recall. I use Excel 2013 and don't have 2016 for testing, but with the model basically still using Excel 2003 features any of the versions should easily handle it.

I don't see why any of the things you tried should result in a crash. You might try using 18.0 just to see if that works and perhaps download 18.1 again in case a bit got damaged in your first download. Those are my only ideas.

There are no settings that would impact the ability of the model to run in any version of Excel. As a fallback, the model runs well in LibreOffice Calc but without the useful macros. Let me know if the crashing goes away.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:38 am

Hi Bigfoot,

Thank you for confirming It was not a bug, setting or I was missing something important. I have now successfully resolved the problem and found the solution, here were the steps in getting there.

I tried the 18.0 and 18.1 files again like you suggested, I simply opened them, cleared contents and then played with highlighting some cells, I successfully crashed both versions. So next I suspected something was wrong with my Excel/Office or Windows 10. Since I ran RPM v17.xlsm in June 2017 with the same version of Excel/Office I guessed my Office Installation had become corrupted, perhaps by one of the Windows 10 updates. I ran a full online repair of the Office Installation, and then did another cold boot (one of many).

I then re-tried all my earlier steps listed above, with both yesterdays files and a new clean 18.1 file downloaded today. I had Success on all files, single and side by side compare, so everything is backup and running fine.

If the Office repair had not worked, I was going to uninstall my 64 bit Office installation and reinstall the 32 bit Office installation. Bigfoot, do you know if the 32 vs 64 bit matters for your program?

Best Regards, Zephavest

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:19 am

Great news and thanks for reporting the solution, one that I didn't think of. Using a 32 or 64 bit program should not matter for this model.

ohyeah

Post by ohyeah » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Thank you Bigfoot for this awesome tool. I'm trying to understand all of the proper inputs so I can get started with the "what ifs" .

When using the state income tax brackets (my state has 3), I noticed that the middle bracket would include the lower bracket in its calculation.
Maybe some states do it this way, but in my state, the amount taxed in the middle bracket is first reduced by the upper threshold in the lower bracket. This was throwing my calcs off by a fair amount.
I changed the formula in 'Details'.F219 to multiply the delta of the lower bracket upper threshold and 'Details'.F211 which seemed to take care of the issue.
Maybe there's a better way to handle this in the model?

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:54 pm

ohyeah wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:20 pm
When using the state income tax brackets (my state has 3), I noticed that the middle bracket would include the lower bracket in its calculation.
I'm glad you like it and thanks for this report on a possible problem. I took a quick look at the state tax calculation and it appears to be calculating correctly. I simplified the rates and brackets of the example data a bit to make it easier to verify and came up with this for 2018 (line numbers on Details page shown)

210: taxable state income: $36,400
brackets and calculated taxes:
212: 2% for $0-$10000 - $200
213: 3% for $10000-$30000 - $600
214: 4% for over $30000 - $300 (rounds up)
215: Total $1,100

Check your model again and if you're still seeing a miscalculation PM me.

UPDATE: BH ohyeah did indeed find an error in how state taxes are calculated using the brackets at certain income levels. A fix will be posted.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Version 18.2 of the Retiree Portfolio Model model is now available. This update corrects a calculation error in state income taxes for the bracket method as reported by BH ohyeah. At some income and bracket settings the second bracket formula was overstating state taxes (in the Example case by 22%), thus understating portfolio balances (in the Example case, the ending balance by 1.2%).

Those using the state bracket tax method may want to download it, or ignore the relative small impact and wait for the 2019 version in three months.

Version 18.2 can be downloaded from Dropbox via this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/po3v1xp2qhgl9 ... .xlsm?dl=0

Some other informational labels and comments were improved as suggested by users.

Please contact me via PM or post in this thread with any issues you find, or suggestions you may have.

is50xenough

Post by is50xenough » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:41 am

I haven't read the many posts in this thread so if answered please direct me to location. I love the spreadsheet and thanks for doing this. I have played with for many hours and am still struggling with the Roth Conversion section. I think I should use the "e" for column E line 236 since sounds more precise but now I wonder what to do. Do I enter amounts in column C lines 250 and beyond to fill the tax bracket I wish to fill? Is there a more "automatic" approach? Also do I enter any data in column F rows 250 and beyond under "storage"---what is storage for in this section?

Thanks. Likely these are very basic but just sort of stuck.

is50xenough

Post by is50xenough » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:45 am

Sorry, one more question. the column E with Roth balance doesn't seem to include preexisting balance and only the converted. Is that correct?

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:22 am

is50xenough wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:41 am
I haven't read the many posts in this thread so if answered please direct me to location. I love the spreadsheet and thanks for doing this. I have played with for many hours and am still struggling with the Roth Conversion section.
Hi is50xenough,
I've been using RPM for a couple of years so here is my take:

I think I should use the "e" for column E line 236 since sounds more precise but now I wonder what to do.
>>> Yes, you are correct, make sure you go to Column E, row 236, "method to use" select "e" (entered)

Do I enter amounts in column C lines 250 and beyond to fill the tax bracket I wish to fill?
>>> Yes, you are correct, for example I fill in the amounts to max out the 12% column.

Is there a more "automatic" approach?
>>> Yes, go to Column E, row 236, "method to use" select "c" (calculated). This way it is all automatic and you do not enter anything, it is less precise, but fine to start rough planning.

Also do I enter any data in column F rows 250 and beyond under "storage"---what is storage for in this section?
>>> Only used if you want to copy & paste different scenarios from Column C, row 249.

The column E with Roth balance doesn't seem to include preexisting balance and only the converted. Is that correct?
>>> Correct, the tool creates a new "Convr" Roth account for tracking and planning, you can see this on the Summary tab, column AO, row 7.

RPM is an invaluable tool once you master it, Zephavest

is50xenough

Post by is50xenough » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Thanks so much Zephavest. Very appreciated info from an expert. It does look very powerful and want to get better at it. For my question and your response:

Is there a more "automatic" approach?
>>> Yes, go to Column E, row 236, "method to use" select "c" (calculated). This way it is all automatic and you do not enter anything, it is less precise, but fine to start rough planning.

If I erase all my inputs under column C and put c into cell 236 column E amounts appear in column E but nothing in column C under conversions. How do you tell what it is telling you to convert using the calculated choice?

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:12 am

is50xenough wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:17 pm
If I erase all my inputs under column C and put c into cell 236 column E amounts appear in column E but nothing in column C under conversions. How do you tell what it is telling you to convert using the calculated choice?
Hi is50xenough,
I'm no expert, that would be BigFoot48, the author of this great tool. I've just been using it long enough and send him PM's when I'm stuck to get pointed in the right direction, so I've figured out some, but not all of this powerful tool. To answer your question:

Auto Roth Conversions Withdrawals Setup:
Set Column E, row 236, "method to use" select "c" (calculated).
Go to row 238, column D, method 1: simple using factors, and setup rows 238-242, columns E & F, Starting amounts, Annual escalation/-reduction, Start age and End age. Fill these cells in for your situation, then for results look at:

Summary Tab: Look at rows 6 & 7 for all instances of the word Convr.
Results Tab: Roth Conversion Analysis section line 145, make sure the show/hide in column G is set to show, which exposes lines 146-173, search for all instances of the word Conversions.
Details Tab: lines between 85-129, make sure you set row 1, column H/I to show hidden rows, search for all instances of the word Conversions.

is50xenough

Post by is50xenough » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 am

Wow, thanks so much Zephavest. Had no idea the program did all this. Your answer very appreciated.

Just out of curiously, how do you compare i-ORP and RPM?

Can PM me if desired.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:58 am

is50xenough wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 am

Just out of curiously, how do you compare i-ORP and RPM?
i-ORP is a machete. RPM is a scalpel.

mkedst

Post by mkedst » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:13 pm

I'm having some trouble modeling qualified dividends and long-term capital gains. Maybe it's because QD and LTCG dominate my income.

If I set the taxable account adjustment to include QD/LTCG in the taxable account (70%), then my federal taxes will be off - something like $1500, when I'm expecting $0. AGI is correct.

If I set the taxable account adjustment to not include QD/LTCG in the taxable account (97%), then my federal taxes will correctly be $0, but now AGI is wrong for social security and state taxes as they are missing QD/LTCG. I could use the state AGI user adjustment to add back QD/LTCG for state, but I couldn't find a way to adjust SS AGI separately from Fed AGI, because the Fed AGI user adjustment changes both.

Here's a simple example to illustrate:
filing status: single
taxable interest: $1,000
ordinary dividends: $19,000
qualified dividends: $18,000
long-term capital gains: $5,000
standard deduction: $12,000

That means AGI $25,000, taxable income $13,000, and this will show fed tax $0 in the Simple Tax Calculator (since it has the QD/LTCG data). But, to get fed tax $0 in RPM, taxable income needs to be $0. It seems like RPM could use a QD/LTCG input to subtract from the income going into the tax tables.

Thanks!
Mark

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:46 am

mkedst wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:13 pm
I'm having some trouble modeling qualified dividends and long-term capital gains. Maybe it's because QD and LTCG dominate my income.

If I set the taxable account adjustment to include QD/LTCG in the taxable account (70%), then my federal taxes will be off - something like $1500, when I'm expecting $0. AGI is correct.
Thanks for the report and I will check this out.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:39 pm

mkedst wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:13 pm
That means AGI $25,000, taxable income $13,000, and this will show fed tax $0 in the Simple Tax Calculator (since it has the QD/LTCG data). But, to get fed tax $0 in RPM, taxable income needs to be $0. It seems like RPM could use a QD/LTCG input to subtract from the income going into the tax tables.

Thanks!
Mark
Now that I'm fully awake I can provide you an answer. In order for the model to include the impact of QD/LTCG income in the tax calculation, I provided an adjustment in the Income Taxes section on the Setup page, There you will find the Taxable Account Adjustment which allows the user to enter a percent of taxable account earnings that are non-taxable or subject to a lower rate. This will reduce the taxable income, resulting in a lower tax amount when the tax-bracket rates are applied.

Enter a rate that will reduce your taxable income in the first year to zero or near-zero. An impact to keep in mind is that this percent is currently applied to all future years, so it should be considered just a gross approximation of the impact of these lower-taxes elements in the taxable account.

mkedst

Post by mkedst » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:10 pm

BigFoot48 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:39 pm
Now that I'm fully awake I can provide you an answer. In order for the model to include the impact of QD/LTCG income in the tax calculation, I provided an adjustment in the Income Taxes section on the Setup page, There you will find the Taxable Account Adjustment which allows the user to enter a percent of taxable account earnings that are non-taxable or subject to a lower rate. This will reduce the taxable income, resulting in a lower tax amount when the tax-bracket rates are applied.

Enter a rate that will reduce your taxable income in the first year to zero or near-zero. An impact to keep in mind is that this percent is currently applied to all future years, so it should be considered just a gross approximation of the impact of these lower-taxes elements in the taxable account.
Yes, I'm aware of the Taxable Account Adjustment and in my question I did show that I tried both 70% and 97% to include/remove QD/LTCG from taxes. As I mentioned in my question, if I use 97% to remove QD/LTCG from taxes, AGI is incorrect (too low by $23k!) and that gets used for state taxes, social security, ACA subsidy. I could try adding QD/LTCG back into AGI for state and ACA, but there isn't a way to do that for social security (without changing Fed AGI). Currently, I would either have to live with significantly inaccurate social security tax calculations or significantly inaccurate fed taxes. But, rather than attempting to add SS AGI user adjustment and make all the extra manual adjustments to compensate, it seems RPM really could use a separate QD/LTCG input.

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:25 pm

mkedst wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:10 pm
But, rather than attempting to add SS AGI user adjustment and make all the extra manual adjustments to compensate, it seems RPM really could use a separate QD/LTCG input.
Up front, it's much easier to ask for improvements than to implement them. :wink:

Having said that, "it would be nice if..." the tax calculations and charting in the personal finance toolbox spreadsheet could be combined with the multi-year analysis done by www.i-orp.com and/or the RPM....

mkedst

Post by mkedst » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:45 pm

FiveK wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:25 pm
mkedst wrote:
But, rather than attempting to add SS AGI user adjustment and make all the extra manual adjustments to compensate, it seems RPM really could use a separate QD/LTCG input.
Up front, it's much easier to ask for improvements than to implement them. :wink:
Understood. If the differences were small, not a biggie, but it seems significant to have AGI off by $23k+ compounding.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:12 pm

mkedst wrote:
Yes, I'm aware of the Taxable Account Adjustment and in my question I did show that I tried both 70% and 97% to include/remove QD/LTCG from taxes. As I mentioned in my question, if I use 97% to remove QD/LTCG from taxes, AGI is incorrect (too low by $23k!) and that gets used for state taxes, social security, ACA subsidy. I could try adding QD/LTCG back into AGI for state and ACA, but there isn't a way to do that for social security (without changing Fed AGI). Currently, I would either have to live with significantly inaccurate social security tax calculations or significantly inaccurate fed taxes. But, rather than attempting to add SS AGI user adjustment and make all the extra manual adjustments to compensate, it seems RPM really could use a separate QD/LTCG input.
Oops, my mistake in skipping that part of your post on the re-read. I now, fully awake, see your important point and think it would be an easy fix to add the reduction back in for the SS tax calculation and state taxes. I will take a look at the model.

And I did. This is an easy fix, the kind I like, and I will have a revised model up today NOTE: Cancelled any change for now. Thanks!
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:06 pm

A revised version of 18.2 is now available. A correction to the calculation of Federal AGI used in determining Social Security taxable income and state taxable income has been made, thanks to BH mkedst. This correction added to each of these amounts the taxable account adjustment used to estimate the impact of the lower tax rates on Qualified Dividends and LT Capital Gains.

The correction slightly reduced the portfolio balances in the example data. Existing users may want to wait for the 2019 version due in two months. The revised model can be downloaded here: removed

This change was reviewed and determined to not be a net improvement and has been removed Oct 23.
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

mkedst

Post by mkedst » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:32 pm

FYI - BigFoot48 and I are discussing this change further via PM.

dreaming

Post by dreaming » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:05 am

Hi,

Bigfoot, great work. I have been playing around with 18.2. Should i revert to an early version? I have not really taught myself enough to and have only modified the sheets given inputs. Tried to clear it and start with none was too much for me at this time.

Dreaming

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:50 am

dreaming wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:05 am
Hi,

Bigfoot, great work. I have been playing around with 18.2. Should i revert to an early version? I have not really taught myself enough to and have only modified the sheets given inputs. Tried to clear it and start with none was too much for me at this time.

Dreaming
The earlier versions are not significantly different or less complex, so I recommend you use 18.2 which has the latest features and bug-fixes. I suggest clearing all input settings, like you've done, then going through the entries one by one entering your personal values. Be sure to read cell notes for directions. Many values may not need to be entered or a simpler option is provided.

I appreciate it's a bit overwhelming but is designed to model the entire financial life of the retired or near-retired, and many will need to consider the impact of all those choices in their life.