Car Registration Dilemma

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Sirrip

Car Registration Dilemma

Post by Sirrip »

So I just got my car registration renewal form in the mail for the state of California. I owe $220 by June 8th.
Due to a work assignment, I will be moving to Arizona for a year on June 20th (a mere 12 days after the due date for my CA registration). Do I still need to pay the full $220 registration fee for CA even though I'll only drive here for a maximum of 12 days out of the year?
runner9

Re: Car Registration Dilemma

Post by runner9 »

I don't have a suggestion, but $220 for a year? Wow! We pay in the mid $50s for a year in Ohio.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Is that the first, second, third, or fourth due date? The latter three aren't really due dates, but are the late payment fee cut off dates.

P.S. My original due date was also 06/08. Are we twins?
Topic Author
Sirrip

Post by Sirrip »

Lol yep. When I moved to CA, I had to pay and additional ~$300 to register my car to make up for the huge difference in sales tax rates between CA and my previous state. << I think this is only true for cars that were purchased within 12 months of moving.
Topic Author
Sirrip

Post by Sirrip »

sscritic wrote:Is that the first, second, third, or fourth due date? The latter three aren't really due dates, but are the late payment fee cut off dates.

It's the very first notice I received. Exactly one year after my original registration.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Move up your move date to June 7. :)
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Sirrip wrote:
sscritic wrote:Is that the first, second, third, or fourth due date? The latter three aren't really due dates, but are the late payment fee cut off dates.

It's the very first notice I received. Exactly one year after my original registration.
Your notice should have four dates on it. There is the total due in the box on the right side; below is the late payment box. My late payment dates are 06/08 to 06/18; 06/18 to 07/08; and 07/08 to 09/06 (with the word after appropriately placed).
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Not sure whatever savings you can get is worth the hassle, including a new title in AZ and the attendant fee (and then a re-title when you come back to CA.)

Also, better check if AZ will charge you a sales tax (or user fee) as some states will. In Vermont, if you have purchased the car within a year or so of your move to the state, you will get hit with a user fee, equivalent to the sales tax of 6%. On the other hand, registration is only $43 and there is no property tax on the car, as in some states.

Other quirks in Vermont, off topic, is that when you lease a car you pay sales tax on the entire cost of the car, not just your monthly charge. This is compensated for when you trade it or sell it, your are credited the entire amount of the residual value. There is also no requirement that your purchase of a new vehicle be simultaneous with the sale of the old one. When I buy a car, I never trade it in, but sell it privately, and as long as the sale is within 45 days of the purchase of the new vehicle, I can deduct the sales tax calculated on the value of the old one.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

The purchase was 06/08/2011, which is why the renewal is 06/08/2012. We aren't twins, we just purchased cars on the same day, albeit 13 years apart (the OP's might have been a registration of a car moved into CA rather than a purchase, but the date applies). I don't think any state applies sales tax to a purchase more than 12 months ago, not even California, which is notorious for taxing anything that moves.
ted123

Post by ted123 »

Does your current registration expire on the same date that payment is due? If the payment is due before the registration actually expires, then you may have no problem. (I'm guessing that you or sscritic would know if this was the case, though.)

I would consider notifying the California DMV that I am moving (and checking the "registered in other state" box) prior to the payment due date. I might risk driving without a valid registration for a short period, if the expired registration wouldn't be an issue when I registered in AZ.
ted123

Post by ted123 »

Actually, if I'm reading this correctly, your registration expires on June 10th.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

ted123 wrote:I might risk driving without a valid registration for a short period, if the expired registration wouldn't be an issue when I registered in AZ.
I think AZ is the key. If you look at your sticker on your back license plate, it says June (well, really JUN), not June 1, not June 30. The CHP car behind you doesn't know the date your registration expires, that is, as long as you are not pulled over for speeding on your way out of state. :)

My registration is from 06/08 to 06/08; they offer buy 365, get 1 free (or was that buy 366, get 1 free this year?).

Will AZ care that you are going to be registering an unregistered car?

Edit added: my actual paperwork (renewal notice, registration) do not agree with ted123's link.