prepaid calling cards

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
highercall

prepaid calling cards

Post by highercall »

Our 2.9 cent Verizon calling card is no longer refilling after 4/17. Many of our friends and family are long distance using our land line phone so we have been using the calling card. Any suggestions or recommendations for other low cost cards. thanks
Cyclone

Re: prepaid calling cards

Post by Cyclone »

I have found that the Kroger calling card is the best deal for me (at least for international calls).
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

STI has a decent domestic rate.
Dougroseville

Post by Dougroseville »

For landline long distance, we use http://www.onesuite.com. It is prepaid long distance - Minimum initial buy-in is $10 (this amount lasts us many months).

There is no monthly fee. It looks like most US numbers are 2.5 cents a minute - actually some international calls are even cheaper (Singapore, for instance is 1.8 cents a minute). There is a rate calculator on the site.

Onesuite has a number of useful features such as the ability to store frequently called numbers and being able to identify your home phone so you don't need to enter the account number. We have been using this service for more than 5 years and are very happy with it. It has gotten even better and more reliable over time.
Topic Author
highercall

Post by highercall »

Thanks for the replies. Onesuite.com does appear to be a good alternative to what I am using. I am always amazed at the good info fellow Bogleheads are willing to share.
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

Have used OneSuite for several years now. I share my account with my mother who uses it to call relatives overseas and domestic long-distance.
No problems with it.
One catch is that you may not live in an area with a local access number, as I do now. In that instance, you will need to use their 800 number.
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

Onesuite is good. Google Voice is good too - not the free IP phone part, but the long distance part. I go into voice.google.com, type in the desired number I wish to call, they call me at my number, and connect both parties. The rates are low for (many/most) countries. Canada is free.