Has anyone gone back to school?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
snyder66

Has anyone gone back to school?

Post by snyder66 »

And we glad they did? I have written about my job woes before, so, please forgive me. But, I'm basically stuck in a job with no possible way or want for advancement. I have my Associate degree in Culinary Arts and I'm going for my Baclhelor's in Nutrition or Food Science. I guess what I'm looking for is more justification, I'm not sure why, my wife totally supports me. I just do not want to be stuck in a similar type job for the next 20 years. I realize there are zero guarantees, just looking to give myself a better chance. Andm Yes, I am also probably going to go back full time as a student. My current job will not allow for any adult evening classes if they are available. Thanks in advance.
slug

Re: Has anyone gone back to school?

Post by slug »

Every situation is unique, but you're asking for anecdotal evidence so here goes... I went back to school at 30 for a full-time MBA. So, I was kind of on the older side of the students. I think it worked out well for me. I came out making more than double my previous salary and within 5 years was making triple my pre-MBA salary. I enjoy my work and co-workers and the job allows my wife to work part-time and both of us to have good quality time with our son while providing a reasonable standard of living in a nice and safe neighborhood. I am very grateful for my current situation, and I know that there's no way I would be in this position without having gone back to school.
Personal Finance Blogger at [b]Sunk Costs are Irrelevant[/b] --> currently on hiatus
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

Yes, and so far it has been well worth it. Although currently I'm working two jobs, and back to having a crazy schedule after having a few blissful weeks of only 1 job right after I graduated and before I got my new job. [My new profession doesn't involve a steady paycheck, so I am starting part time and keeping the old part time job until I have enough work to make the leap to full time in the new field.]

As far as going back as a full time student goes, I was a full time student, kept a job working 30 hours a week, spent 8 hours a week commuting, and then did assignments and other homework too. Once you've been out in the real world, being a full time student doesn't seem terribly "full time" any more. So even if your current job wouldn't work out well around your studying, I'd urge you to get a part time job doing something (anything) to keep some money coming in the door.

Going back to school isn't all just about changing jobs. It's also about learning new things, opening up to new experiences, making new friends, feeling fulfilled. All that good stuff comes along with the degree!
Sarah
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

snyder66 wrote:And we glad they did? I have written about my job woes before, so, please forgive me. But, I'm basically stuck in a job with no possible way or want for advancement. I have my Associate degree in Culinary Arts and I'm going for my Baclhelor's in Nutrition or Food Science. I guess what I'm looking for is more justification, I'm not sure why, my wife totally supports me. I just do not want to be stuck in a similar type job for the next 20 years. I realize there are zero guarantees, just looking to give myself a better chance. Andm Yes, I am also probably going to go back full time as a student. My current job will not allow for any adult evening classes if they are available. Thanks in advance.
I have a BS in Nutrition and an MS in Sports Nutrition, what exactly are you planning to do with a degree in the field? I completed my undergrad at 21, just worked for 4yrs and then began working on my MS part-time and now at 30 am a few months away from completing my doctorate(Obesity Studies). I made considerably more money at 21 with just a BS than I do now, but in an industry which I have zero interest in returning to. I absolutely love my job, but like you there is no room for advancement and I am just beginning to try to figure out exactly what I want to do going forward. More than 1/2 my company has been laid off the past year and in July my program is most likely getting the axe completely so I am starting to explore my options. To be brutally honest, I have my doubts that my continued education will ever pay off financially, but at least I am very passionate about my field of study and enjoyed the experience. If I have any advice it would be to have a plan; make absolutely sure that you know what you want to do with the education that you are about to pay for. I spend quite a bit of time pondering how my life would be different had I focused solely on my career and saved myself ~$150k this past decade or if I would have gone to medical school(which I very nearly did) instead of study what I truly enjoy.
p14175

Post by p14175 »

snyder66 wrote:My current job will not allow for any adult evening classes if they are available. Thanks in advance.
Community Colleges and Universities offer classes during the day. You might be the oldest student in the class but who cares. I worked 2nd shift while working on my math degree because none of the math professors taught in the evening.
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

My schedule is not consistent. We get done when we get done. A part time job seems to make the most sense. I have a meeting ealry next week with admissions. We shall see how that goes...
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

snyder66 wrote:My schedule is not consistent. We get done when we get done. A part time job seems to make the most sense. I have a meeting ealry next week with admissions. We shall see how that goes...
But is your start time consistent? What about doing one class a day before you start work?
Sarah
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Online degree?
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

I start a 7, sometimes 6:30 am. I will find out about online classes. I'd really like to get done as soon as I possibly can, I'm 42. We willsee what the costs are and what would make sense for us as a family.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

I did. I had started getting interested in programming, so I was taking some classes at the local Community College (no paintball wars while I was there). I then took UNIX at a local University. The instructor there recommended that I enter the MS Computer Science program. It was set up for non-CS degree people. I completed that and moved into software engineering. It helped that the cumpnee paid for it.

Brian
BL

Post by BL »

I don't get the sense that you know exactly what jobs are available in your field if you get more education. It would be nice if you knew exactly what you might do and what kinds of salary to expect, as well as whether there are adequate jobs where you want to be. Perhaps I misunderstood.
I have been a part or full-time college student through five decades and can see no age-related problems. Being able to forecast the future is more difficult. The world is changing more rapidly every day.

Yes, I am glad I went back.
Whiggish Boffin

Post by Whiggish Boffin »

I got my engineering bachelor's in 1976, and went right to work. I was eager to be independent of my parents -- "Thanks for everything, you've been great, but I've got it now." I never considered staying in another year for a Master's. I didn't want my Dad taking on more debt for me, when he had two younger sons to educate. Mostly, I was just tired of school.

Over the years, I worked with people who weren't any smarter than me, but they could do more because they knew more. It was stuff you couldn't pick up on the job. I wanted to do that stuff, so I went through a night-school Master's program in 1982 - 1987. One class a semester, for six years. (Should have been five years, but you never can get all the courses you want when you want them.) My employer paid the tuition. All I had to do was pass the courses, drive 80 miles on school nights, and not fall asleep at work, in class, or on the road.

I'm glad I did it. I guess I made more money because of it, but the payoff to me was spending working hours doing cooler things -- messing with the Soviets, sending gadgets into space, making missiles miss, etc. I regret that I didn't connect more with instructors and fellow students -- dang introversion...
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

slug wrote:Every situation is unique, but you're asking for anecdotal evidence so here goes... I went back to school at 30 for a full-time MBA. So, I was kind of on the older side of the students. I think it worked out well for me. I came out making more than double my previous salary and within 5 years was making triple my pre-MBA salary. I enjoy my work and co-workers and the job allows my wife to work part-time and both of us to have good quality time with our son while providing a reasonable standard of living in a nice and safe neighborhood. I am very grateful for my current situation, and I know that there's no way I would be in this position without having gone back to school.
What was your pre-MBA salary, what was the salary of your first post-grad MBA job, and what was your school ranked? Also, what is your profession now?

Similar age, thinking about getting my MBA. Current profession is in engineering, but not seeing a whole lot of advancement opportunities at my current company.

How old are you now?
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
norookie

Post by norookie »

:D Good Luck!
Last edited by norookie on Thu May 17, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
Ted Kan

Post by Ted Kan »

My situation was somehat different but I'll relate my experience of going back to school as an older student and make a few suggestions which may or may not be helpful.

After our second child was born I decided to go to medical school. I was Director of Matketing and Sales for a scientific instrument company and making a lot of money but didn't feel I was in a personally rewarding line of work and one I didn't want to spend my life in. I carefully researched the requirements, costs etc and with my wife's total support became a physician. I have never regretted that decision and would recommend anyone in a dead end job or in a job that is not emotionally fulling to make a change. For me I knew I would probably not make as much money in medicine as in sales but knew I'd made enough income to justify the sacrifice I was asking my family to make.

Some advice. Research the job/income possibilities. Do this as thoroughly and objectively as you possibly can! I can't stress this enough. While doing this an other prep work, put yourslf on the budget you'll need to follow when you return to school. Save money! Make sure you attend a reputible college, preferably a state college or university since the tuition will be lower than a private school. Avoid for profit schools. Keep your expenses as low as possible and borrow as little as possible. If everything seems good, go for it! A recession is a perfect time to return to school.
Malcolm2012

Post by Malcolm2012 »

It must be a strong personal goal to make it work, with all other things going on in our lives.

In my case, after being post Bachelor degree for 10 years I signed up for a course that happened to interest me at the local CC, however it had absolutely no career benefits (Astronomy as I recall). Found I enjoyed school once again. The following year I found a Masters Program that enabled me to earn my MA in International Relations while still working. It required me to use 3-4 weeks vacation for two years to satisfy my on campus time, as it was at a name University across the country, and spend most weekends writing and researching, but it was worth it! Why, because I enjoyed the material and it was interesting to have the interaction with Academia, totally different than my 'real-world' job.
Although I paid for it all on my own, it was a goal I had. Turned out to help me, even if indirectly, land an overseas position...

Actually thinking about perhaps going for a PhD after retirement from this job. There is this interesting program in Germany...

M
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

At age 32, I kept working full-time as an engineer and went to night school to pick up an MBA. After 3.5 years, I got my MBA. The company paid for tuition, but not books.

Getting the MBA helped me get two key promotions. It also helped me find out about index funds because of a Finance class term paper I did.

Looking back, it was a very busy 3.5 years, but I would do it all over again.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

What a timely post ... Bogleheads forum is funny like that .. lol ....

I'm 36, and also thinking about going back to school.

I'm seeing some job instability on the horizon, but only have a 2 year Electronics degree that has limited transferability to traditional B&M colleges. The original degree has worked well with 15 years at a fortune 500 telecom company though!

It's either take a look at online options for a Bachelors that will transfer my original credits or completely start from scratch at a traditional school ...

decisions .. decisions ...

Not trying to derail the OP topic ...
Last edited by Redfive on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

It all sounds well and good until you add up the numbers. We are pretty comfortable right now. I think I'm better staying put and doing networking here and there. I just don'y want to tap into our savings/retirement. We have othe retirement vehicles, but the money we would tap into is taxable and I just don't want to touch it. Oh, Well.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

I started a degree in computer science while I was teaching full time, myself, but I only lasted a year. I just ran out of time and energy to do the homework -- they were throwing an awful lot of work at me. Still, I'm glad I did it for a year, even though I didn't get a degree.
Greg, retired 8/10.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I've done it... twice. Worked out great for me.

My only advice would be:

1.) Pay as you go, if at all possible.

2.) Make sure that what you get out of it (potential income, personal satisfaction, etc.) is worth what you pay for it (tuition, time, stress, etc.)

3.) Speaking of time and stress... prepare to sacrifice. As with most things in life, it's not so much about what you're willing to do to get what you want. It's more about what you're willing to give up to get what you want.

JJ
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I have never really left school (as in taking courses and getting certifications), but now I am considering getting another degree (second Masters').

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)