Jeremy Lin is a Boglehead...

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
BHCadet

Jeremy Lin is a Boglehead...

Post by BHCadet » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Before his contract was picked up for the reminder of the season by the Knicks, he slept in his teammate and brother's couch.
He didn't want to spend any of the $762,195 salary on rent until he knows he will stay.
He certainly lives below his means.

tfb

Re: Jeremy Lin is a Boglehead...

Post by tfb » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Does he invest in index funds? :)
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Lindex funds

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:01 pm

Lin also has an Economics degree from Harvard. How many NBA players (past and present) can make the same claim?

sunspotzsz

Post by sunspotzsz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Probably has to do with the fact he was raised in a Chinese family.

Chinese people save too much.
Stay the course! | | Californians can save energy, reduce emission and get paid by signing up with ohm. | | https://ohm.co/sunspotzsz

JustBill

Post by JustBill » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:23 pm

sunspotzsz wrote: save too much.
Like a car too fast? or a girl too pretty??

ejvyas

Post by ejvyas » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:23 pm

sunspotzsz wrote:Probably has to do with the fact he was raised in a Chinese family.

My Chinese friend has accumulated 4+ months of vacation time !

camper

Post by camper » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Looks like he just made a game winning 3 pointer.

wander

Post by wander » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:54 pm

sunspotzsz wrote:Probably has to do with the fact he was raised in a Chinese family. Chinese people save too much.
He may have different look, but he is an American.

sunspotzsz

Post by sunspotzsz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:57 pm

ejvyas wrote:
sunspotzsz wrote:Probably has to do with the fact he was raised in a Chinese family.

My Chinese friend has accumulated 4+ months of vacation time !
Man, what company allows you to accumulate 4+ month of vacation time?
When you leave, it must feel great to cash out!
Stay the course! | | Californians can save energy, reduce emission and get paid by signing up with ohm. | | https://ohm.co/sunspotzsz

og15F1

Post by og15F1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:45 am

SteveB3005 wrote:Lindex funds
Win

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:12 am

best post of the day :sharebeer

pre

Post by pre » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:48 am

BHCadet wrote:Before his contract was picked up for the reminder of the season by the Knicks, he slept in his teammate and brother's couch.
He didn't want to spend any of the $762,195 salary on rent until he knows he will stay.
Interviews have shown him driving around his hometown in a C-class...so, not sure how this conforms with his boglehead ways, even if he were leasing :lol

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:54 am

BHCadet wrote: He certainly lives below his means.
Yes, but below his means is above my means. :)

gerntz

Post by gerntz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:09 am

Taiwanese.

pkh01l

Post by pkh01l » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:30 am

Recently heard a stat on CNN that said the average Indian saves 30% of their income compared to 5% for the average American. Made me disgusted that the average American is that materialistic and quite frankly, stupid.

Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:36 am

gerntz wrote:

Taiwanese.
My wife is Taiwanese and suddenly has become a NBA fan!
Last edited by Tim_in_GA on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

tsfdma

Post by tsfdma » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:40 am

Tim_in_GA wrote:
gerntz wrote:

Taiwanese.
My wife is Taiwanese and suddenly has become an NBA fan!

LMFAO.. I think women just have a different means of judging athleted than we do. I like Tom Brady because he is a great QB. My wife doesnt like him because he left his first girlfriend after they had a baby together! :lol
Also how come wives only seem interested in sports and want to talk your ear off when you are sitting down infront of the tv watching a game that you're completely engrossed in. Ever notice that? Women.... :lol:

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:53 am

Went to bed early last night...........missed the end of the game..................eejut!

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 am

Just started hearing about him yesterday. What a story! Harvard grad, Asian American who was playing in the development league is playing like an all star in the toughest American professional sports league to make it in.

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:26 am

Tim_in_GA wrote:
gerntz wrote:

Taiwanese.
My wife is Taiwanese and suddenly has become a NBA fan!
Whenever Yao Ming made it in the league, the NBA knew it was a very lucrative deal for expansion of the brand in Asia (which was already quite popular). I have a feeling Lin is going to be even bigger. If he keeps it up, the sky is the limit for him and his value to the league.

chiowan

Post by chiowan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 am

He is also moving to David Lee's apartment in White Plains to avoid paying the New York City income tax.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:51 am

That's downright Linsanity...

Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:18 pm

BHCadet wrote:Before his contract was picked up for the reminder of the season by the Knicks, he slept in his teammate and brother's couch.
Now he's renting a nice pad at Trump Towers.

chiowan

Post by chiowan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:31 pm

Tim_in_GA wrote:
Now he's renting a nice pad at Trump Towers.
Here is the New York Post article - it's the Trump in White Plains which will save him the 3.875% NYC tax: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/l ... UgEz9OiKAL
Jeremy Lin’s couch potato days are over.
The Knicks star guard, who’s been famously crashing on his big brother’s couch on the Lower East Side, is moving up in the world to the 20th floor of posh Trump Tower in downtown White Plains.
“Yes, he’s staying there,” a source within the building told The Post.
Lin is subletting from his former teammate on the Golden State Warriors, ex-Knick David Lee. The terms of the sub-lease have not been disclosed.
The 35-story building off Main Street in Westchester’s county seat is already home to several of his Knicks teammates as well as to members of the New York Rangers.

And it’s a short drive to the teams practice facility in nearby Greenburgh, and an even shorter walk to the many bars and restaurants that make White Plains a suburbanite’s party central.
Lin may not stay in Lee’s luxurious pad for long, however, as he’s still looking for his own place in the city while not ruling out Westchester as a permanent abode, another source said.
“It is very common for new Knicks to stay at the Trump Tower in White Plains while they get acclimated to the city,” the source said, adding that Amar'e Stoudamire spent some time in the building before moving into his own digs in the city.
“The Knicks keep players there when they are new. Sometimes they stay, sometimes they find places on their own there. Amar'e was there before getting his place. Every Knick player is there before finding their own apartment,” the source said.
Although Lee bought the unit, he ended up moving into the city and renting a place at the Time Warner Center with his girlfriend, following the pattern of Knicks players who start out at the Tower in White Plains then move on.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/l ... z1mTNJrhUY

greenspam

Post by greenspam » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:33 pm

chiowan wrote:He is also moving to David Lee's apartment in White Plains to avoid paying the New York City income tax.
you mean Lincome tax...
and yes, he is a conservative Linvestor; he uses bonds as portfolio Linsurance, but doesn't like current Linterest rates... recommends Linternational stocks...
:peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace
as always, | peace, | greenie.

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Twitter posts on JLin...

"Chuck Norris may wear Tebow pajamas but I’m pretty sure he has a Jeremy Lin night light to scare the boogeyman away. Wow! What a run!!!” — Heat forward Shane Battier

“Its crazy! I’m watching Linsanity hoping every shot goes in. Hope I never grow up.” — Suns guard Steve Nash

“I wish I was Jeremy Lin.” — CNN host Piers Morgan

FlyHi

Post by FlyHi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:08 pm

I have been a Knicks fan since the 50's, pro basketball is my favorite sport. I am also a big dog show fan having been in that game for many years. For years the Knicks have stunk so if the Westminster show was on the same time as a Knicks game I would watch the dog show and forget about the ball game. Last night I was switching channeles back and forth between the two and watch the last 2 minutes of the ball game and forgot about the dog show.

Loved the results of the Knicks game, hated the results of the dog show. I am a German Shepherd person and I thought the one competing for Best In Show was beautiful plus his handler was my handler when I started out and for many years after

“If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy”

griffins80

Post by griffins80 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Whenever Yao Ming made it in the league, the NBA knew it was a very lucrative deal for expansion of the brand in Asia (which was already quite popular). I have a feeling Lin is going to be even bigger. If he keeps it up, the sky is the limit for him and his value to the league
He sold out the Toronto Raptors game! There were tons of asian fans and media there. Yea he definitely adds alot value.
The kid is living my childhood dream. I've been a Knicks fan but the last 10 years have been tough. I love Linsanity! Some people in the media try to pour cold water on Linsanity and say that its a flash in the pan...that its not possible that he was not drafted and cut by 2 teams. Well, scouts have their biases...Lin doesn't look the part of an NBA player. He wanted to go to UCLA or Stanford...they weren't interested. Only Harvard and one other Ivy guaranteed him a spot on the team after he was All-State First Team and led his high school team to the championship. I've been following him since he outplayed the #1 pick during the summer leagues.

Oh yea I'm asian and I have like close to 3 months vacation days...I think thats the max. It all started when I was in school and my Tiger parents didn't let me miss school...told me to take a 'tussin and go to school.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Jeremy Lin is one smart guy. He won't be discovered living under an overpass years after his playing days are over. You won't find him mentioned in an article as an example of pro athletes who go broke. Let's hope more pro athletes follow his good example.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:32 pm

What I love is how he has transformed the Knicks team identity. Not sure how much adding Carmelo will help or hurt them. The NBA has more than its share of prima donnas, so it is nice to see a scorer be a team player making hustle plays.

larrydmsn

Post by larrydmsn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:40 pm

gerntz wrote:

Taiwanese.
Who is JLin? He is first and foremost an American. Ethnically he is a Chinese. His parents are American, Taiwanese and Chinese. And he is a Boglehead, a Christian too.

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Lin
In a video interview conducted by Elie Seckbach, he asked Lin how it felt to be representing so many people. Lin responded by stating, "It's humbling, a privilege, and a honor. I'm really proud of being Chinese, I'm really proud of my parents being from Taiwan. I just thank God for the opportunity."

E-M-H

Post by E-M-H » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:01 pm

wander wrote: He may have different look, but he is an American.
Different from whom? You?

TrustNoOne

Post by TrustNoOne » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Probably a good thing he did not have the Tiger Mother lady as his mom. She'd have never let him play basketball, when he could have been studying. :D

BTW - my wife is Chinese as well. First real interest in an NBA player in ages, if not ever. I just wish he has a sister somewhere for our Atlanta Dream.

wander

Post by wander » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:33 pm

E-M-H wrote:Different from whom? You?
What I meant was "don't judge people by the way they look". Do you refer yourself as European if your family moved to the U.S. from Europe?

pochax

Post by pochax » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:03 am

JLin's line last night vs. Sacramento: 10 pts, 13 assists (career high). looks like he is diversifying his portfolio away from points and rebaLINcing into assists. good move ;)

FlyHi

Post by FlyHi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:15 pm

pochax wrote:JLin's line last night vs. Sacramento: 10 pts, 13 assists (career high). looks like he is diversifying his portfolio away from points and rebaLINcing into assists. good move ;)
He only played 26 minutes last night. They rested him since the game was a blowout.
“If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy”

tnhooper45

Post by tnhooper45 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:10 pm

post of the week

bdpb

Post by bdpb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:37 pm

"In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 Linutes."

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:56 pm

NBA Update...San Antonio Spurs are riding a 9 game win streak. But who cares, it's not NYC.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

Ptk70

Post by Ptk70 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:30 pm

mickeyd wrote:NBA Update...San Antonio Spurs are riding a 9 game win streak. But who cares, it's not NYC.
Do they have an unheralded, undrafted player who came out of nowhere to turn around a deeply dysfunctional team? San Antonio is right where everyone expected them to be...

camper

Post by camper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Ptk70 wrote:
mickeyd wrote:NBA Update...San Antonio Spurs are riding a 9 game win streak. But who cares, it's not NYC.
Do they have an unheralded, undrafted player who came out of nowhere to turn around a deeply dysfunctional team? San Antonio is right where everyone expected them to be...
San Antonio is playing way above where everyone thought they would be. They would be a 2 seed in the west. Tony Parker is having a great year. San Antonio doesn't get any pub because they are relatively boring. That is what prolonged success gets you.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Sports belonged on the now-locked C&R forum. Since that forum is locked, posting a prohibited topic on another forum in an attempt to get around the lock is a violation of forum policy.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 5#p1299035
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi