New AMEX Blue Cash rewards lowered

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
am

New AMEX Blue Cash rewards lowered

Post by am » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:38 pm

Just noticed that AMEX blue cash rewards lowered the cash reward on the everywhere else category to 1%. Snuck a fast one by me. Did not notice. Now the card is no more competitive than the Chase Sapphire.

staustin

Re: New AMEX Blue Cash rewards lowered

Post by staustin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:07 pm

6% on groceries, 3% on gas is still excellent.

am

Post by am » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:43 pm

No, it is 5% for gas, groceries drugstore and 1% everywhere else after you spend about 6k or so.

momar

Post by momar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:44 pm

You are in the old AMEX Blue program. They have changed the terms; there are now two cards and no tiered rewards.

Take a lot at the two new reward programs; they are better.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep

tfb

Post by tfb » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:50 pm

am wrote:Just noticed that AMEX blue cash rewards lowered the cash reward on the everywhere else category to 1%. Snuck a fast one by me. Did not notice. Now the card is no more competitive than the Chase Sapphire.

Isn't that on the *old* AmEx Blue? The new Blue (Everyday and Preferred) always had 1% for everywhere else. FatWallet thread said cardholders were notified months ago, effective Feb. 1. The new Blue Preferred is one of the best for groceries and gas.

Best Rewards Card for Groceries and Gas: American Express Blue Cash Preferred vs PenFed Platinum Rewards
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:14 am

I believe the newer Blue Cash Preferred has a $75 annual fee where the original Blue Cash has no fee (maybe forgiven for the first year only). I have the old card.
Tom D.

Cernel

Post by Cernel » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:06 am

The original (old) Blue Cash Card was called just that, "Blue Cash." It did not have a fee, but for the first $6500 that you charged on the card annually, you would get reduced rates (and I can't remember what they are). Then once you hit the $6500 you would get 5% on groceries, gas and drug store purchases and 1.25% on all other purchases.

Amex changed the program by adding two new cards called Blue Cash Preferred and the Blue Cash Everyday Card. The Blue Cash Preferred Card carries a $75 annual fee and offers 6% on groceries, 3% on gas and department stores and 1% on everything else. The Blue Cash Everyday Card has NO annual fee and offers 3% on groceries, 2% on gas and department stores and 1% on everything else.

I think the OP was referring to the original card which I don't think is available to new accounts, but is still grandfathered for those that had it before Amex offered these new cards. If my assumption is right, then the OP is stating that Amex has lowered the "all other purchases" reward from 1.25% to 1%. I couldn't find anything on their website about the old card.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:25 am

The notification for the change in rebate terms for the original Blue Cash card was contained in the October 2011 billing statement at the end of that statement. It indicated the change would be effective February 2012.
Tom D.

amarone

Post by amarone » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Cernel wrote:The original (old) Blue Cash Card was called just that, "Blue Cash." It did not have a fee, but for the first $6500 that you charged on the card annually, you would get reduced rates (and I can't remember what they are). Then once you hit the $6500 you would get 5% on groceries, gas and drug store purchases and 1.25% on all other purchases.

Amex changed the program by adding two new cards called Blue Cash Preferred and the Blue Cash Everyday Card. The Blue Cash Preferred Card carries a $75 annual fee and offers 6% on groceries, 3% on gas and department stores and 1% on everything else. The Blue Cash Everyday Card has NO annual fee and offers 3% on groceries, 2% on gas and department stores and 1% on everything else.

I think the OP was referring to the original card which I don't think is available to new accounts, but is still grandfathered for those that had it before Amex offered these new cards. If my assumption is right, then the OP is stating that Amex has lowered the "all other purchases" reward from 1.25% to 1%. I couldn't find anything on their website about the old card.

The cash-back on the original Blue Cash card is now 1% on grocery, drugstore & gas and 0.5% on everything else for the first $6,500. Thereafter, it is 5% and 1% respectively.

JordanIB

Post by JordanIB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I had not caught this change. Will likely switch to the new version now.