Insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
alanf56

Insurance

Post by alanf56 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:44 am

I am currently in the shopping stage for insurance for the vehicles and house. I was wondering if anyone here uses or has used Nationwide and what your experience was with them? Also Geico and All State and any others you might suggest. I believe I will be able to lower my premiums by quite a large amount but wonder if I compromise any reliability if I need to use it.

chaz

Re: Insurance

Post by chaz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:11 pm

I like Allstate.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

hidesert

Post by hidesert » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:15 pm

If you are over 50 you should check out AARP/Hartford. They give a discount if you have auto and house with them.

damjam

Post by damjam » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:18 pm

If you are over 50 you should check out AARP/Hartford. They give a discount if you have auto and house with them.
Shop around AARP is often not the lowest price.

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:26 pm

If you have access to USAA Insurance services they're definitely worth looking at.

calcium

Post by calcium » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:53 pm

I'm with Amica and I find that their service is top notch and have the lowest rates for my car insurance. Renters insurance however wasn't very well priced but once I got the multiline discount, it was within range of what other companies were offering. I don't have any idea of how hard it is to get them to pay out as I've never had an issue. I know others on this forum have them and would be able to speak to the matter.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Here's another angle. Call your State Insurance Dept and ask for the complaint ratios (complaints/1000 policies) for the Auto insurers in your state. They do vary widely. Complaints obviously get made for all kinds or reasons but should be a good indicator of overall customer satisfaction

FabLab

Post by FabLab » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:31 pm

GEICO has been great for us on car insurance; we've been with them for about 38 years or so. They sent us coffee mugs once, too :D
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:28 pm

alanf56 wrote:I am currently in the shopping stage for insurance for the vehicles and house. I was wondering if anyone here uses or has used Nationwide and what your experience was with them? Also Geico and All State and any others you might suggest. I believe I will be able to lower my premiums by quite a large amount but wonder if I compromise any reliability if I need to use it.
I haven't used Nationwide, but just wanted to say that whichever you go with, check the company ratings with A.M. Best online and do it each year before you renew as the ratings can change. Also, insure.com is quite helpful overall.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:36 pm

My mother-in-law had Nationwide for many years and they seemed to perform well for her. She was in a number of accidents and was always well taken care of and not dropped. I do not know anything about the rates she paid.

I have had received very good service from State Farm and my rates are very competitive (I shop them every few years). I have, however, been with them all of my insured life so longevity could play into it. I never received coffee mugs from them though. :annoyed
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

itypefast

Post by itypefast » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:11 pm

No company is cheapest for everyone. You have to shop around. There used to be sites that did comparison shopping for you by entering your info once (insweb, insuremarket, comparison market, ebix, etc). Not sure who is still in business - I've been out of insurance for half a decade.