how often do u write checks?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
User avatar
JupiterJones
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks, englishgirl and sscritic, for jumping to my defense.

Maybe you'll want to rescind your support though, because imperabo got it right. :D I was making a joke about the thread title. Although my intent wasn't to be scornful. More like "playfully snarky".

"U" has formally stood for "university" for a lot longer than it has informally stood for "you". So it's always fun to just assume that that's what people mean when they use it. (Sort of like assuming that an "alot" is a big, furry creature.)

Anyway, for the record, I write one check a year for my property taxes, and I think that's pretty much it. And that's only because they slap a hefty surcharge on credit card payments.

JJ
Stay on target...

Radnog
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:32 am

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by Radnog » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:17 am

I write about 5-6 a year. My wife sends 1 a month to the lawn guy...

I keep 1 blank check in my wallet at all times. It's bailed me out a bunch of times when I didn't expect to cut a check...

User avatar
englishgirl
Posts: 2473
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:34 pm
Location: FL

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by englishgirl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:32 am

Imperabo wrote:
sscritic wrote:
On the other hand, perhaps JJ was playing with the U, deliberately interpreting it as University rather than yoU.
Yep

But I understand the confusion. Sorry.
Ahh, I see now. I only saw the u in the title, which was by jumpin, and didn't see that JJ had made a play on it.
Sarah

User avatar
englishgirl
Posts: 2473
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:34 pm
Location: FL

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by englishgirl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:35 am

JupiterJones wrote:Thanks, englishgirl and sscritic, for jumping to my defense.

Maybe you'll want to rescind your support though, because imperabo got it right. :D I was making a joke about the thread title. Although my intent wasn't to be scornful. More like "playfully snarky".

"U" has formally stood for "university" for a lot longer than it has informally stood for "you". So it's always fun to just assume that that's what people mean when they use it. (Sort of like assuming that an "alot" is a big, furry creature.)

Anyway, for the record, I write one check a year for my property taxes, and I think that's pretty much it. And that's only because they slap a hefty surcharge on credit card payments.

JJ
But then, surely you should have been making a joke about the grammar. If it was "how often do U's write checks" that might have worked. But with a singular U, then shouldn't it have been "how often does U write checks". :P [And please don't correct me if I shouldn't have used an appostrophe in "U's", nor for placement of commas!]
Sarah

sscritic
Posts: 21858
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:36 am

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by sscritic » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:39 am

englishgirl wrote: But then, surely you should have been making a joke about the grammar. If it was "how often do U's write checks" that might have worked.
You mean like how often do youse guys write checks? Youse is sometimes written as yous, abbreviated as Us or "U"s. [And I vote for no apostrophe :) ]

MathWizard
Posts: 3089
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by MathWizard » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:48 am

englishgirl wrote:
Imperabo wrote:
JupiterJones wrote:I'd imagine that universities write checks all the time. Payroll for those not on direct deposit, vendors, tuition refunds, etc.

Why do you ask?

JJ
Well done. Using texting abbreviations to save yourself a millisecond writing something that hundreds of people will read deserves whatever scorn we can heap upon it.
I don't understand your scorn, Imperabo. JJ = JupiterJones, which is how JJ signs every post. If that's also a texting abbreviation, it's not one I know, but then I don't know many.
I'd guess Imperabo interpreted JJ as Just Joking, which is a text abbreviation.

User avatar
NAVigator
Posts: 2457
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:24 am
Location: Iowa

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by NAVigator » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:52 pm

sscritic wrote:You mean like how often do youse guys write checks? Youse is sometimes written as yous, abbreviated as Us or "U"s. [And I vote for no apostrophe :) ]
The correct spelling is y'all unless youse guys are part of "them".

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

User avatar
FabLab
Posts: 1127
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by FabLab » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:57 am

NAVigator wrote:
sscritic wrote:You mean like how often do youse guys write checks? Youse is sometimes written as yous, abbreviated as Us or "U"s. [And I vote for no apostrophe :) ]
The correct spelling is y'all unless youse guys are part of "them".

Jerry
On matters of grammar, one can safely defer to Kinky Friedman, who prescribes the following:

Y'all is singular
All y'all is plural
All y'all's is plural possessive :lol
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld

fsrph
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:54 pm
Location: Pa.

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by fsrph » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:10 am

jumpin wrote:is it dead? ......
I write 30 - 40 paper checks a year. Used them for gifts, church, town garbage and recycling stickers, property taxes and a few utilities (that I choose to pay this way).

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

User avatar
damjam
Posts: 942
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:46 am

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by damjam » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:46 am

I wrote 45 checks last year. Which is more than I thought. On the other side I avoided 84 checks by using ACH.

Default User BR
Posts: 7501
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:32 pm

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by Default User BR » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:06 am

Last year was an anomaly for me. I was the executor for my mother's estate, so between the estate and the "shadow estate" (the POD accounts and IRA that were in my name) I wrote a lot of checks. Normally just a few each year.


Brian

rec7
Posts: 2369
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by rec7 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:16 am

Last year I wrote 5 checks.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

User avatar
beyou
Posts: 2094
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Northeastern US

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by beyou » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:22 pm

20 to 30 per year

school related fees
property taxes
life insurance payments

Basically if the institution seems to be behind the times, and prefers you mail
in a stub in their envelope, I will often oblige, but prefer CC and online bill payments
whenever possible.

User avatar
GregLee
Posts: 1748
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Waimanalo, HI

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by GregLee » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:55 pm

I never write checks, myself, but my wife writes about 4 per month for our household expenses. I don't think she has a good reason for continuing to use checks -- she's just used to doing it that way.
Greg, retired 8/10.

User avatar
mickeyd
Posts: 4634
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:19 pm
Location: Deep in the Heart of South Texas

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by mickeyd » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:13 pm

I just checked. Last year I "wrote" zero checks (not including ACH) however, DW wrote 6 as she occasionally writes off for geneology-related copies of documants.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

c.Alvin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:57 pm

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by c.Alvin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:35 pm

I reluctantly write in the range of 3 - 7 checks per year. The local government likes property taxes paid the old fashion way. Every now and then some one will request an immediate payment.

User avatar
HardKnocker
Posts: 2063
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:55 am
Location: New Jersey USA

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by HardKnocker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:30 am

Less than 3 per month.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

User avatar
beyou
Posts: 2094
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Northeastern US

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by beyou » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:58 am

nisiprius wrote:I don't know why there's a tendency to overhype obvious trends and perceive them to be faster than they really are. Checks will go away. The collapse will probably be fast and take people by surprise when it finally happens, as it will be a self-accelerating process. But it will probably make many years. "Everyone" could see that newspapers were dead circa the early 2000's--at the time I was working that a company that did a substantial portion of its business supplying equipment to newspapers. But I can still buy a choice of two dying local metropolitan newspapers out of coin-in-the-slot boxes at the train station, as well as The Wall Street Journal, and any number of free smudgy-ink-on-newsprint publications about apartments, local entertainment, gay issues, etc.

Paypal is of limited use. How many people in this forum have actually used Paypal to pay a small amount of money to a pal? Can you pay your League of Women Voters' dues by Paypal? How about the teen charity carwash? It's only complicated now by other banks getting into the act with different and incompatible systems. And the world is still full of geezers such as I, who have a cell phone that is only capable of making calls, not a "smart phone."
I would add that sometimes old practices or technology do not ever die, they just live on in terminology.
We still often use the term "dial" for a phone, but I have not seen a phone that actually can be dialed for many years (museum maybe).
I still read the NY Times and sometimes WSJ, but haven't touched the ink in years.
We still advertise the "horsepower" of our "carriage.

One of the options to pay on papal is via "Echeck" All that is, is an ACH from your account, and then to the receivers account.
I use paypal at times to pay small online businesses rather than give them my credit card #, but individuals usually want cash or check.

My local government allows online payments via electronic "check", if you prefer, and you must actually enter a check number,
not just your ABA/acct# as most sites. Not sure what happens if you just made up a random check number.

As you probably know, you can "deposit" checks without physically giving them to the bank these days, scanning yourself, into their system,
from your home. To the bank, a check is just now bytes of storage in their servers ! I am sure they would prefer you use
ACH type payment, much less storage than check images.

Personally, I can't see why anyone wants to write a check, deliver in person or prepare a mailer and deliver to the USPS,
or accept a check, deliver to the bank somehow (even scanning requires some effort). One reason we do is that our desire
to be PAID, in any fungible form, is greater than how we are paid, and we'll take it any way we can get it.

AlwaysaQ
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:37 am

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by AlwaysaQ » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:25 am

I have written 31 checks since the middle of last August.

I haven't yet automated the LTCI payment. I pay the property taxes and water bills by check. I use checks when donating money to charities. I pay the dentist and doctor by check. Most of the checks I write are for lawn and landscaping care, sprinkler care, snow removal, and when I call in the handyman to do things I can't do.

alanf56
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by alanf56 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:31 am

tuckeverlasting wrote:Once a month to pay my rent, and only very occasionally for anything else. Less than 20 a year. I would like to give checks to my kids for birthdays etc. but they refuse to take any $ from me.
We can pretend I am your kid if you like and you can send as many checks as you like. I won't refuse them! :)

User avatar
tuckeverlasting
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:50 pm
Location: The Emerald City

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by tuckeverlasting » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:31 pm

alanf56 wrote:
tuckeverlasting wrote:Once a month to pay my rent, and only very occasionally for anything else. Less than 20 a year. I would like to give checks to my kids for birthdays etc. but they refuse to take any $ from me.
We can pretend I am your kid if you like and you can send as many checks as you like. I won't refuse them! :)
Haha yeah, nice try. I thought I taught those kids to never turn down money... :lol
It's Good To Be A Boglehead

ResNullius
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:22 pm

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by ResNullius » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:23 pm

I guess I'm Old School, because I pay most of our basic bills via check sent through the US Mail. I just don't like giving my credit card out to folks who auto-bill. I'll probably change one of these days, but not today.

User avatar
interplanetjanet
Posts: 2226
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:52 pm
Location: the wilds of central California

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by interplanetjanet » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:14 pm

ResNullius wrote:I guess I'm Old School, because I pay most of our basic bills via check sent through the US Mail. I just don't like giving my credit card out to folks who auto-bill. I'll probably change one of these days, but not today.
I had the same approach for years, but eventually realized that between sending someone my credit card number or my bank account number - I'd rather they had the CC number. I've gone through both credit card and bank account compromise over the years, and the CC compromise was infinitely easier to recover from.

Some things I auto-bill, many I pay manually online when they come due with a credit card.

-janet

User avatar
Epsilon Delta
Posts: 7438
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:31 pm

I also use checks for most of my payments. There are several reasons:

1. I will never do auto-pay. The act of paying a bill prompts me to evaluate whether an expense is worthwhile. I would pay for unwanted services if I auto-payed. This is one reason companies wants everything on auto-pilot with auto-pay, auto-renew, etc. Now electronic payments technically don't require auto-pay, but I come across many providers that don't conveniently accommodate other options.

2. About 10-15 years ago I read a bunch of multi-page user agreements for several on-line banking services. I'm not sure why they were multi-page because I can sum them up in two sentences "We don't promise anything. We can change this agreement at any time, without telling you." Now it's true that the agreements for off-line banking weren't much better, but many of the attributes of checks are covered by law rather than the banks whims, there is more than a hundred years of statute and case law to knock the rough edges off. To the extent that on-line banking is covered by law many of the statutes were passed in haste in the dead of night and nobody knew how the courts would interpret them. It seems that every time there is a new payment technology the banks try an end run around the consumer protection laws that were a reaction to the previous end run. You get more protection if you stay away from innovation.

User avatar
JupiterJones
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:16 pm

blevine wrote: We still often use the term "dial" for a phone, but I have not seen a phone that actually can be dialed for many years (museum maybe).
Software to the rescue!

http://www.appbrain.com/search?q=rotary

JJ
Stay on target...

chipmonk
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:32 pm
Location: PDX

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by chipmonk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:38 pm

jumpin wrote:is it dead? ......
You mean the paper kind? :-p

Hmmm... I pay my rent to my landlord with a robo-check mailed from my Internet bank automatically. Saves me a stamp, a check, and having to remember to mail it. I occasionally send one-off robo-checks to reimburse friends/family for various expenses.

Other than that... I'd say I've written about 10 checks in the past two years, for security deposits, buying my car, and dealing with government agencies that had a surcharge for using a credit card.

The sooner checks are gone, the better, in my opinion. I'd rather just be able to do a direct person-to-person or account-to-account electronic payment, if such a thing were offered (1) across banks, (2) with zero fees, and (3) with instant confirmation of the success of the transaction.

User avatar
interplanetjanet
Posts: 2226
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:52 pm
Location: the wilds of central California

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by interplanetjanet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:47 pm

chipmonk wrote:The sooner checks are gone, the better, in my opinion. I'd rather just be able to do a direct person-to-person or account-to-account electronic payment, if such a thing were offered (1) across banks, (2) with zero fees, and (3) with instant confirmation of the success of the transaction.
I use ACH pushes to do this through USAA. The funds clear next business day, not instantly (ACH is fundamentally a batch process) but that's been good enough for my needs.

The stumbling block is that you need to get someone else's bank account number in order to initiate the process. Many Americans seem deeply suspicious of this, despite the fact that their account number is out in the open on every paper check they write. In many other countries bank accounts are treated more like telephone numbers, and are published exactly so that people can send them money in this manner.

-janet

chipmonk
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:32 pm
Location: PDX

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by chipmonk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:27 pm

interplanetjanet wrote:
chipmonk wrote:The sooner checks are gone, the better, in my opinion. I'd rather just be able to do a direct person-to-person or account-to-account electronic payment, if such a thing were offered (1) across banks, (2) with zero fees, and (3) with instant confirmation of the success of the transaction.
I use ACH pushes to do this through USAA. The funds clear next business day, not instantly (ACH is fundamentally a batch process) but that's been good enough for my needs.

The stumbling block is that you need to get someone else's bank account number in order to initiate the process. Many Americans seem deeply suspicious of this, despite the fact that their account number is out in the open on every paper check they write. In many other countries bank accounts are treated more like telephone numbers, and are published exactly so that people can send them money in this manner.

-janet
Yeah, I agree that the USAA system does sound extremely convenient based on your descriptions of it. However, it's still a system that can only be safely used between people who already trust each other, since there's no way to instantly confirm receipt. (The situation where I most often had this problem is while buying and selling bikes, furniture, and electronics off Craigslist in graduate school!)

I agree that the common reluctance to hand out checking account numbers is irrational given that they're printed on every check, and are already totally unprotected. I think the perception of insecurity is based on a lack of any kind of widespread understanding or convention requiring financial institutions to authenticate and authorize electronic withdrawals. Many institutions require trial deposits or some other kind of authentication before they'll issue ACH pulls, but not all seem to do this, and there's quite a lack of transparency about what exactly is going on.

What we really need, in my opinion, is an interopable system of person-to-person payment that allows for mutual authentication and authorization of the transaction on the fly...

deathb4disco
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by deathb4disco » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:33 pm

I write 5-6 per month. I'm old fashioned.

User avatar
interplanetjanet
Posts: 2226
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:52 pm
Location: the wilds of central California

Re: how often do u write checks?

Post by interplanetjanet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:02 pm

chipmonk wrote:Yeah, I agree that the USAA system does sound extremely convenient based on your descriptions of it. However, it's still a system that can only be safely used between people who already trust each other, since there's no way to instantly confirm receipt. (The situation where I most often had this problem is while buying and selling bikes, furniture, and electronics off Craigslist in graduate school!)
Yes, this is still a big problem area. I do most of my dealing in cash for things like that, or when I stop at a produce stand at the edge of a farm (usually just a tent or canopy with one person in it).

When I bought my most recent car (used) I went with the seller to his bank, and did a (zero cost) debit card cash advance, which was then immediately deposited into his account, as cash. This worked out very well and showed up in both of our accounts instantly.
What we really need, in my opinion, is an interopable system of person-to-person payment that allows for mutual authentication and authorization of the transaction on the fly...
It would be nice. I expect things to get better but there will probably be fits and starts as different approaches are tried.

-janet

Post Reply