Frugal Use of an Amazon Gift Card?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
tj

Re: Frugal Use of an Amazon Gift Card?

Post by tj »

They never expire, so I would just save them until there's something you really want. Or re-gift if you haven't entered the codes. :)
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

If you are worried about losing the gift cards, you can enter them into Amazon and the balance will remain there until you use it. Great prices for Black Friday if you don't need anything right away. Or, the next time you need to buy something, look at the prices at Amazon vs. Costco. I really enjoy shopping at Costco, but sometimes they do not carry what I am looking for and Amazon does.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

I buy certain non-prescription items like eye drops off Amazon. Depending upon the item the price can be as much as 50 percent lower than anything I can buy locally or on any other web site. Then there's the lack of local sales tax. But it takes a bit of sifting and sorting on Amazon to find the low prices. And the prices do bop up and down on a daily basis. I have heard of people buying grocery items off Amazon because of cost savings.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Here's a few ideas for the inner-consumer in you ....

http://www.reddit.com/comments/g30ze/th ... on_amazon/
Watty

Post by Watty »

The eneloop rechargeable batteries supposedly last a lot longer than normal rechargeable batteries because they can be recharged a lot more times than normal rechagable batteries.

The higher end battery chargers like this one have a mode where it will refresh a battery that won't take a charge in a plug in charger by repeatedly charging and discharging it to extend it upper limit. This can take about four days to do and they will not be as good as new but they can be usable for a while longer.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology ... 302&sr=8-2

You could also get one of the less expensive e-Ink kindles and then dowload free books;

http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/
Igglesman

Post by Igglesman »

One of the better deals on Amazon, this gallon of milk for $45.

Read the Customer Reviews if you need convincing. If this does not meet your fancy, see the "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" items.

http://www.amazon.com/Tuscan-Whole-Milk ... 575&sr=8-1
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Watty wrote:The eneloop rechargeable batteries supposedly last a lot longer than normal rechargeable batteries because they can be recharged a lot more times than normal rechagable batteries.

The higher end battery chargers like this one have a mode where it will refresh a battery that won't take a charge in a plug in charger by repeatedly charging and discharging it to extend it upper limit. This can take about four days to do and they will not be as good as new but they can be usable for a while longer.

My experience has been that the Crosse chargers may not be able to charge (using any mod) fully discharged batteries. I have to give the discharged batteries a kick-start in a cheap charger, after which the Crosse chargers can finish the job. So don't toss your unintelligent charger if you get a Crosse.

Paul
mikep

Post by mikep »

Diapers on the amazon mom/subscribe & save program are the cheapest I have ever seen between walmart/sams if you have small kids. Also earns you free month of prime for every box up to 10.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

My experience is that on common brand-name retail items, Amazon often has the same prices as local stores, so if you can use Super Saver shipping, it doesn't cost you any more. So that means: look for items of that kind, that are compact to store, don't expire, and that you are absolutely certain you will use $25 worth in a year or so. Then stock up a bit. (And that won't tempt you to use wastefully because you have so much stocked up).

You might start by buying ten packages of dental floss...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Igglesman wrote:One of the better deals on Amazon, this gallon of milk for $45.

Read the Customer Reviews if you need convincing. If this does not meet your fancy, see the "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" items.

http://www.amazon.com/Tuscan-Whole-Milk ... 575&sr=8-1
My UPS driver was upset when she delivered a toilet to me - she was complaining to me about the "diaper people" - If she had to bring milk she'd cut me off.
bentonmd

Post by bentonmd »

Do what I do:

1. Use the gift card to buy physical books (not ebooks)
2. Read said book
3. Sell used book on amazon.com and get most of your money back

I have probably done this with over $5,000 over the past 10 years, possibly a lot more. You can also do this for DVDs and other things as well.
Watty

Post by Watty »

tibbitts wrote:
Watty wrote:The eneloop rechargeable batteries supposedly last a lot longer than normal rechargeable batteries because they can be recharged a lot more times than normal rechagable batteries.

My experience has been that the Crosse chargers may not be able to charge (using any mod) fully discharged batteries. I have to give the discharged batteries a kick-start in a cheap charger, after which the Crosse chargers can finish the job. So don't toss your unintelligent charger if you get a Crosse.

Paul
I've found that too and it even says that in the manual which is sort of funny.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Here are few items I bought recently,,,highly recommend all 3 :D
Looks like the can opener has gone up 5 bucks,must be popular :D

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-eneloop-Pre ... 407&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-77203-E ... roduct_top

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Audio ... 77&sr=1-13
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
mikep

Post by mikep »

Also another one is some car parts run about half the price as the local shop. At the end of the summer I saw windshield wipers on amazon for $5.99, autozone were $10.99 for the same brand. In the winter though the price went up to $8.99.
WorkToLive

Post by WorkToLive »

I buy recycled toilet paper on Amazon for a pretty decent price. I also get my fish oil (Kirkland brand, USP verified) there, too. I'll third the Eneloop batteries. I love mine and it's awesome not having to buy batteries to throw away anymore. You could also buy gifts from Amazon. When i've seen the grocery prices, they are higher than the stores, so I'm not sure that is your best bet. There may be a place to donate the money and just get the tax deduction, too.
TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex »

Lots of stuff is a good deal on Amazon:

- car parts
- kitchen stuff (knives, pans, etc.)
- books (obviously) and other entertainment items
- electronics

Even if you don't buy anything yourself, you will probably give some gifts, right?

Finally, you can always sell them. I'm sure someone would give you at least $180 for them.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

I'm not sure if this works for Amazon gift cards (I think it does), but we received two holiday gift cards for places where we do not shop. I took the gift cards to the places of purchase last weekend and asked if I could trade them for non-holiday themed gift cards. So, now we'll re-gift the gift cards (they now say "Happy Birthday" instead of "Merry Christmas.") This seemed like an easier strategy than reselling them on PlasticJungle or a similar website.
Breezy

Post by Breezy »

Can you put the money toward a Prime membership? That gives you free two-day shipping for a year. It costs $79.

Also, you can "subscribe and save" for everyday household objects at very good prices on some things.

All in all, a nice problem to have!
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

jenny345 wrote:I have a few Amazon gift cards piled up between Coinstar and Christmas gifts. I am going through an anti-consumer, low buying phase right now so I am trying not to buy too much except for food and products that save money in the long run, like the Kill A Watt meter and refillable water bottles.

Any suggestions on how to spend my $200? Are there any grocery items you buy from Amazon that are cheaper than Costco?
Kindle for your Bogleish books, save time (instant delivery) and space.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

jenny345 wrote: Any suggestions on how to spend my $200? Are there any grocery items you buy from Amazon that are cheaper than Costco?
No, but there are some grocery items I can't find at Costco which I order on amazon, such as yeast . I use a lot to make my own bread and just reordered.
I buy Design whey chocolate protein powder too, I don't like the taste of the protein powders at Costco.

There are quite a few nice kitchen utensils and small appliances on Amazon that you may not find locally.
I bought a Zojirushi BB-HAC10 mini bread maker last year. Very happy with it. That will take care almost of your entire $200 :) It will pay for itself if you eat bread frequently, and as a Frenchman I do.
Looking at my purchases from last year I bought lots of little things like foil cutter, wine areator, bottle opener, ice cream scoops, cherry pitter, bread slicer, bread keeper.

Not a grocery item, but supplies for my jacuzzi are very cheap on Amazon. I don't even know where to go locally for them.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rylemdr

Post by rylemdr »

If you're willing to sell the gift cards for cheaper, I'm definitely willing to buy :D
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

You could sell the card on Cardpool or PlasticJungle
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

jenny345 wrote:I sold a gift card on eBay, and I'm not sure it was worth the time involved. I don't think I would do that again. Plus I wonder if someone could just say they didn't get the card, and then you'd be our 100% of the value on the card. Everything worked out fine with the card I sold, but I don't think I would take the chance again. With the Amazon cards I already entered the number into the Amazon system, so it is too late anyway to sell them at this point.
Ahh, I see you mentioned above you already entered the codes. For future reference, cardpool.com is quick and easy for buying and selling. I purchased some cards at a discount to give as gifts, and also exchanged a Best Buy card (which I did not want) for an Amazon credit.