would you buy this Honda Accord?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
puck2005

would you buy this Honda Accord?

Post by puck2005 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:23 pm

2005, EX-L Sedan, leather, sunroof, 6 cylinder, automatic.
$9,000 - 84,000 miles

Rebuilt tile because of hail. I have not seen the carfax yet.
I plan on having a mechanic looking it over.

We have a 2 door Cavalier with 125K miles - wanting something safer and with four doors and cruise.

VT_Banker

Re: would you buy this Honda Accord?

Post by VT_Banker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:03 pm

I have a 2005 accord with ~ 85k miles and love it. It's the 4 cyl so different engine but after 50k miles and 4 years not one problem. Plan to keep this one for several more years and would buy another in a heartbeat.

eschaef

Post by eschaef » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:09 pm

I have a 2005 Accord as well, also about 85k miles. Drove my old Accord to 200k+ before it finally started falling apart. Still got $500 trade-in for it. Even with the donut for one tire. :lol:

My dad liked my car, so he bought the same model and year as well. Of course, HIS has leather seats. Fancy. :)

Kuota Rider

Post by Kuota Rider » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:10 pm

We have a 2001 Accord with 120K miles. Still purrrs just fine, and no problems at all. We had a recall on the transmission, and Honda essentially replaced it at 50K.

norookie

Post by norookie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:11 pm

DEALER offering ?
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

BostonBoy

Post by BostonBoy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:39 pm

I just traded in my 1999 Accord coupe for $2800. It had 142,000 miles. I bought the 2011 Accord SE.

Anon1234

Post by Anon1234 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Neglecting the title problem that is a good car at a good price, per consumer reports, and my co-worker who has that exact model.

How do you know the re-built 'brand' was due to hail damage?

nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:52 pm

I drive a 1998 Accord 4 cylinder with 204,000 miles on it! My serpentine belt was in 2 pieces until a couple of days ago when I changed it haha
"Beware of little expenses, a small leak will sink a great ship" - Poor Richard

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:30 am

I used to handle insurance claims. The rule of thumb for rebuilt salvage vehicles is that they generally should be 15-40% cheaper than the comparable vehicle with a clear title. They are harder to sell, sometimes require additional inspections, and I'd want to make sure it really was hail and not a flood car. You should be able to obtain an estimate or copy of payment for prior damages/repairs.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:28 am

puck2005 wrote:2005, EX-L Sedan, leather, sunroof, 6 cylinder, automatic.
$9,000 - 84,000 miles

Rebuilt tile because of hail. I have not seen the carfax yet.
I plan on having a mechanic looking it over.

We have a 2 door Cavalier with 125K miles - wanting something safer and with four doors and cruise.

No, because it does not have ESC.

http://epicurusgarden.blogspot.com/2011 ... h-esc.html

What year Cavalier do you have?

doogan

Post by doogan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:46 am

Great Car!!!
But would not touch this one. I have bought many used cars successfully for myself over the years. (My favourite was a 92 coupe. Bought it original owner at 120K.. put another 120 on it and sold it to a Honda maintenance tech- Still flawless outside of normal wear and tear) I have simple criteria:

Buy from the original owner only - not a dealer - NEVER. There is a higher chance you will get the true history. Not guarenteed - but more than likely if someone bought a car new - and kept it to ~~100K miles - and its 6-7 years old, its been taken care of. Review maintenance records. Again with an Original owner - most likely they will be intact.
User common sense thoroughly inspect the car. I have a mechanical background so I find this easy. A good inspection tells alot.
I would never buy a car where the engine block area has been cleaned and is shining. If there was no issue with the car - there is no reason to touch the engine block. My skeptical side tells me something is being covered up.

If you know there was a title rebuild ... I would walk away

Just my .02...

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:21 pm

+1 on the don't buy a rebuild if your goal is reliability.

Even if it is only hail damage, a rebuilt car won't be as reliable as one that was assembled in the factory and never touched (except for normal maintenance). A huge part of a car manufacturer's ability to get high reliability is the effort they put into assembly quality (getting all of the bolts in and tightened properly). The Japanese learned this first. A car that has had major work on it will have a lot of parts that may or may not have been assembled properly. Even a good mechanic can't do as good a job as the person on the assembly line. The production line assembler has new parts, a workstation that is designed to give him good access, and training on how to do the job right. The mechanic rebuilding the car has to deal with corrosion and dirt, limited access, and the need to work on a lot of different cars. Even under the best conditions, he will have to work harder to get all of the bolts and seals in the right place and tight.
Lorne

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Personally, $9k is too much cash to spend on a rebuilt title IMO. But........

Rebuilt titles CAN be a good buy...it just depends on the damage and the situation. See if they have documentation (pictures and repair receipts) of what happened. With the repair and parts costs these days, sometimes cars get called total loss when it's barely in anyone's best interest to do so. Also, only buy if you plan on driving it into the ground...I wouldn't ever plan on selling it. Also consider how handy you are and if you can get "friends and family" discount with any mechanics if something comes up.

If there was any flood, fire, or structural (frame) damage, or if airbags were ever deployed, stay away. Make sure to have a qualified BODY mechanic look at the car too. With a rebuilt title you have to look at more than just the powertrain. *IF* this thing was really a total loss due to hail and only cosmetic damage to the body/windows/etc occurred, and you can see proof of that, and the person that did the repairs and paint work isn't a hack (which most are), you might have a good buy.

My FIL buys and rebuilds cars all the time. If you have someone that knows what to look for check it out, you might find a bargain. Chances are good that it'll be a piece of junk though. Most rebuilt title cars are hack jobs and/or are disqualified from being a smart buy based on one or more of the above conditions making it unsafe.

EDIT:

doogan wrote:I would never buy a car where the engine block area has been cleaned and is shining. If there was no issue with the car - there is no reason to touch the engine block.

You must not have any "car guys" in your family!! :lol:
Last edited by guitarguy on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beareconomy

Post by beareconomy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:01 pm

That is an 8 year old car for 9k. It may be possible to get a leftover stripped 2011 accord for 18k at a low finance rate. I think you would just be better of with that. New car warranty and all. I mean, after 8 years, things will break like brake master cylinder, tune up will need to be done, that car may have broken cv axles, just normal stuff that breaks in due time. Also, break pads and rotors, alternator, starter, new tires. Also, that car won't have the vehicle stability assist which is an important safety issue.

I probably wouldn't offer any more than 5k for that car. I think for the extra 9k, just go for the new car. You don't need the fancy leather and sunroof that 8 year old car has.

Just my opinion.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Along with the title issues which others have addressed, you should also look at the timing belt. We bought the 2005 4 cylinder for my wife, which has a timing chain. It's considered a lifetime part. The V6 has a belt, which is usually replaced around 90-105k. Might want to check around on pricing for that service and factor it in.

Also would agree with the comments on electronic stability control. Especially since you cited safety as one reason to switch from the Cavalier.

nosajo

Post by nosajo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:39 pm

Look to see if there are any transmission problems with that year first.

I had a 2004 EX-L with 85,000 when the transmission needed to be replaced :x Did some research and it turns out there had been many people who encountered this same problem, but Honda denied it was an issue and thus did nothing. I fixed the transmission but sold before the 2 year warranty on it expired... Honda's won't be seeing me in their dealership again after that experience, no biggie to them I'm sure.