Books for kids to read on Investing, Finance, Economics, etc

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
mr.ajandkj

Books for kids to read on Investing, Finance, Economics, etc

Post by mr.ajandkj » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:35 pm

I am working on putting together a booklist for my kids to read, specifically for my 11yo at this point. She is an advanced reader (and student for that matter), for example she recently flew through the Lord of the Rings trilogy in a week.

My plan is to start her absorbing more advanced material useful for life application in the future, with my plan to pay her a few dollars per book/audiobook read/listened to after she provides me a short synopsis of what she reads. She is already on board with doing this, so this should be a fun adventure to see what happens. :)

Thanks for your inputs.

Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Books for kids to read on Investing, Finance, Economics,

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:50 pm

The Richest Man in Babylon. - easy read, applications are practical in real life.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

mr.ajandkj

Post by mr.ajandkj » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:56 pm

thanks!

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Tom Sawyer, Chapter Two

Longer and more challenging - The Grapes of Wrath, The Jungle

I think books that showcase underlying economic ideas in the context of an engaging narrative (rather than teaching about diversification, etc.) are more appropriate for an 11-year-old.

FafnerMorell

Post by FafnerMorell » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:27 pm

"The Wealthy Barber" and the "The Richest Man in Babylon" are two books I found useful in getting started thinking about applied household economics, and "The Great Depression: A Diary" was a real interesting read. Getting a couple of issues of the Economist, Consumer Reports, and maybe Forbes would be good exposure. If there's a library nearby, then encourage them to explore around in the business and economics section - and I suspect some books like "Dow 36,000" would be excellent for pointing out that there's always a lot of folks certain about how economics is going to turn out who don't turn out to be right.

JennMcNeal23

Post by JennMcNeal23 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:30 am

For kids, I like Anna the Bookbinder, Caps for Sale, and Together in Pinecone Patch...all good books that teach about economic history, goods, and consumers.

TRC

Post by TRC » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:14 pm

While David Bach's "Automatic Millionaire" isn't geared for kids, it's a really quick and easy read that explains the concepts of debt and investing in simple terms.

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:05 pm

Acres of Diamonds

Richest Man in Babylon
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett