Bogleheads, its your fault, you did this to me!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Jay69

Bogleheads, its your fault, you did this to me!

Post by Jay69 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:16 pm

We had the best weather day around here for a mid winter January day in the land of 10,000 lakes yesterdsay. We broke a record of 52 degrees. We have zero snow, that’s just nuts for us. Back to 20's-teens and snow today :cry:

Ok, where is this all going you ask. Being the wonderful weather yesterday thought it would be nice to grill up a burger and have a cold beer.

As I stand looking at all the adult beverages in front of me in all their glory I find myself looking at the price tags. I never used to give it much thought, I would typically buy the same American flavor sale or no sale. Now I’m finding myself dazed and confused as what to do over this major decision :wink: , do I save $5 and pick up another flavor? It’s not like I buying all the time, so its really not even a big deal.

I opted for the sale and saved the $5, even as I write this I’m still getting a chuckle out of it, one would think I just bought a new car for ½ the money.

I have been in Bogle land for about a year, its funny how many things have changed in a year. Its one of the those little moments that clicks in your brain, its interesting that we are such creatures of habit, well I’m a creature of habit anyway.

The burger was great, the beer was perfect, spent a few hours in the wood shop and finished up my daughter dresser and I saved $5. What’s not to like.

Just a small thank you to all of you. Looking forward to another great year.

Btw, I still plan to splurge and pick up a good micro brew ever so often!

:sharebeer
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein

FabLab

Re: Bogleheads, its your fault, you did this to me!

Post by FabLab » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:20 pm

Mild weather in January: I'll raise a glass of Guinness to that? :sharebeer
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld

joha31

Post by joha31 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Jay69 wrote:We had the best weather day around here for a mid winter January day in the land of 10,000 lakes yesterdsay. We broke a record of 52 degrees. We have zero snow, that’s just nuts for us. Back to 20's-teens and snow today :cry:

Ok, where is this all going you ask. Being the wonderful weather yesterday thought it would be nice to grill up a burger and have a cold beer.

As I stand looking at all the adult beverages in front of me in all their glory I find myself looking at the price tags. I never used to give it much thought, I would typically buy the same American flavor sale or no sale. Now I’m finding myself dazed and confused as what to do over this major decision :wink: , do I save $5 and pick up another flavor? It’s not like I buying all the time, so its really not even a big deal.

I opted for the sale and saved the $5, even as I write this I’m still getting a chuckle out of it, one would think I just bought a new car for ½ the money.

Over the Christmas holiday I went to the liquor store to pick up some captain morgans rum for my father in law. I noticed that the regular was only 70 proof (35%) while the black cask was 100 proof (50%). I don't remember the specific prices but my thought process went a little something like this:

CM Spiced Rum 1.75L x 35% = 0.6125L @ $30 = $48.98 per liter of alcohol
CM Black Cask 1.75L x 50% = 0.875L @36 = $41.14 per liter of alcohol

Needless to say the Boglehead in me purchased the Black Cask and told my FIL to like it.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott

chaz

Post by chaz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:22 pm

joha31 wrote:
Jay69 wrote:We had the best weather day around here for a mid winter January day in the land of 10,000 lakes yesterdsay. We broke a record of 52 degrees. We have zero snow, that’s just nuts for us. Back to 20's-teens and snow today :cry:

Over the Christmas holiday I went to the liquor store to pick up some captain morgans rum for my father in law. I noticed that the regular was only 70 proof (35%) while the black cask was 100 proof (50%). I don't remember the specific prices but my thought process went a little something like this:

CM Spiced Rum 1.75L x 35% = 0.6125L @ $30 = $48.98 per liter of alcohol
CM Black Cask 1.75L x 50% = 0.875L @36 = $41.14 per liter of alcohol

Needless to say the Boglehead in me purchased the Black Cask and told myFI L to like it.
100 proof may be too strong for FI L.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:36 pm

We had the best weather day around here for a mid winter January day in the land of 10,000 lakes yesterdsay. We broke a record of 52 degrees. We have zero snow, that’s just nuts for us. Back to 20's-teens and snow today :(
This is called "reversion to mean" :lol:
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:34 pm

My favorite north of the border cerveza vendor, raised the price on a 12pack of long-necks by a buck. The signage had the old price, so I went to customer service and retrieved my $2.25 on 2 12packs. Another Boglehead moment.

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:44 pm

My favorite north of the border cerveza vendor, raised the price on a 12pack of long-necks by a buck. The signage had the old price, so I went to customer service and retrieved my $2.25 on 2 12packs. Another Boglehead moment.
I had a similar Boglehead moment just a little while ago. I'm sitting in my study doing year end paperwork cleanup; and the phone rings. It's a nice lady from the area newspaper, asking if I would like to subscribe to the paper. I told her we in fact already subscribe; and it's in fact due for renewal within two weeks, but would be happy to hear any special offer she might have. She took a look, and came back with a price of $88. My normal renewal rate would have been $148. So I just saved a cool 60 bucks. What's not to like?!

Sometimes it pays to answer those solicitation calls.
Last edited by rotorhead on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:45 pm

OP, you might want to rethink about what you do with your $$$, since your post is not about what is recommended in Bogleheads books. So, what you wrote has nothing to do about being Boglehead. It is the exact opposite.

All behavioral books (which happily reprint research done by Kahneman & Tversky) recommend that you need to spend the money on experiences and things that you enjoy. So, if you enjoy good beer and it provides you with good experience then you need to spend $$ on good beer.

Instead you save money on not owning things, i.e. you get books from the library, drive "cheaper" car, don't buy "this season" cloth, etc.

So, there is nothing "Bogleheadish" in buying cheap beer. Life is too short to drink cheap beer. :wink:

DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:44 pm

hsv_climber wrote:OP, you might want to rethink about what you do with your $$$, since your post is not about what is recommended in Bogleheads books. So, what you wrote has nothing to do about being Boglehead. It is the exact opposite.

All behavioral books (which happily reprint research done by Kahneman & Tversky) recommend that you need to spend the money on experiences and things that you enjoy. So, if you enjoy good beer and it provides you with good experience then you need to spend $$ on good beer.

Instead you save money on not owning things, i.e. you get books from the library, drive "cheaper" car, don't buy "this season" cloth, etc.

So, there is nothing "Bogleheadish" in buying cheap beer. Life is too short to drink cheap beer. :wink:
I disagree entirely!

OP had not been considering costs in his beer purchase habits, and due to Bogleheads, began to consider the value proposition, and found that for $5 less, he obtained the same result and is considering costs on other items as well.

I think you are superimposing your own rather narrow view ow what being a Boglehead means, to someone who has benefited from the idea of evaluating what we spend rather than just blindly going for the 'premium' brand and being a brand snob, even if the practical net outcome is not improved by buying on cachet. When you buy those brands, you are in effect subsidizing their advertising and other costs they expend to establish that 'brand' -- so, what could be more Bogleheadish than refusing to pay a 'load' on your purchase, if you find your needs are met for less?

supersharpie

Post by supersharpie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:50 pm

I don't go cheap on alcohol. Good beer is still relatively cheap in comparison to good wine. I commonly spend $12.99 on a four pack of Founders Breakfast Stout, one of the Top 10 (IMO) beers in the world. For that same price I would only be able to afford an entry level Cabernet Sauvignon.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Picked up some Bogle Merlot yesterday. It was on sale - $3 off on each bottle. Bought a case. :lol:

bmelikia

Post by bmelikia » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:26 pm

I am not a "Boglehead" so that I can be cheap on beer and the things that I enjoy. . .

. . .I choose to be a "Boglehead" because I require good beer and to take part in the things that I enjoy that require money. . .and as a result I must invest appropriately!
"I would rather die with money, than live without it...." - Bogleheads member Ron | | "The greatest enemy of a good plan, is the dream of a perfect plan." | -Bogle

neverknow

Post by neverknow » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:56 pm

You can have all my snow, and I won't charge you a penny for it. Actually, some of it was probably yours anyway, but dropped out of the clouds long before it got to you. (been covered in it for months now - it will be a glorious spring, if spring ever gets here). They said we had more snow in December, then all of last year combined.
neverknow

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:17 pm

retiredjg wrote:Picked up some Bogle Merlot yesterday. It was on sale - $3 off on each bottle. Bought a case. :lol:
I'll do you one better. For Christmas, my spouse gave me a case of wine, all Wine Spectator and Parker review 90 points or better. What he told me is that every wine met this criteria except one, and that I'd know exactly which one and why.

I opened the case and found it - a Bogle 2009 Merlot. He got it only because of this forum. It's a good example of the Boglehead approach - enjoy it now while you can. Also, Bogle is not rated 90 points. I need to do some comparisons before I find out how much he paid for the rest of the case. :P
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mclvngr

Post by mclvngr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:37 pm

bmelikia wrote:I am not a "Boglehead" so that I can be cheap on beer and the things that I enjoy. . .

. . .I choose to be a "Boglehead" because I require good beer and to take part in the things that I enjoy that require money. . .and as a result I must invest appropriately!
I couldn't agree more! I've tried poor and I've tried rich. I like rich! :sharebeer

Jay69

Post by Jay69 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Well all, the $5 savings was a short lived, with 2 kids and just comming back from Costco its all gone now :wink:

You know the whole beer deal has come full circle for me. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy a good stout ale ever now and again heck I spent a few years, ok more than a few brewing beer but the plain old beer from when I was in my early 20's is just fine with me. It bings me back to a point where I did not have two cents to my name, life was simple, fun and not a care, ah the good ol days :)

The next stop for beer I'm still going to look to save the $5, I wont be going for the $8.00 case stuff however, I still have some pride.

I have to give thanks to all the Costco threads lately as well, found a few deals that I did not know about, this little change on a few items I bet saved us an easy $10-$15! Works for me, its been a great week.

Jay69

Post by Jay69 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:40 pm

neverknow wrote:You can have all my snow, and I won't charge you a penny for it. Actually, some of it was probably yours anyway, but dropped out of the clouds long before it got to you. (been covered in it for months now - it will be a glorious spring, if spring ever gets here). They said we had more snow in December, then all of last year combined.
neverknow
Thats ok you keep it, I still have visions from the past two brutal winters we had, I normally love winter! Days are getting longer by 2min a day, spring is around the corrner.

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:47 am

DRiP Guy wrote:OP had not been considering costs in his beer purchase habits, and due to Bogleheads, began to consider the value proposition, and found that for $5 less, he obtained the same result and is considering costs on other items as well.

I think you are superimposing your own rather narrow view ow what being a Boglehead means, to someone who has benefited from the idea of evaluating what we spend rather than just blindly going for the 'premium' brand and being a brand snob, even if the practical net outcome is not improved by buying on cachet. When you buy those brands, you are in effect subsidizing their advertising and other costs they expend to establish that 'brand' -- so, what could be more Bogleheadish than refusing to pay a 'load' on your purchase, if you find your needs are met for less?
I am looking forward to seeing links from you that would prove that in blind tests there is no difference in taste between "premium" (aka micro brewery) brands and generic (aka Bud, Bud Light, etc.).

OTOH, I can provide you with a list of about 3-5 Bogleheads books, which are listed on Wiki, which cite Kahneman and Tversky and show that it is definitely worth it to spend money on experiences.

DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:34 am

hsv_climber wrote: I am looking forward to seeing links from you that would prove that in blind tests there is no difference in taste between "premium" (aka micro brewery) brands and generic (aka Bud, Bud Light, etc.).

OTOH, I can provide you with a list of about 3-5 Bogleheads books, which are listed on Wiki, which cite Kahneman and Tversky and show that it is definitely worth it to spend money on experiences.
That is the beautiful thing about this situation: It matters not a whit what some wag wrote in some book, nor even what science has to say on the matter, nor all the beer snobs in the world lined up end to end, all wagging fingers of approbation, in military formation.

It is as simple as him making his personal preference: Deciding whether the PURCHASER'S taste buds and wallet are violated by making the new, more affordable, choice.

Clearly OP is happy; so it tickles me to see people saying he is 'wrong,' and attempting to find citations and 'proof' that this is so! Good luck with that!

:lol

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:45 am

DRiP Guy wrote: Clearly OP is happy; so it tickles me to see people saying he is 'wrong,' and attempting to find citations and 'proof' that this is so! Good luck with that!

Strawman?

I've never said that OP is 'wrong'. It is his life & his money. I've pointed out that being "Boglehead" had nothing to do with it, since Boglehead approach as recommended by Books on Wiki (i.e. Your Money & your brain, Predictably Irrational, etc.) actually argues towards spending the money towards good experiences and drinking good beer is one of them.

BTW, my sister is a happy customer of Edward Jones. So, should I stay put and never mention Boglehead theories to her?
Last edited by hsv_climber on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

CassiusKing

Post by CassiusKing » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:48 am

mclvngr wrote:
bmelikia wrote:I am not a "Boglehead" so that I can be cheap on beer and the things that I enjoy. . .

I couldn't agree more! I've tried poor and I've tried rich. I like rich! :sharebeer
Thirded. And OP, you're in Minnesota, grab yourself some of that fine Surly Brewing beer! I could drink Surly Furious every day! :sharebeer
"Who cares how time advances? I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe

Jay69

Post by Jay69 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:22 am

CassiusKing wrote:
mclvngr wrote:

Thirded. And OP, you're in Minnesota, grab yourself some of that fine Surly Brewing beer! I could drink Surly Furious every day! :sharebeer
When I was a kid we used to hop on the trains in the back of where Surly is now!

With the new changed brew law this past year in Minnesota we are going to see a host of new what they call "Destination Brewery's" its a great deal for the litte guy that I'm glad to see.

DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:00 pm

hsv_climber wrote: I've never said that OP is 'wrong'.
OP:"Bogleheads, its your fault, you did this to me!... I have been in Bogle land for about a year, its funny how many things have changed in a year... I find myself looking at the price tags... I would typically buy the same American flavor sale or no sale.... I opted for the sale and saved the $5, even as I write this I’m still getting a chuckle out of it, one would think I just bought a new car for ½ the money.... Its one of the those little moments that clicks in your brain.. the beer was perfect... and I saved $5... Just a small thank you to all of you."

You: "what you wrote has nothing to do about being Boglehead. It is the exact opposite."

[bold in original]

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:11 pm

DRiP Guy wrote:
hsv_climber wrote: I've never said that OP is 'wrong'.
OP:"Bogleheads, its your fault, you did this to me!... I have been in Bogle land for about a year, its funny how many things have changed in a year... I find myself looking at the price tags... I would typically buy the same American flavor sale or no sale.... I opted for the sale and saved the $5, even as I write this I’m still getting a chuckle out of it, one would think I just bought a new car for ½ the money.... Its one of the those little moments that clicks in your brain.. the beer was perfect... and I saved $5... Just a small thank you to all of you."

You: "what you wrote has nothing to do about being Boglehead. It is the exact opposite."

[bold in original]
Yes. And I'll repeat it again: What he did had nothing to do with being a Boglehead. It is the exact opposite. Boglehead books don't recommend to save money on experiences.
But it does not mean that what OP did was "wrong" and I've never said that. You came up with that term and used it to attack my post.

DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:30 pm

hsv_climber wrote: Yes. And I'll repeat it again: What he did had nothing to do with being a Boglehead. It is the exact opposite. Boglehead books don't recommend to save money on experiences.
But it does not mean that what OP did was "wrong" and I've never said that. You came up with that term and used it to attack my post.
I guess I could say "I did not attack your post!" and we could go a round or two over that word and it's nuances.... and then who gets to define what "Being a Boglehead" means....(it has to be defined in a book? Books YOU get to select?)

but instead, just how about:

Super -- you win!

Happy now?

(not worth buyin' *this* experience, I'll tell ya that!)

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:48 pm

DRiP Guy wrote: Happy now?
How about that? :beer

mortal

Post by mortal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:55 pm

As a rule I don't buy *any* booze at a restaurant or bar. I always drink at home. I once ordered a double Jim beam for nearly $12. Seriously? That's like $2 worth from the liquor store! I'd be perfectly fine with a reasonable markup, but that's ludicrous.

I usually drink pbr, which runs ~$8 12 pack. I recently bought a 12 pack of Newcastle for $16. Was it better? Yes. Was it over twice as good? Nah. Now, if it had been a Samuel Adams variety pack, we could talk. I like trying new beer.

My point is, with everything in life, I refuse to pay a prestige premium. Probably why I have a miata and not a porshe boxster.

ascenzm

Post by ascenzm » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:41 am

supersharpie wrote:I don't go cheap on alcohol. Good beer is still relatively cheap in comparison to good wine. I commonly spend $12.99 on a four pack of Founders Breakfast Stout, one of the Top 10 (IMO) beers in the world. For that same price I would only be able to afford an entry level Cabernet Sauvignon.
$12.99 for a four pack of Founders Breakfast Stout? You must live far from Michigan. PA has very high prices for beer not purchased by the case due to our laws, but I can buy Founders Breakfast Stout here for $11.99/four pack. It's worth every penny even at $12.99/four pack.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer. I recently spent $34 on a 750 ml bottle of Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout after winning the right to purchase this beer at my local six pack shop. I shared it with three friends. Expensive, Yes, but worth the cost.

Mike
Avatar is a Japanese Cherry tree in Washington, DC during the peak cherry blossom time.

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:43 am

ascenzm wrote:
supersharpie wrote:I don't go cheap on alcohol. Good beer is still relatively cheap in comparison to good wine. I commonly spend $12.99 on a four pack of Founders Breakfast Stout, one of the Top 10 (IMO) beers in the world. For that same price I would only be able to afford an entry level Cabernet Sauvignon.
$12.99 for a four pack of Founders Breakfast Stout? You must live far from Michigan. PA has very high prices for beer not purchased by the case due to our laws, but I can buy Founders Breakfast Stout here for $11.99/four pack. It's worth every penny even at $12.99/four pack.
I wasn't going to say anything, but when Breakfast Stout was back on the shelves (October?), the local FSE (Food Snob Emporium) was selling it at $9.99 for a 6-pack.

I was at the FSE earlier this week, and picked up a single of Breakfast stout for $3, as well as Double Trouble, another one of Founders' seasonal brews:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/34146

Founders is amazing. Just about everything they brew is best-in-class.