I splurged this weekend!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
nepats

I splurged this weekend!

Post by nepats » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:34 pm

I like to drive and I have a decent commute to work every day. I had been wanting these cars (Cayman S) for a while now, and I finally got it! No regrets. Yes, I will pay for it for a while but it makes me happy. I still invest the boglehead way and save regularly, and live below my means. Life is too short and unpredictable, so go enjoy your passions

maxinout

Re: I splurged this weekend!

Post by maxinout » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:43 pm

That is awesome.

If I had the guts to splurge on a car in that price range, it's exactly what I'd get.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:48 pm

I did the same. I temporarily retired from competing in triathlons, due to time constraints, as I have gotten very busy with work and completing my PhD. After having all my gear sit in my living room collecting dust, I sold all of it(including my bike) about a year ago. After thinking about it the last few months, Saturday I bought a new bike...$3500 worth, which is about 4 months of living expenses for me. I have had a very trying year(divorce) and I promised myself that if I could max my 403b and Roth contributions for the year, that I would treat myself. I met my goal. Still feel guilty about my indulgence.

Lee Saage

Post by Lee Saage » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:53 pm

In my view, you did not splurge. You made a a thoughtful purchase of a well-designed machine that provides both practical utility and enriches your soul. I want one. Someday.
Most of my money went to fast cars, fast living and good wine. The rest I just wasted.

nepats

Post by nepats » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Haha.. Agreed :)

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:03 pm

stoptothink wrote: Saturday I bought a new bike...$3500 wort

What did you buy?

DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Isn't this exactly what Bogleheadism is supposed to provide, the ability to earn more money for your own needs rather than someone else's? Better to pay rock bottom fees for index funds and drive a Porsche that pay 12B-1 fees and take the bus. Kudos from someone who pays rock bottom fees and takes the bus.
Me: 75/25 stocks/bonds | Son: 45/45/10 matchbox/hotwheels/thomas & friends

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:20 pm

Man...and I thought I splurged on a pair of used skis.

:)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:25 pm

hsv_climber wrote:
stoptothink wrote: Saturday I bought a new bike...$3500 wort

What did you buy?

http://www.rossettibike.com/bikes/pantera.html. Sram Red build with 60mm cabon clinchers. It's a no name Taiwanese frame, but I know of a few friends that have nothing but good things to say about their products. I guess it is sort of Bogleheadish as I could have easily spent twice as much on a similarly spec'd Felt, Cervelo, or Argon-18.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:29 pm

nepats wrote:Yes, I will pay for it for a while

That's bad...

but it makes me happy.

But that's good!

(Still, probably should have waited until you could pay cash for it)

nepats

Post by nepats » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:35 pm

I can pay for it in cash, but chose not to since 1.99% is almost like free money :)

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:44 pm

stoptothink wrote:http://www.rossettibike.com/bikes/pantera.html. Sram Red build with 60mm cabon clinchers. It's a no name Taiwanese frame, but I know of a few friends that have nothing but good things to say about their products. I guess it is sort of Bogleheadish as I could have easily spent twice as much on a similarly spec'd Felt, Cervelo, or Argon-18.

That is a cool looking bike. All frames are made in China / Taiwan these days, so I am not sure if it matters much anymore.

NYnative

Post by NYnative » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:51 pm

What?? And you passed up this baby :shock:

ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Sweet ride! Life is short, and if you are meeting your savings goals then you should be able to spend money in fun ways. :D
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Sweet! I picked up a spiffy new black and stainless Ruger SR40C this weekend and 100 rounds of cheap ammo. Can't wait to try it out. :D
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:07 pm

We'll definitely kick you off this board...

... but could I please have a ride first? :sharebeer

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:07 pm

Had to look for a picture review of your steed. Found this BBC youtube review of a 2010, I think.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppl4DFcRCPA Although the review was not perfect, I fell in love with it.
Wonderful fun.
Just be careful....don't go the 170 mph, please.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

norookie

Post by norookie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:21 pm

:D Keeping it pristine will help retain it's value. I'd suggest garaging or auto cover. Just saying, items of that caliber retain resale value by a paper file of maintenance, and looking like showroom quality. 8-) Good luck!
Last edited by norookie on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

camden

Post by camden » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:04 pm

Congratulations. Have a great time with it. Refreshing to know that there are still a few folks who like to drive sports coupes (and that is one fine sports coupe) instead of all the ugly trucks/vans/ SUVs that seem to be the rage nowadays. I never wanted to drive a bus myself..........

ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:22 pm

One quote from Ramit Sethi that I've always enjoyed is to, "spend extravagantly on the things you love by cutting costs mercilessly on the things you don't."
Mike Piper, author/blogger

rob

Post by rob » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:28 pm

What the h*ll you doing here posting.... Roads to drive, roads to drive - get out there and drive :D

One of the saddest things I have seen: I used to park in the same place week after week and there was a 911 that never moved... dust all over it, same spot time after time e.t.c. Someone wrote on the back "Please Drive Me" (instead of please wash me).
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:44 pm

rob wrote:What the h*ll you doing here posting.... Roads to drive, roads to drive - get out there and drive :D

What are you talking about? He just spend all his money to buy this car. He currently can't afford to fill it up. :roll:

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:58 pm

How foolish that is depends a lot on how much you make. Certainly there's no call to cut out all indulgences - hopefully it's not too significant, though.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:08 pm

0 to 60 in under 5 seconds? Holy hell. I simply have no frame of reference for that. Beautiful car.

Ryan
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

ElJay

Post by ElJay » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:10 pm

:thumbsup :thumbsup :D

c078342

Post by c078342 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:14 pm

Here us my splurge story: In 2004, we were looking to replace a car coming off a lease. At the time, we were thinking of retiring in a few years. (Hasn't happened yet.) I had a short list of candidates, Cadillac CTS (SO shot it down, "We are not Cadillac people"), RX8 ("You're not buying a Mazda"), Mazda Miata (Ditto). So we went on a Sunday to look at Mustangs (had a '65 convertible in college). It just so happened that the Ford dealer was next to a Porsche dealer. I drooled over the Boxsters in the lot. A few days later, SO says to me, "How much were you thinking of spending?" to which I replied "Mid 30's." She blew me away with the notion that for a few k$ more I could get a recent used Boxster. Well, it was little more than a few k$, but we got a great deal on a 2 year old Boxster S with 4,000 miles on it. Arctic silver with navy top and leather. I've only seen one other like it. It was bought to be a daily driver, but it didn't turn out that way. It was a certified garage queen from shortly after we bought it. Congratulations - you can't take it with you.

nepats

Post by nepats » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:54 pm

Yes, it's a great ride and lots of fun. The mid engine layout/balance and precision handling of this car are like no other I have driven in my life. I will enjoy it thoroughly, and perhaps pass it on to my daughter in 15 years! I buy cars to drive and not to baby... This will be a daily driver for me.

PS. I did buy it used, so the previous owners took the 50%+ depreciation. It has only 28k miles!

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:13 pm

ObliviousInvestor wrote:One quote from Ramit Sethi that I've always enjoyed is to, "spend extravagantly on the things you love by cutting costs mercilessly on the things you don't."

That quote is pretty much one of the "commandments" that I live by.

c078342

Post by c078342 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:12 pm

I don't really feel like I baby my car, I feel like I am being prudently protective of my investment. I drive my wife daily into the middle of Hartford, and I don't trust the locals to follow the traffic laws. The Boxster never sees Hartford streets. A lower mileage car will always have a higher value than a higher, all other things equal. I do all services at Hoffman Porsche and have complete records. It is important to me to keep this car with a full Porsche pedigree. Are you good with $200 to $300 (10 quarts of Mobil One) oil changes and a new set of tires every 20,000 miles or so at around $1,500 over 15 years? I know Porsche owners who only want the cache of ownership with no appreciation of the marque and also those who understand the marque ("There is no substitute). You sound like you might be in the former. I would love to drive my car more, but I won't expose it to unnecessary risks and expenses. If you see a silver Boxster with a navy top at Lime Rock, it is probably me.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:18 pm

c078342 wrote:I don't really feel like I baby my car, I feel like I am being prudently protective of my investment. I drive my wife daily into the middle of Hartford, and I don't trust the locals to follow the traffic laws. The Boxster never sees Hartford streets. A lower mileage car will always have a higher value than a higher, all other things equal. I do all services at Hoffman Porsche and have complete records. It is important to me to keep this car with a full Porsche pedigree. Are you good with $200 to $300 (10 quarts of Mobil One) oil changes and a new set of tires every 20,000 miles or so at around $1,500 over 15 years? I know Porsche owners who only want the cache of ownership with no appreciation of the marque and also those who understand the marque ("There is no substitute). You sound like you might be in the former. I would love to drive my car more, but I won't expose it to unnecessary risks and expenses. If you see a silver Boxster with a navy top at Lime Rock, it is probably me.

A modern car's not an investment - especially a mass produced, albeit very nice one, like the boxster. Best to drive it and enjoy it imo.

nepats

Post by nepats » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi c078342,

I didn't mean to imply that you baby your car.. I was just saying that I view cars not as an investments, so I Iike to drive them. Although, Porsche's certainly tend to hold their values, especially as you said the low mileage, well loved and documented ones! I am particular about my cars and always maintain them. I learnt to do basic maintainence my self like oil changes, break/coolant flushes, and brakes etc. it saves money, and i feel that I am more "connected" to my car. In my experience, these cars don't have lot of problems if one takes care of them.

tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:45 pm

<jealous> :D Congrats nepat! :sharebeer
It's Good To Be A Boglehead

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:50 pm

nepats wrote:Yes, it's a great ride and lots of fun. The mid engine layout/balance and precision handling of this car are like no other I have driven in my life. I will enjoy it thoroughly, and perhaps pass it on to my daughter in 15 years! I buy cars to drive and not to baby... This will be a daily driver for me.

FYI - Don't give it to your daughter... She'll never appreciate it...

Kid's first car, no matter how rich you are, should always be a piece of junk...Otherwise they'll never appreciate the nice cars they earn later on in life :)
Last edited by HomerJ on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:51 pm

nepats wrote:I can pay for it in cash, but chose not to since 1.99% is almost like free money :)

Ah, then it's all good! Enjoy the ride!

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:01 pm

It's all good as long as you didn't sacrifice some needed retirement savings for it.

Good pick - enjoy!

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:01 pm

lightheir wrote:It's all good as long as you didn't sacrifice some needed retirement savings for it.

Good pick - enjoy!

Right. I wouldn't do it till I was FI.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:07 pm

rrosenkoetter wrote:
nepats wrote:Yes, it's a great ride and lots of fun. The mid engine layout/balance and precision handling of this car are like no other I have driven in my life. I will enjoy it thoroughly, and perhaps pass it on to my daughter in 15 years! I buy cars to drive and not to baby... This will be a daily driver for me.

Kid's first car, no matter how rich you are, should always be a piece of junk...Otherwise they'll never appreciate the nice cars they earn later on in life :)

True - my daughters first was a '94 E Class - older but still sweet - spoiled the brat for life - (although she is now a fine woman - but picky about cars)

natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:09 pm

I feel sorry for you.

RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:57 am

I bought a brand new Mercedes CLK 320 convertible (black/black) in December 2000. After now 11 years in just a month plus and 170,000 miles, I still say I've enjoyed every minute of it. When the top's down and we're driving through Napa wine country or 17 Mile Drive in Monterey, there's just no nicer feeling.

And in true Boglehead fashion, with cash being cash (how I bought it), my $50,000 MBZ versus a V6 Honda at $25,000 cost me $2500 a year more over ten years. That was a cheap premium to pay then and it's still cheap now.

Enjoy your car every day that you own it.

Well done!!!

RTR

nepats

Post by nepats » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:40 am

hicabob wrote:
rrosenkoetter wrote:

True - my daughters first was a '94 E Class - older but still sweet - spoiled the brat for life - (although she is now a fine woman - but picky about cars)

That's exactly why you give them nice cars :)

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 am

Beautiful! I love Porsche even though I barely fit!
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

Dan-Fl

Post by Dan-Fl » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:23 am

Good luck, enjoy, be careful. I bought a 944 when they had just come out.
Dan

jasonlitka

Post by jasonlitka » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:18 am

nepats wrote:I can pay for it in cash, but chose not to since 1.99% is almost like free money :)

That's the same situation I'm in. Wife needs a new car and we're looking at an Audi A4. They've got 1.99% right now so I'm going to finance 60-70% rather than pay cash.
Jason Litka

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:36 am

jasonlitka wrote:

That's the same situation I'm in. Wife needs a new car and we're looking at an Audi A4. They've got 1.99% right now so I'm going to finance 60-70% rather than pay cash.

Ditto. We got a PenFed 1.99% locked in, and then the dealer is giving us a 1.9% loan for a 2012 Range Rover Supercharged. We no longer find sports cars suitable for us (my wife is trading in her Audi TT, which with the rear seats folded down could hold one hockey bag, but not two under any circumstances).

Not only is the loan almost free money, but we'll probably pay it off when the annual bonus vests. I just don't want to sell taxable funds and lock in equity losses, nor reduce bond allocation. Better to pay 1.9% interest for a few months (and there is no pre-payment penalty).

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:05 am

Claude wrote:1.9% loan for a 2012 Range Rover Supercharged.

That's quite the car!

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:19 am

XtremeSki2001 wrote:

That's quite the car!

I'm not usually a car guy, but my wife likes them. She bought a normally aspirated 2007 Range Rover, which I drive, and whose power I find adequate. I wanted her out of the TT, which is impractical and attracts being bumped into (it seems to fit very well into other drivers' blind spots). She was accustomed to the acceleration of the TT, and wasn't happy about alternatives, until she got into the Supercharged. It is stunning how quickly it accelerates and how quickly it brakes (large Brembos), plus being very comfortable in the process. It seats 4 comfortably (5 in a pinch), and can take a good number of hockey bags :)

BTW, on a car sales side note: it might have been a Cayenne, but even after 3 pointed warnings from me that it was my wife buying the car, the salesman persisted in selling to me rather than my wife. Old school. To top that off, when my wife asked to test drive the Turbo Cayenne, he said "we're not going to be racing this car, are we, no need to test drive it." Dummy; you thought you were appealing to my wallet, but you just flapped your gums out of a sale.

touchdowntodd

Post by touchdowntodd » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:37 am

nothing wrong with it because the rest of your life is in line :wink:

i personally like classics more for "fun" cars, but only because of the holding value factor ...

that being said, id LOVE to drive that once ... ill never be able to swing one, even when that model is destined for the crusher
tryin to do this right... thanks guys

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:48 am

Claude wrote:
XtremeSki2001 wrote:

That's quite the car!

I'm not usually a car guy, but my wife likes them. She bought a normally aspirated 2007 Range Rover, which I drive, and whose power I find adequate. I wanted her out of the TT, which is impractical and attracts being bumped into (it seems to fit very well into other drivers' blind spots). She was accustomed to the acceleration of the TT, and wasn't happy about alternatives, until she got into the Supercharged. It is stunning how quickly it accelerates and how quickly it brakes (large Brembos), plus being very comfortable in the process. It seats 4 comfortably (5 in a pinch), and can take a good number of hockey bags :)

BTW, on a car sales side note: it might have been a Cayenne, but even after 3 pointed warnings from me that it was my wife buying the car, the salesman persisted in selling to me rather than my wife. Old school. To top that off, when my wife asked to test drive the Turbo Cayenne, he said "we're not going to be racing this car, are we, no need to test drive it." Dummy; you thought you were appealing to my wallet, but you just flapped your gums out of a sale.

Did you look into the Panamera S? Beautiful car and the same price range as the SC Range Rover. Sounds like you were looking for strictly SUVs, but just thought I'd add it.

Shame the car salesman was being a dbag, but at least you walked away!

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:49 am

rrosenkoetter wrote:

Funny. I'm shopping for a car right now (long story) and this weekend after ruling out Toyotas once and for all, the Toyota salesman talked me into test driving a used Mercedes c230 ("baby benz"). Excellent condition, low miles, price in the right range, a serious step up from anything I've ever driven. But all I could think of was the hand-me-down potential. It's hard enough to raise children in an affluent suburb; do I really want my son's first car to be a 10 year old Mercedes?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:09 pm

XtremeSki2001 wrote:Did you look into the Panamera S? Beautiful car and the same price range as the SC Range Rover. Sounds like you were looking for strictly SUVs, but just thought I'd add it.

We briefly looked at the Panamera; in fact my daughter had her heart set on it. OTOH, I doubt my daughter would have been happy sitting in the rear seat. It's not a bad rear seat, but nothing compared to the RR's. Also, if you load it to the RR SC level, it quickly becomes 50% more expensive. In general, I found the Porsche SUV and Panamera to be almost inexpensive (well, reasonable anyway), unless you wanted anything (air suspension, turbo, better brakes, etc.). Options are incredibly expensive.

This will be our 4th RR. It is a car that I originally disliked, and have come to really appreciate over time. My current RR (normally aspirated) has 65k miles on it, and after a long trip, I remind my wife that I love the car more every day (just like my feelings for my wife :) ).