Need help with Vista E-mail System

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
netsak

Need help with Vista E-mail System

Post by netsak » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:14 pm

Our new computer came with MS Vista. We are new to Vista. The mail system has changed from Outlook Express to Windows Mail. We had to key in the Address Book data and they end up being sorted alpha by first name. They were by last name in Outlook Express.. Can someone give me instructions to get them back to sorted by last name? I see no option that lets me do that. Help!!!

netsak

rwwoods

Post by rwwoods » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:58 pm

If you don't get an answer here, try posting at http://www.annoyances.org/

stratton

Post by stratton » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:02 pm

Outlook Express has a way to export the address book.

1. Start Outlook Express
2. File.Export... menu
3. "Address Book" will show up in a little pop out menu.

Paul

Topic Author
netsak

Post by netsak » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:22 pm

rwwoods ... Thanks for the link. They are too busy now. Will try later.

Paul ............I already have the addresses in the book in Windows Mail (Vista). I want to get them arranged alpha by last name. They now show as alpha by first name.

netsak

stratton

Post by stratton » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:01 pm

netsak wrote:rwwoods ... Thanks for the link. They are too busy now. Will try later.

Paul ............I already have the addresses in the book in Windows Mail (Vista). I want to get them arranged alpha by last name. They now show as alpha by first name.

netsak
Gee, I can't read sometimes. :oops:

I don't have Vista, but most of this works the same way. Try pressing the little box at the top of the column (if there is one) that says "last name" on it. Another option to try is maybe a "tools.options..." menu entry to get into the custimization settings. There also might be a setting under "view" for the address book. For example, Outlook Express has a menu "View.Sort By..." and you can set/check it "last name", "first name" etc.

Paul

Paul

earlyout

Re: Need help with Vista E-mail System

Post by earlyout » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:26 pm

netsak wrote:Our new computer came with MS Vista. We are new to Vista. The mail system has changed from Outlook Express to Windows Mail. We had to key in the Address Book data and they end up being sorted alpha by first name. They were by last name in Outlook Express.. Can someone give me instructions to get them back to sorted by last name? I see no option that lets me do that. Help!!!

netsak
I use Outlook w/ Vista but I looked at Windows Mail and to do what you want, you will have to open (edit) each contact.

Start with the "Contacts" icon in the Windows Mail toobar, select a contact, and then click on edit. In the middle of the edit window is an entry box which lists the complete name (first, middle and last) of the contact. The entry box has a down arrow on the right side. Click on the arrow and select the entry which has the last name first. This should change the default entry to what you want. Of course you will have to do this for each contact.

Good luck.

EO

chipmunk

Post by chipmunk » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:50 pm

I have been using Microsoft Windows Vista Home Professional and Microsoft Office Vista Professional (VERY expensive, yikes, but had to have it for my new business) for several months now, and I'm starting to like it more and more, although it is still really XP with a fancy user interface (apparently, Microsoft incorporated a lot of the old third-party XP add-on's).

If you purchase Microsoft Office Standard (or higher version, they got WAY too many verisons) for Vista, you get Outlook. If you upgrade to Office Small Business Edition (or higher version) for Vista, you get Outlook with Business Contact Manager. Check out Microsoft's Office for Vista comparison chart. Bottom line is that you can get Outlook with a relatively inexpensive version of Office, so there is no need to convert.

Dan
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

MERobison

Post by MERobison » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:33 pm

My recommendation is to use Thunderbird. It is free. It is a step up from MS Outlook Express, though not all the features of MS Outlook. So, if you were using Outlook Express, it is a nice free upgrade and don't have to deal with MS.

Topic Author
netsak

Post by netsak » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:34 pm

earlyout .... The mehod you described works fine for me. My question is answered fully. Thanj you very much.

netsak

CyberBob

Re: Need help with Vista E-mail System

Post by CyberBob » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:13 am

netsak wrote:Can someone give me instructions to get them back to sorted by last name?
Right-click anywhere in the Contacts folder, select 'Sort By', click 'More' and tick the box 'Last Name'. When the dialogue box is closed, right click again and select 'Sort By' and ensure that the radio button is next to 'Last name'.

Bob

Topic Author
netsak

Post by netsak » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:44 pm

Bob ... You are right on. It worked like a charm. Thank you.

netsak

earlyout

Post by earlyout » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:21 pm

Bob,

Thanks for posting the easy way do accomplish this task. I thought there must be a simple way to do it but I could not find it.

EO

jiclemens

go with Windows Live Mail Desktop

Post by jiclemens » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:59 pm

That is the actual replacement for Outlook Express and it is a SUBSTANTIAL improvement.