Anyone here own a safe?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
thechoson

Anyone here own a safe?

Post by thechoson » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:36 pm

I was considering getting one of those smaller safes for things like jewelry, cash, important documents, etc.

But I wonder how secure one of these things would be. Seems like it would just draw attention, and a robber could easily just carry the entire safe out and deal with opening it later.

I can see how those huge $1000 safes would be safe, but that's beyond my budget and would be overkill anyways.

I was thinking of one of those $150 smaller safes. But considering the concern I have above, is it better just hiding stuff around the house instead?

WorkToLive

Post by WorkToLive » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:42 pm

One of the main advantages of a safe is that it (can be) fireproof.

norm

Post by norm » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:43 pm

We have a decent sized, very heavy safe.

Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:54 pm

I have three in the house.

The primary one is a combination safe embedded in a concrete floor and would take a jackhammer to remove. It holds my emergency cash and a few other valuables I choose not to place in the bank safety deposit box.

The secondary one is a key lock wall safe installed between studs and secured to the studs. It holds the downstairs pistol and a few items that would be difficult and moderately expensive, but not impossible, to replace. It resides behind a picture.

The last is a portable notebook size Gun Vault that holds the upstairs pistol, a powerful flashlight, and an extra speed strip of .357 mag. It resides in my bottom dresser drawer and can be secured with a cable should I choose.

I've selected safes because of the firearms, but there are other concealment alternatives for just stashing a few items.

None of the safes are very large, the floor safe is the largest.

John Bailout

Post by John Bailout » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:55 pm

I am actually in the market for a safe and am unhappy with what I have found so far. The typical Sentry safes you see at Home Depot and other mass market vendors appear to be very low quality (i.e. don't work well). Ordering online is not appealling, plus most sites have unclear data, crappy photos (not easy to find the "right" safe).

And the only local specialty store that apparently has a good selection of safes (very large city) only is open Mo-Fri for a small period of time during the middle of the day (i.e. impossible for me to get there during biz hours. Annoying.

Any way - here is what I am looking for:
  • Cost < $1k
    Too heavy to be carried away easily (which makes DIY installation non trivial)
    Can be bolted to floor
    Digital lock
    Fire safe better or equal to Class 350
    Decent security - UL C-rating? or TL-15? Something that doesn't cause Joe Burglar to chuckle but to swear instead.
    Not too huge (fits comfortably in a closet)
Ideas anyone?

Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:00 pm

re-think the digital lock. They can and do malfunction.

Zippy01

Post by Zippy01 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:19 pm

John B., I'd call the store and explain your situation. I'd be very surprised someone wouldn't meet you there at a convenient time.

Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:52 pm

Hawkeye5 wrote:I have three in the house.

The primary one is a combination safe embedded in a concrete floor and would take a jackhammer to remove. It holds my emergency cash and a few other valuables I choose not to place in the bank safety deposit box.

The secondary one is a key lock wall safe installed between studs and secured to the studs. It holds the downstairs pistol and a few items that would be difficult and moderately expensive, but not impossible, to replace. It resides behind a picture.

The last is a portable notebook size Gun Vault that holds the upstairs pistol, a powerful flashlight, and an extra speed strip of .357 mag. It resides in my bottom dresser drawer and can be secured with a cable should I choose.

I've selected safes because of the firearms, but there are other concealment alternatives for just stashing a few items.

None of the safes are very large, the floor safe is the largest.
:shock: This answer is made of awesome.

It reminds me of a less-awesome solution a friend of mine went for: he decided it would be a good idea to have guns accessible and hidden around the house, so he put them behind thinned-out areas of drywall so he could punch through (knowing where they are) in case of emergency. A few years after I pointed out to him that he has no idea what condition they are in back there - sawdust could be a problem, moisture, who knows? They are still in there as far as I know, but whether they will work if needed ....
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

chaz

Post by chaz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:06 pm

Get a heavy safe.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:28 pm

HEAVY, BOLTED OR SUNK INTO CONCRETE, FIREPROOF.

LynnC

aja8888

Post by aja8888 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:32 pm

A friend gave us a small Sentry safe with no key (it was locked, but empty). I opened it with our USPS mailbox key in 5 seconds. Nice... :roll:

Beantown85

Post by Beantown85 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:50 pm

I have lots and lots of little safes all around the house. That way, they don't know which ones to take and/or break into.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:59 pm

If you are truly wealthy, one should also consider a "panic room". It's another nice place to put a safe. One of my friends has this setup.

RM

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Random Musings wrote:If you are truly wealthy, one should also consider a "panic room". It's another nice place to put a safe. One of my friends has this setup.

RM
Really? Like in the movie or a bomb shelter people had back in the day?

LynnC

jpark1982

Post by jpark1982 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:06 pm

I keep a small safe with some cash in it that's worked well for me in conjuction with most of my paperwork being in a safe deposit box at my local bank.

RJB

Re: Anyone here own a safe?

Post by RJB » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:38 pm

thechoson wrote:I was considering getting one of those smaller safes for things like jewelry, cash, important documents, etc.

But I wonder how secure one of these things would be. Seems like it would just draw attention, and a robber could easily just carry the entire safe out and deal with opening it later.

I can see how those huge $1000 safes would be safe, but that's beyond my budget and would be overkill anyways.

I was thinking of one of those $150 smaller safes. But considering the concern I have above, is it better just hiding stuff around the house instead?
Why not just get a safety deposit box at a financial institution?

thechoson

Post by thechoson » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:23 pm

RJB wrote:
thechoson wrote:I was considering getting one of those smaller safes for things like jewelry, cash, important documents, etc.

For some reason, never really considered it. Mind giving me an idea how much it would cost to maintain a box at a bank?

skatterZ

Post by skatterZ » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Most small safes can be bolted to the floor though the bottom of the safe.
Weight is also a great, but if you can move it so can they.
A safe of any size is safe if no one knows it is there.
For small safes I have taken a box big enough to cover it and cut out the bottom, put a rag in it and fold over the four top sides. Looks like a box of clothes.
Don't brag about it or tell your friends when you do get one.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:28 pm

yes. I use it for fireproof, not valuables, except for passports. Real valuables go into the bank safety deposit boxes.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:51 pm

It would be very difficult for any robber to carry away even a small safe. Those things weigh a ton (not literally, but maybe some do!)

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:04 pm

norm wrote:We have a decent sized, very heavy safe.
And where is this safe kept at? lol All the criminal minds want to know about you safe lovers.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:06 pm

LynnC wrote:
Random Musings wrote:If you are truly wealthy, one should also consider a "panic room". It's another nice place to put a safe. One of my friends has this setup.

RM
Really? Like in the movie or a bomb shelter people had back in the day?

LynnC

With outside ventilation like in the dirty dozen?
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:06 pm

RJB wrote:

Wow, now that's a great ideal, and it's what we do.

dgdevil

Post by dgdevil » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:25 pm

RJB wrote:

Not always a good idea - have you seen the Ben Kingsley masterpiece Sexy Beast?

flowerbuyer

Post by flowerbuyer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:57 pm

We have a combination-lock safe, commercial, that we bought for less than $200 from a store that was going out of business. It's located in the very back of the closet under a stairway. One would have to use a heavy-duty hand truck to move it.

beyou

Post by beyou » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Sentry is good enough to protect important papers from water and fire damage, but not from thieves. You'd need a much more expensive solution if that's your concern. I just use to protect passports, old tax returns etc, stuff that would be inconvienient to replace.
Recovered day trader.

ilskeptic

Department of redundancy department

Post by ilskeptic » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:59 pm

I think there are arguments for both a home safe and a bank safe-deposit box, and I have both.

I didn't get the cheapest home safe around, but it was close. I use it mainly as fire protection. It's heat-resistant up to X degrees for Y period of time (I forget the exact specs), and it's also -- and this is important -- water-resistant, so the water firefighters presumably dump on your burning abode doesn't itself do damage to the safe's contents. And, as the instructions suggested, I keep it on a shelf in the basement, so it avoids the worst of rising heat. Plus, it's inconspicuous there, if not exactly hidden.

What I've got in there: A few documents I like to have handy (Social Security cards, birth certificates), my backup credit card, some family photos and videos. Also a USB key that holds encrypted copies of: my important passwords; my most recent tax return (so I can easily look up this year's AGI as my PIN number when I'm doing next year's return); and a digital copy of The Big Note to the DW and kids in case I kick the bucket or suffer sudden dementia. I don't want to have to trek to the bank if I want to change any of those or if my computer hard drive dies. Our current passports also are there, tho I'm rethinking that as I write this. And there's also $100 cash, just because.

Other than the passports, I would be inconvenienced but not panicked if a thief took the whole thing.

The bank box has another USB key with basically the same info, plus a second USB key that holds a boatload of family photos and digital copies of a lot of other paperwork I don't think I need to get at quickly.

The bank box also contains a lot of paper documents that are useful only if they're originals -- signed wills, living wills and health-care powers of attorney, mortgage paperwork, car titles, etc. -- and heirloom documents related to our families.

There's also a paper copy of The Big Note, marked "read this first" (the DW and kids know this and have access to the box). I also keep some semi-collectible coins there, along with my wife's better jewelry. Plus, I keep one key to the home safe in the bank box -- would be kinda dumb if both home-safe keys melted in a fire, while the safe itself was unharmed.

Box rental is something like $50 a year.

Sorry, didn't mean to run so long, but that's my approach. YMMV.

teh_engr

Re: Department of redundancy department

Post by teh_engr » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:39 pm

ilskeptic wrote:I use it mainly as fire protection. It's heat-resistant up to X degrees for Y period of time (I forget the exact specs), and it's also -- and this is important -- water-resistant, so the water firefighters presumably dump on your burning abode doesn't itself do damage to the safe's contents.
Just curious, is the safe actually rated to be waterproof after being exposed to heat? For example, does it have any seals which would be damaged by heat allowing water to enter?

Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:01 am

John Bailout wrote:I am actually in the market for a safe and am unhappy with what I have found so far. The typical Sentry safes you see at Home Depot and other mass market vendors appear to be very low quality (i.e. don't work well). Ordering online is not appealling, plus most sites have unclear data, crappy photos (not easy to find the "right" safe).

And the only local specialty store that apparently has a good selection of safes (very large city) only is open Mo-Fri for a small period of time during the middle of the day (i.e. impossible for me to get there during biz hours. Annoying.

• Cost < $1k

ps.
    Can be bolted to floor
    Digital lock
    Decent security - UL C-rating? or TL-15? Something that doesn't cause Joe Burglar to chuckle but to swear instead.
Ideas anyone?
My requirements are similar to your and I am seriously considering the Gardall FB-1212 (http://www.gardall.com/area-safes-safe-ul_1hr.htm.htm). There's a security store in my town that sells it for $655. This store also has many examples of inexpensive safes that they broke into in a few minutes - including the old Sentry that we currently have in the house.

For my second home, I just purchased a Gardall H2 compact utility safe (http://www.authoritysafes.com/security- ... el-h2.html) to help protect against burglary. It has no fire protection and basically serves as a home safe deposit box for my wife's jewelry. It is bolted to the floor. We have been satisfied with it. It feels well made.

EDIT:
On the other hand, there appear to be many inexpensive safes that are easy to crack judging by the videos on YouTube, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11JgZPYbyTs or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGA4P-Ma ... re=related
Last edited by Ozonewanderer on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhizKid

Post by WhizKid » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:22 am

RJB wrote:

I had a former neighbor who left $30k in his safe deposit box at the local bank. One day he went to open it and it was all gone. The bank did not take any responsibility for the loss ( how's the bank supposed to know what you have in there? ) Also, ( not to appeal to the criminally minded ) the IRS has convenient access to your box anytime and could "freeze" or confiscate the items contained within. A well thought out location for a high quality safe seems to be a better alternative.

WhizKid

Post by WhizKid » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:28 am

Hawkeye5 wrote:re-think the digital lock. They can and do malfunction.
+1

What if your house is in a flood and the safe happens to get water damaged? Would the digital lock work? I'd stick with the old fashioned combination lock.

Tiekoon

Post by Tiekoon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:57 am

You might want to consider an old or antique merchant type safe. Try a safe company, ebay or Craig’s List for reasonable value.

Many years ago I was looking into floor safes for a new house we were building. Went to a large safe shop, lots to choose from and wouldn’t you know the wife fell in love with this old turn of the century merchant/small bank safe. Similar to this one now listed on ebay [url]
http://tinyurl.com/3e9tvee[/url], only mine is on six inch iron wheels, so it’s off the carpet. Exterior was repainted, new decorative decals and entry combination code programed to my choice.

This big roomy safe has served the intended purpose well for years now. It’s been a fixture in the family room and great compliment to the pool table and other furnishing. At somewhere over two tons, it takes a hefty pallet jack and 1 inch plywood runner to move. So, I’m not worried about anyone packing off with it anytime soon. Good luck to you.

Jack

jazzykat

Post by jazzykat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:38 am

RJB wrote:
For most things I think that is probably the best option, but for stuff you don't want to have to go to the bank every time you want to get it a safe might make sense.

Also, I don't think you are allowed to put a gun in a safe deposit box even if you are Jason Bourne.

crefwatch

Fire Safe

Post by crefwatch » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:35 am

I don't have personal experience, but I have read that inexpensive fire safes, in general, protect their contents by having moist insulation. Water has such a high Specific Heat that changing it into steam prevents the temperature from climbing high enough to burn paper (that is, over the period of time for which the safe is "rated"). But thinking of such a safe as "waterproof" (whether the door seal is watertight or not) may be unwise. It may get very damp in there during a fire.

I have two small fire safes, but I don't think of them as burglar safes at all. Indeed, I worry that they may look like they hold valuables. So the second one is key-operated, and the key is attached with a chain to the exterior. On the other hand, I don't need to protect my castle by hiding a gun on each floor of the house.

ilskeptic

Post by ilskeptic » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:42 am

Just curious, is the safe actually rated to be waterproof after being exposed to heat? For example, does it have any seals which would be damaged by heat allowing water to enter?
Somewhere -- not in my safe -- I probably have the specs for the thing. But, as I recall, one reason I didn't get the cheapest safe is that this one supposedly would protect against water used to put out the fire. As I recall.
I don't have personal experience, but I have read that inexpensive fire safes, in general, protect their contents by having moist insulation.

Sheesh, I have no idea.
On the other hand, I don't need to protect my castle by hiding a gun on each floor of the house.
What he said.

snowbound

Post by snowbound » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:47 am

John Bailout wrote:I am actually in the market for a safe and am unhappy with what I have found so far. The typical Sentry safes you see at Home Depot and other mass market vendors appear to be very low quality (i.e. don't work well). Ordering online is not appealling, plus most sites have unclear data, crappy photos (not easy to find the "right" safe).

• Cost < $1k
    Can be bolted to floor
    Digital lock
Ideas anyone?
I live in a small city and use to purchase safe's for the company I worked for. I am surprised that you can only find one vendor to deal with. Did you check with a locksmith?
"When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure"

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:53 am

If you go with a single safe, buy one much larger than you originally think you need. You and/or wife/significant other will be surprised at what you will want to secure once you have a safe in your house. Check out Dick's sporting goods.

LH

Post by LH » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 am

flowerbuyer wrote:We have a combination-lock safe, commercial, that we bought for less than $200 from a store that was going out of business. It's located in the very back of the closet under a stairway. One would have to use a heavy-duty hand truck to move it.
how about just a two by four and rope, and two people? two by four, roped to the top of the safe. Thats how I moved a semi-heavy safe, which we do not use, from my fathers house, to my house.

BruceM

Post by BruceM » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:05 am

We got an in-wall safe and put it in an inconspicuous place under the stairwell, but still easily reachable. But unless the burgler knows where it is, it'll require some looking to find it, and its in a tight enough area that a long crowbar won't fit in the space.

You need some construction skills to install such a safe correctly.

Another thing you need to think about is who will have access if you and spouse should suddently bite the big one. DW and I wrote the combination and safe contents down, put it in a sealed envelope without our name, gave to oldest daughter who keeps it in her safe deposit box.

BruceM

norookie

Post by norookie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:17 am

:D I'd add if you live in a big city theres always someone on CL giving one away in the free section. If you can monitor it for 4-6months you'll find one there for free. The older (20yrs) Sentry dial isafes are better than the new ones IMO.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

RJB

Post by RJB » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:18 am

thechoson wrote: For some reason, never really considered it. Mind giving me an idea how much it would cost to maintain a box at a bank?
The best pricing that I have found is free. That is one of the benefits of having a Wells Fargo PMA Account.

I suggest that you call your local financial institutions to find out about your pricing.

Abe

Post by Abe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:38 am

I used to buy produce from an elderly man. He would go to the produce market long before daylight and then run his route all day. He was hard working, a good business man and very frugal. I asked him one day why he didn't retire. He said that he had saved his money all his life but didn't trust banks. He said that he had saved $750,000.00 and had it in a safe in his home where he thought no one could find it. Thieves broke in a got every penny.

Thieves broke in my home. They thought I had cash there, but I didn't. Everything in my house was dumped in the floor. They knocked holes in the walls looking for money. The mattresses on the beds were turned upside down. They even went up in the attic which was not an easy thing to do. My home was a disaster.

Do not underestimate thieves. If you have valuables, they will find them. If you have a safe, they will get in it or take the safe. I have seen them take safes that no one would believe they could move, but they did. The best thing you can do it not keep anything that you don't want stolen in your home.

4strings

Post by 4strings » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Abe wrote:I used to buy produce from an elderly man. He would go to the produce market long before daylight and then run his route all day. He was hard working, a good business man and very frugal. I asked him one day why he didn't retire. He said that he had saved his money all his life but didn't trust banks. He said that he had saved $750,000.00 and had it in a safe in his home where he thought no one could find it. Thieves broke in a got every penny.

Thieves broke in my home. They thought I had cash there, but I didn't. Everything in my house was dumped in the floor. They knocked holes in the walls looking for money. The mattresses on the beds were turned upside down. They even went up in the attic which was not an easy thing to do. My home was a disaster.

Do not underestimate thieves. If you have valuables, they will find them. If you have a safe, they will get in it or take the safe. I have seen them take safes that no one would believe they could move, but they did. The best thing you can do it not keep anything that you don't want stolen in your home.
wow, that is a crazy story :shock:

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:52 pm

• Cost < $1k
    Can be bolted to floor
    Digital lock
Ideas anyone?
I have one in a closet - it's heavy enough that unless you do some serious lifting you will have great difficulty in making it down more than a few steps - that is if you have enough time find it.

It's fire rated for 3 hours.

Non-digital combo and key lock.

Cost a tad bit under $1K - have had it about 7 years.

I am not using it to hold my guns - I need quick accessibility if it ever comes down to that.

og15F1

Post by og15F1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:53 pm

I have 4

Mostly for fire/water protection

I use some of them instead of filing cabinets

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Abe wrote:I used to buy produce from an elderly man. He would go to the produce market long before daylight and then run his route all day. He was hard working, a good business man and very frugal. I asked him one day why he didn't retire. He said that he had saved his money all his life but didn't trust banks. He said that he had saved $750,000.00 and had it in a safe in his home where he thought no one could find it. Thieves broke in a got every penny.

You raise a good point. I would be interested to know if anybody here has ever been broken into while they had a safe, and if it protected against theft...

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:06 pm

RJB wrote:
thechoson wrote: For some reason, never really considered it. Mind giving me an idea how much it would cost to maintain a box at a bank?
The best pricing that I have found is free. That is one of the benefits of having a Wells Fargo PMA Account.

I suggest that you call your local financial institutions to find out about your pricing.
I think it is usually $25 per year or free, if you maintain a certain amount in either checking or savings.

Check with your bank or CU, as they are all different. They are not always easily available as many people keep the same one for years.

LynnC

bodan

Post by bodan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:10 pm

I have found that careful alterations to your house to create cavities in the structure itself is very effective. As an added deterrent, purchase a safe and place some items of obvious value (but not too much, such as sterling jewelry or some good costume jewelry). When thieves hold you at gunpoint, take them to the safe and let them have the contents. Meanwhile the good stuff is in the walls.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:21 pm

bodan wrote:I have found that careful alterations to your house to create cavities in the structure itself is very effective. As an added deterrent, purchase a safe and place some items of obvious value (but not too much, such as sterling jewelry or some good costume jewelry). When thieves hold you at gunpoint, take them to the safe and let them have the contents. Meanwhile the good stuff is in the walls.
Just remember where the cavity is. I once owned a house that was built around 1900. While doing some work on a chair rail/wainscoting a panel popped open and revealed a small stash of whiskey and other partially consumed bottles dating back to prohibition. Examining the panel, it became obvious that it required pressure at two points to release the panel and there was a spring that made the panel pop open when the two pressure points were pressed simultaneously. Someone probably put it there and forgot it when they sold the house.

Also, don't forget that one of the things thieves do is go in with a metal detector and target high value items such as silver and try to get in and out in as short a time as possible. The smart ones don't go in when there are people in the house - too dangerous.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

nhdblfan

Post by nhdblfan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Have large gun safe and been shopping for a second,there are some very good ones out there that they can not get open and will not be able to take.

Check out these,one f the best !

http://www.graffundersafes.com/why.html

Next house will have a vault room,been in two-both with large gun collections and thats the way to go.