How many games will Borowski blow in the ALCS?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

How many games will Joe Borowski lose for the Indians vs. the BoSox?

a) zero
22%
a) zero
22%
b) one
11%
c) two
22%
c) two
22%

Total votes: 18

Topic Author
woof755

How many games will Borowski blow in the ALCS?

Post by woof755 »

I'm a huge Indians fan...and a Rafael Betancourt fan. I think Borowski is going to hurt the Tribe.

What do you think?
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process »

I'm ashamed to admit I'm not familiar with this guy...I haven't followed the Indians since Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez. would you say this team is better than those?
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Are they still playing baseball?
Gordon
Soaker

Borowski and the Indians

Post by Soaker »

Opponent Process wrote:I'm ashamed to admit I'm not familiar with this guy...I haven't followed the Indians since Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez. would you say this team is better than those?
Comparing the 1997 Indians with the 2007 Indians, we see that the 1997 club was an offensive force that the 2007 club cannot equal, but that the pitching on the 2007 club is much better.

The 1997 Indians had three players (Thome, Williams and Justice) with at least 30 HR and 100 RBI, and the team OPS was .814. The 2007 club is led by Victor Martinez with 25 HR, only Martinez and Hafner exceeded 78 RBI, and the team OPS is .771.

The 2007 Indians staff is led by C.C. Sabathia and Fausto Carmona, two of the leading candidates for AL Cy Young, who each won 19 games. The 1997 staff featured Charles Nagy and Orel Hershiser with 15 and 14 wins respectively (though Jaret Wright pitched well in postseason for them). The staff ERA of 4.05 in 2007 is far superior to the 1997 staff's 4.73.

Borowski's 1.43 WHIP is terrible for a closer. (Jonathan Papelbon's WHIP this season was 0.77, and incidentally Betancourt's WHIP was 0.76 though not achieved in closing situations.) The 1997 team used Jose Mesa as a closer; his 1.35 WHIP wasn't much better than Borowski's, and of course Mesa went up in flames in spectacular fashion in the World Series against the Marlins. I'm afraid Borowski will be a major factor in the Indians' likely defeat by the Red Sox.
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

162 games in the season.
Topic Author
woof755

Re: Borowski and the Indians

Post by woof755 »

Soaker wrote:
Opponent Process wrote:I'm ashamed to admit I'm not familiar with this guy...I haven't followed the Indians since Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez. would you say this team is better than those?
Comparing the 1997 Indians with the 2007 Indians, we see that the 1997 club was an offensive force that the 2007 club cannot equal, but that the pitching on the 2007 club is much better.

The 1997 Indians had three players (Thome, Williams and Justice) with at least 30 HR and 100 RBI, and the team OPS was .814. The 2007 club is led by Victor Martinez with 25 HR, only Martinez and Hafner exceeded 78 RBI, and the team OPS is .771.

The 2007 Indians staff is led by C.C. Sabathia and Fausto Carmona, two of the leading candidates for AL Cy Young, who each won 19 games. The 1997 staff featured Charles Nagy and Orel Hershiser with 15 and 14 wins respectively (though Jaret Wright pitched well in postseason for them). The staff ERA of 4.05 in 2007 is far superior to the 1997 staff's 4.73.

Borowski's 1.43 WHIP is terrible for a closer. (Jonathan Papelbon's WHIP this season was 0.77, and incidentally Betancourt's WHIP was 0.76 though not achieved in closing situations.) The 1997 team used Jose Mesa as a closer; his 1.35 WHIP wasn't much better than Borowski's, and of course Mesa went up in flames in spectacular fashion in the World Series against the Marlins. I'm afraid Borowski will be a major factor in the Indians' likely defeat by the Red Sox.
I wholeheartedly echo these sentiments. CC and Fausto are shutdown aces (of course, so is Beckett).

Problem is, if it's only 3-1 in the 9th, I fear what Borowski will do.

It's obvious Betancourt should be pitching the 9th, but he's not a "closer."

Just awful the way the game is managed today. It's all Jerome Holtzman's fault.
Last edited by woof755 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
Topic Author
woof755

Post by woof755 »

gkaplan wrote:Are they still playing baseball?
Ohhhhhhh yeahhhh!!!!!!!!!!
sport

Post by sport »

Go Tribe! :sharebeer
Deacon Mike

Re: Borowski and the Indians

Post by Deacon Mike »

Soaker wrote:

I still hate Jose Mesa. Thanks for the memories :(
Topic Author
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Blownsave Mesa? Not my favorite either. I still like the story of him getting arrested for harrassing some girl. His response was that he was only trying to get his gun back.

Stay classy, Jose.

Go Tribe!
zhiwiller

Post by zhiwiller »

I'm originally from Pittsburgh, so I didn't have a major league hometown team to root for.

I must say that I really enjoyed the bug swarm Indians/Yankees game though. That was one of the most unique games I've seen in years.
Topic Author
woof755

Post by woof755 »

My Dad was at the game. Notice in the replays how the Yankees are a lot more bothered by the bugs than the Indians?

I think it's because they were sh*t flies.
snowbound

The last good team

Post by snowbound »

The last time the Tribe was decent was when Charlie Sheen was on the team in Major League
"When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure"
Topic Author
woof755

Post by woof755 »

It's funny--that movie came out within a year of the Indians moving to the new stadium and coincided with the emergence of Sandy Alomar, Albert (Don't call me Joey) Belle, Carlos Baerga, etc. There were many parallels b/t the actual team and the cast of characters in the film.

Travis Fryman, Kenny Lofton, Belle, Dennis Martinez--they all resembled the movie portrayals.

Thanks for invoking such a great memory! I know that was your purpose, right?
Soaker

Posnanski's blog

Post by Soaker »

Sportswriter Joe Posnanski has a terrific blog entry today about being a sports fan in Cleveland in the 1970s and early 1980s. Fun weekend reading (if you're a Cleveland native, please bring your sense of humor along).

Link to "LeBron's Hat" by Joe Posnanski

Edit to quote Posnanski:
Then, you had to keep moving because it was cold inside Cleveland Municipal Stadium. It could be July, it could be 98 degrees everywhere else including the stadium parking lot, but once inside, the wind kicked up off the lake, and it would instantly drop to 12-degrees below zero. Then, the wind would dissipate, and the sun would blaze down, and it would be 117 degrees. Then the wind kicked up again. All around you could see rust and dripping asbestos and exposed and cut wires that would occasionally spark. The floor stuck like fly paper. It would have been a good place to interrogate people.

Who could enjoy a game in this atmosphere? Real Clevelanders. They would wear short-sleeve shirts and laugh at the shivering tourists. These were tough men and women, they had to be tough, they had STAYED in Cleveland even as hundreds of thousands fled the city throughout the 1970s for places South and West where the potholes did not eat cars and the sun occasionally burst through the smoke and the city’s No. 1 resource was not brown slush. I loved these people who stayed. Still do. Real Clevelanders. They all seemed to have incomprehensible jobs like bending refrigerators or blowing the crushing carburetors into dust with their bare hands. They lived hard lives. They drank beer that smelled like gasoline out of wax paper cups, and they smoked Marlboros and Kents without filters, and would take a nip now and again from a flask containing schnapps powerful enough to burn through metal, and they believed that this time, definitely this time, Rick Manning would come through.
Last edited by Soaker on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wellesley

AWoofter, there are a few of us, I suspect,

Post by Wellesley »

who hope that JB doesn't get the opportunity to close any games in this series.

the best,

Harry
cfs

This is what the Indians need to do

Post by cfs »

This is what the Indians need to do:

1. Throw STRIKES

2. Keep Ortiz from reaching first base

3. Keep Ramirez from reaching first base

4. Keep the rest of the Bosox hitters from reaching first base

On game one the Indians failed to execute items 1,2,3 [as a matter of facts, item 2 and 3 were on base TEN TIMES out of TEN TIMES].

Play ball !!!!

cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
sport

Post by sport »

Borowski did just fine in game two. So did the rest of the Indians. Seven runs in the 11th inning. Go Tribe!

Jeff
Topic Author
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Rick Manning was one of the most pathetic offensive "forces" I have ever witnessed.

And, Ohhhhhhhhhh Boy, did I always expect him to drill one off the wall.

Smooth with the glove, though! [content removed by moderator]
imbogled

Post by imbogled »

Pies in the face, put us in first place! Tribe time now, we get it done somehow! Just one more, to go to the BIG SHOW! :lol: