Thank You, Bogleheads.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Ducks

Thank You, Bogleheads.

Post by Ducks » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:25 pm

I know I haven't been around these forums much lately, but I wanted to say thank you to all the Bogleheads for showing me what a good plan looks like and how to make it happen.

My husband and I purchased a Foreclosed home in January. We used our old home (which we owned outright) to pay for half of it, and got a fairly hefty but doable mortgage to pay the other half. This month -- the same month that our first mortgage payment left our bank account -- my husband, our main income earner, was diagnosed with cancer. What are the chances of this? It must be pretty slim, but it happened.

Because we have a solid emergency fund, and a solid "Plan C" after the emergency fun might be exhausted, we will ride this storm comfortably and with confidence. We have these plans in place in part because of all the wisdom I've been reading over the last 2 years at bogleheads.org.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you. :)
Getting our Ducks in a row since 2008.

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:29 pm

I am sorry to hear of this diagnosis. Good luck to "Mr. Duck". There are a lot of good resources out there to help deal with this. I am glad to hear of your optimism about the finances. I know the value of being prepared under such circumstances. Congratulations with the new home!

Best wishes,
Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:54 pm

So sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. Hopefully he'll join Taylor, me and millions of others in the ranks of "cancer survivors".

Having your finances in order allows you to focus on the important thing; your husband's treatment.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Topic Author
Ducks

Post by Ducks » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks NAV & Mel. Prognosis looks good - it looks like he'll be out of work for 6 months, and then be in the Cancer Survivors Club.

And a PSA for all you men out there: Men can get breast cancer too. So let your wives feel you up. Or feel yourself up, or something. ;) If something seems amiss, go see your doctor.
Getting our Ducks in a row since 2008.

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:23 pm

Good wishes to you. I have had quite a few in my life deal with cancer. They have all conquered it or held it at bay. Hopefully you experience the same.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.

bearwolf

Re: Thank You, Bogleheads.

Post by bearwolf » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Ducks wrote:...
This month -- the same month that our first mortgage payment left our bank account -- my husband, our main income earner, was diagnosed with cancer. What are the chances of this? It must be pretty slim, but it happened.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you. :)
Ducks, I'm sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis. It can be a difficult time for both of you. Just keep in mind, no one has an expiration date stamped on their foot. Many people fight and win against cancer. We are currently fighting the battle (my wife). Good luck to you both!

BearWolf