Do you leave maid tip in a motel?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
imagardener

Do you leave maid tip in a motel?

Post by imagardener » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:21 pm

We just got back from a long driving trip in southwest US. Wonderful scenery and nice people. Our motel choice is usually $40-$90 range depending on what's available, usually in the middle of that range, and we always leave some money for the maid, no more than $5.

One night we needed to break a $20 and DH told the front desk why and the guy was surprised, said he hadn't heard of that being done. We were in Albuquerque, non-tourist area hotel, more business travel.

Are we the only ones? I just like doing it. Although the last night on the road I noticed a non-maid employee checking out the vacated rooms in advance of cleaning so now I'm thinking of handing it over in person.

I think if we can afford to travel we can afford to tip.

bnwest

Post by bnwest » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:33 pm

For long stays, I do.

Jeanz

Tipping maids

Post by Jeanz » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:41 pm

I always leave a modest tip, usually between two and five dollars.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:41 pm

There was a lengthy thread about this within the past year. I stay in hotels for work maybe 20-30 times a year, and hardly ever tip. Usually Holiday Inns or the equivalent. Then again, I tend not to make much of a mess of the room anyway.

The only time I left a tip that stands out in my memory is when I was staying at a hotel after a wedding where I drank way too much, and puked everywhere in the room. I left the maid staff a $20, and that was probably stingy given the circumstances.

xystici

Post by xystici » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:43 pm

I do not leave a tip but I try to make it as easy as possible for the maid to clean up my room:

In a business trip, I will only touch one of the two beds if in a double bed room; I will put all my trash in one trashcan; I will put all the towels to be replaced together in the same spot; I will try to minimize water splashing outside the shower tub / bath tub; I will minimize in general moving things around from the room (lamps/chairs/furniture/tables, etc.); if I iron my shirts, I will put back the iron and the iron board, etc.

gotherelate

Post by gotherelate » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:45 pm

Cherokee8215 wrote:There was a lengthy thread about this within the past year. I stay in hotels for work maybe 20-30 times a year, and hardly ever tip. Usually Holiday Inns or the equivalent. Then again, I tend not to make much of a mess of the room anyway.

The only time I left a tip that stands out in my memory is when I was staying at a hotel after a wedding where I drank way too much, and puked everywhere in the room. I left the maid staff a $20, and that was probably stingy given the circumstances.
TMI

-Grandpa
-Grandpa | I'd rather see where I'm going than see where I've been.

david99

Post by david99 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:54 pm

I usually leave 2 or 3 dollars for a tip ---- I'm also neat and put everything back where it is supposed to go to minimize the work for the maid.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:01 pm

I do, always.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:10 pm

The only place I tip the maids is in Mexico, they basically just work for the tips.

Greg

Opponent Process

Re: Do you leave maid tip in a motel?

Post by Opponent Process » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:12 pm

imagardener wrote:I think if we can afford to travel we can afford to tip.
this is exactly my rationale for eating out, and I'm a notorious overtipper here. bad service still gets 15%. but I never considered tipping at motels/hotels. I've only recently changed this policy due to this forum. I wonder how much those folks get paid?
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:53 pm

They get paid so little and have to clean up terrible messes, especially after lovers and drunks. Most don't leave tips, but I always do and every day because the same cleaning person may not clean my room every day. They deserve it, more so than a waiter even.

edit: I found this site titled "How to tip a hotel maid". http://www.ehow.com/tips_1977.html
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

ickeal

Post by ickeal » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:10 pm

I usually give a tip but it also depends on the length of my stay.

I think the maid gives an extra effort when a tip is given. Also, I will most likely get extra towels and pillows, etc when i leave a tip.

It also depends on the level of the hotel. You should definitely tip if you staying in a 5 star hotel or resort. However, no need to tip if you are staying in a cheap motel.

xerty24

Post by xerty24 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:45 pm

I've left my reasonably-sized pile of pocket change on my night table at a hotel and had it (mis?)taken as a tip during the day. I don't normally tip on purpose.

Harold

Post by Harold » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:51 pm

I don't think I've ever come across a surly, lazy hotel maid. There's a sizeable proportion of surly, lazy waiters. Yet it's our convention to always tip the waiters, with maids just being an afterthought. Social customs don't have to make sense I guess.

(Yeah, I know waitstaff wages can be below minimum wage, with the assumption that tips make up the difference -- but it's also the law that the employer picks up the slack if the tips don't.)

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:58 pm

I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Bimmer

Post by Bimmer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:58 pm

ickeal wrote:I usually give a tip but it also depends on the length of my stay.

I think the maid gives an extra effort when a tip is given. Also, I will most likely get extra towels and pillows, etc when i leave a tip.

It also depends on the level of the hotel. You should definitely tip if you staying in a 5 star hotel or resort. However, no need to tip if you are staying in a cheap motel.
Why would you only tip in expensive hotels or resorts? Are the maids working less hard before and after you stay in more expensive hotels? I suspect they are making more money to begin with at the more expensive hotels.
____________________________ | Bimmer | ____________________________

indexer

Post by indexer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:59 pm

I leave a couple of $1 dollars bills everyday and don't wait for the day I check out. This is to make sure that even if the maids change over the course of my stay, I don't miss out on tipping a maid who cleaned my room.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:28 pm

Watty wrote:The only place I tip the maids is in Mexico, they basically just work for the tips.

Greg
ditto us. We tipped in Mexico on 3 different trips. Otherwise, no.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:40 pm

I tip in person when it's appropriate. Sometimes the tip is part of the bill. Mexico isn't the only place the maids just work for tips. -- Tet
RESISTANCE IS FRUITFUL

soaring

Post by soaring » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:45 am

$3 each night. These folks like many others need all the help they can get. If I can't afford this then I don't need to spend on travel either.

But I tend to think of others in most circumstances and suspect many of you that give feel the same.

If I run out of money because of my concern for others then so be it. I will feel better until I run out. :)
Desiderata

Mr Bear

Post by Mr Bear » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:49 am

I tip everybody, and generously. It doesn't cost you much, and it makes a person's day, which in turn makes you feel good about yourself.

Two guys from the local Lowes delivered and set up a chest freezer at our house last week. It was a 97-degree day. They had to do some fancy maneuvering of their truck to access our basement door, and they spent a good half-hour setting the beast up and explaining to Ms. Bear how to care for it. When I handed them $10 each, it was clear from their utter delight that no one ever tips them. It was a free-delivery deal from the store, so I didn't feel I was losing any money. Made them happy, made me feel generous, all for $20, and I guarantee I'll get super service from the Lowes going forward.
Last edited by Mr Bear on Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

imagardener

Post by imagardener » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:49 am

Sidney wrote:This was discussed in this thread:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... usekeeping
TY Sidney

My search for "tip" and "motel" yielded non-helpful results. Do you have a secret for the search function on BH?

soaring

Post by soaring » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:09 am

imagardener wrote:
Sidney wrote:This was discussed in this thread:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... usekeeping
TY Sidney

My search for "tip" and "motel" yielded non-helpful results. Do you have a secret for the search function on BH?
here is a recent thread on searching. Don't use the word "search" at the top of this page. Click on the star at top left on this page then use the search feature on the left.

I used hotel tipping to find the referenced thread above.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
Desiderata

fishndoc

Post by fishndoc » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:02 am

Why would you only tip in expensive hotels or resorts? Are the maids working less hard before and after you stay in more expensive hotels? I suspect they are making more money to begin with at the more expensive hotels.
I agree, and even more so for restaurants. I try to leave the same tip at a Waffle house for a $7 lunch as I would elsewhere for a $30 meal (usually $5). I can't see that the servers do any less than at the more expensive places, and they are usually friendlier.

And Mr Bear is right, sometimes a small tip to someone who goes out of their way to do a good job (and doesn't expect a tip) means more to them than the actual dollar amount.
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle

travelfar

Post by travelfar » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:44 am

If I stay for more than one night, I like to leave a small tip each morning. That way the person who is actually taking care of the room that day receives the tip.

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:47 am

We don't tip and don't want the service either.
If we stay in the hotel for 2-3 nights, we just put a "No service" sign on the door and if we need to empty the trash can, we just take it outside and empty into one of the big garbage cans by ourselves.
Or something along these lines....

As far as cleaning after us... Why are we paying the room fee then? It is not my business how hotel hires & pays its employees. And it is not my job to "donate" money (via tipping) to hotel employees. If I want to donate money that is what charities are for.

exoilman

Post by exoilman » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:22 am

Always and generously for obvious reasons.

Sam

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:01 pm

Depends how much I messed the room up. I feel pretty good about myself. So I don't need to give out money ;)
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.

soaring

Post by soaring » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:14 pm

I suspect Buffet and Gates feel good about themselves without giving but they give and give anyway. I wonder if they feel better by doing so even if they had positive vibes about themselves in the first place? And I wonder if they think about those they are helping? Probably. :?
Desiderata

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:19 pm

soaring wrote:I suspect Buffet and Gates feel good about themselves without giving but they give and give anyway. I wonder if they feel better by doing so even if they had positive vibes about themselves in the first place? And I wonder if they think about those they are helping? Probably. :?
Is it a fact or a myth? Can you provide a link to prove that Buffet & Gates actually tip and/or overpay for agreed services?
Charity & tipping are not synonyms.

thatwhichisgood

Post by thatwhichisgood » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Reading this thread has done my heart good with so many of you tipping.

Yes I tip...and yes in an earlier life I did housekeeping and dishwashing etc... I think the lower the cost of the hotel the less tips you get as well.

It's not an easy life to say the least...nor one I would wish on anyone.

soaring

Post by soaring » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:07 pm

hsv_climber wrote:
soaring wrote:I suspect Buffet and Gates feel good about themselves without giving but they give and give anyway. I wonder if they feel better by doing so even if they had positive vibes about themselves in the first place? And I wonder if they think about those they are helping? Probably. :?
Is it a fact or a myth? Can you provide a link to prove that Buffet & Gates actually tip and/or overpay for agreed services?
Charity & tipping are not synonyms.
It depends on your mentality, IMO, if charity and tipping (giving) are different from a personal standpoint.

Of course you have decided tipping is overpaying for agreed services so that is that. Lucky for those in need that not everyone feels the same. I'll not comment on this subject again.
Take care
Desiderata

imagardener

Post by imagardener » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:06 pm

soaring wrote:[
here is a recent thread on searching. Don't use the word "search" at the top of this page. Click on the star at top left on this page then use the search feature on the left.

I used hotel tipping to find the referenced thread above.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
TY soaring. Good tip :-)

MrMiyagi

Post by MrMiyagi » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:12 pm

I usually leave 2-5 dollars for the maids (usually 2 dollars, but 5 if there's more than 2 of us)

I used to work as a waiter. Oddly enough, that made me more critical of waiters today - so I tip anywhere from 10-25% for waiters. If I feel they were lazy, or I even saw them lazing around, I have no problems leaving 10% If they did a good job (i.e. I never had to ask for my water to be refilled) - I will leave 20%+.

cwcwcw

Post by cwcwcw » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:41 pm

I won't give specifics (in fear of setting off a political firestorm), but fairly recently, a major political figure died and at his funeral, one of his sons pointed out that once he noticed some money left by the sink of a hotel that he and his father had stayed at. He asked his father about the money, thinking it was accidentally left there.... His father's reply:

"Let me tell you something... making beds all day is bad-breaking work. The woman who has to clean up after us today has a family to feed."

Kudos to all of you tippers.

grabiner
Advisory Board

The government allows for tipping

Post by grabiner » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:20 pm

The US government does not require travelers to tip, but its reimbursement rates allow $5 a day for incidental expenses, and it actually writes in section 300-3 of theFederal Travel Regulationsthat these expenses include "fees and tips given to porters, baggage carriers, bellhops, hotel maids..." The full $5 isn't assumed to be tips, but a significant part of it is.

The rate is relevant even if you don't travel for the government, as it represents the government's assumption of costs for a business traveler. If you travel on business and aren't reimbursed for your meals, you can deduct 50% of the standard government rate for meals and incidentals in the city you visit as a business expense.
Wiki David Grabiner

inspired investor

Post by inspired investor » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:00 pm

We always leave a tip of $3-5 per night even though we don't have the maid come into the room btwn nights. We keep the room as tidy as possible. These people work just as hard as any restaurant servers who we all tip with far more money. But because you don't readily "see" these people, you chicken out and don't pay them what they are worth.

TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:33 am

I usually tip anywhere from $5 to $20 at the end of my stay.

pkh01l

Post by pkh01l » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:15 pm

No, I do not tip and didn't think most people did.

PaulW

Post by PaulW » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:45 pm

We always leave a tip.

What is the rational for tipping waiters but not housekeeping staff?

Is it that we have verbal contact with waiters but not housekeeping?

Paul

kozabelle

Post by kozabelle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:52 pm

I always tip, approx $3.00 per day. And I tip daily because there is often a different cleaner/maid everyday, so if you tip all at the end, someone is going to be cheated.

Anyone who does not tip is cheap, and not in a good way. I agree with other posters that because some people do not see the cleaners, people take advantage and cheap out.

And I don't understand a poster who justified not tipping because "I feel good about myself". Well, you shouldn't if you don't tip.

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Apples to concrete blocks. :)

hudson

Post by hudson » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:29 pm

I worked as a bellhop one summer...a great summer by the way; that gave me a different outlook.
I leave $2-3 every morning for the cleaning crew.
Since reading the Boglehead discussions, I've decided to go with 20%+ tips in restaurants.

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:33 pm

How about just charging what something actually costs. So people doing that work can make a living without hoping on them tips.

:lol :dollar

yobria

Post by yobria » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:56 pm

For one night stays on the road, No. Multi-day at a resort when I want to be taken care of, Yes.

Nick

rr2

Post by rr2 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Usually 2-3$ left every night.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:21 pm

$2-$5 cash per night - left on the pillow each morning.

yobria

Post by yobria » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:21 pm

PaulW wrote:What is the rational for tipping waiters but not housekeeping staff?
Waiters typcially get pait less per hour by their employers than housekeepers, as they are considered "tipped employees".

Nick

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:18 pm

PaulW wrote:What is the rational for tipping waiters but not housekeeping staff?
What is the minimum wage for waiters and waitresses?

The minimum wage for waiters and waitresses is the current minimum wage less 31% for tips. Therefore, effective January 1, 2010 the minimum wage for waiters and waitresses is $5.69 per hour which is calculated in the following manner:

31% of $8.25 is $2.56; $8.25 minus $2.56 equals $5.69 per hour.

In other words, housekeepers make (on average) 31% more money than waiters before tips.

soaring

Post by soaring » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:31 am

The difference between the two is relevant to your point but the federal minimum wage is $7.25 ($15,138 annually) which is what most states pay. Some states are higher as shown in the attached.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._minimum_wages
Desiderata