Range with Double Oven

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
CUBuffs

Range with Double Oven

Post by CUBuffs » Sat May 01, 2010 10:16 pm

Dear Bogleheads,
We are in the process of purchasing a new range. After looking at several brands and models, we're considering either a GE with a double oven. We're wondering whether a double oven is worth the extra cost. Do any of you have electric ranges with double ovens and are they worth the extra cost?
Thanks for your opinions!
Mike

Skiffy

Post by Skiffy » Sun May 02, 2010 5:02 pm

We need the drawer at the bottom of the oven for pot and pan storage. Are you considering the two ovens at the bottom?

CUBuffs

Post by CUBuffs » Mon May 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Skiffy,
After considering the various features, we decided to purchase a Samsung with one convection oven. It has a warming drawer at the bottom that can be used for storage. We decided that we would that the double oven would be primarily useful for holidays, but we would need the storage space every day.
Thanks,
Mike

DiscoBunny1979

Post by DiscoBunny1979 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:20 pm

I purchased a Pro style Jenn Air double oven about 2 years ago and enjoy it alot. However, I built a special cabinet for it so that it is higher off the ground. I was able to create a special access panel under the oven to get to electrical connections. Many of the pre-made cabinet units that are for double ovens have the bottom oven opening too low to the ground. So, my design helps eliminate that problem. While a warming drawer is nice, I've found that it's not that necessary for my kind of cooking. The key for installation is having a good location for it and the ability to run a dedicated circuit that's rated (AMP) for the oven that's selected.

One of the problems with electric double ovens is that the digital display often resets with power surges or power outages. This means having to reset the clock or other settings after such occurance. I also have a Jenn Air dual fuel range that resets at the same time . . . double the trouble.

Personally I like having a double oven in the kitchen for looks when it's not in use. It adds value to the kitchen because it is a true double oven and not a single. I think for resale value, folks that buy a house for the kitchen would like the fact that a double oven is already installed.

But the problem with kitchens is that there usually is not enough circuits. When I added the double oven, I had to find a new place for the seperate microwave oven. So, had to create a seperate circuit for the microwave, the new double oven, and at the same time put in a seperate circuit for the toaster/rice cooker! I must have a least 7 dedicated lines going to the kitchen for appliances. All this required upgrading the circuit panel and therefore the simple addition of putting in a double oven had externalities that required more $$$.

ohiost90

Re: Range with Double Oven

Post by ohiost90 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:44 pm

MikeDenver wrote:Dear Bogleheads,
We are in the process of purchasing a new range. After looking at several brands and models, we're considering either a GE with a double oven. We're wondering whether a double oven is worth the extra cost. Do any of you have electric ranges with double ovens and are they worth the extra cost?
Thanks for your opinions!
Mike
I don't cook often, but I would use a double oven about 2x a month. I dont know the extra cost, but I would be worth 100 or so more to me.

retcaveman

Post by retcaveman » Mon May 03, 2010 10:35 pm

We have a GE Profile double oven. It is now 10 years old but has had it's problems. If you do a Google search for this product you will learn about the "dreaded F7 error code problem. You will also read about many many people who have had problems with this particular appliance. Based on my reading and in our own experience, GE has not stood behind this chronic problem. Several people have replaced the control panel several times at great cost to them and it still doesn't work well. I would avoid the GE double oven.
"The wants of mortals are containers that can never be filled." (Socrates)