Any thoughts on Loyola (Chicago) or DePaul Law School?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
SoonerSunDevil

Any thoughts on Loyola (Chicago) or DePaul Law School?

Post by SoonerSunDevil » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:02 pm

I'm interested in applying to these two law schools, and I'm looking for a little more information. I'm hopeful there is an alum or two from these schools, or someone familiar with the Chicago legal market. Specifically, I'm wondering how the large firms in Chicago view these two schools. Obviously, the two big name schools in Chicago are The University of Chicago and Northwestern, but how do these two schools stack up with respect to employment offers by the big firms? Is it safe to say that the top 10% of the graduating class from Loyola or DePaul would still have ample opportunities for a large law career?

Thanks,

John

edge

Re: Any thoughts on Loyola (Chicago) or DePaul Law School?

Post by edge » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:38 pm

OUJohnNasr wrote:I'm interested in applying to these two law schools, and I'm looking for a little more information. I'm hopeful there is an alum or two from these schools, or someone familiar with the Chicago legal market. Specifically, I'm wondering how the large firms in Chicago view these two schools. Obviously, the two big name schools in Chicago are The University of Chicago and Northwestern, but how do these two schools stack up with respect to employment offers by the big firms? Is it safe to say that the top 10% of the graduating class from Loyola or DePaul would still have ample opportunities for a large law career?

Thanks,

John
I don't know much about Chicago.

Think carefully if you want to work for a big firm. A couple of my friends went to UVA/Harvard law and now they work in big firms in DC/NYC respectively. They completely regret it - and not because they hate the work - because they can't tell the difference between the work week and the weekend. Its mostly because the big sharks run the little fish ragged, dangling the promise of future partnership and huge salaries in front of them. The bottom of the totem poll is highly competitive so it is an absolute requirement to be there ... all the time. Although they are highly compensated it is going to take full partnership to make it worth their whiles.