Restaurant.com + eBay = Cheap Eats?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
blood_donor

Restaurant.com + eBay = Cheap Eats?

Post by blood_donor » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:33 pm

There are folks on eBay selling Restaurant.com gift certificates for ~25c on the dollar ($25 for $100 or $12 for $50). Then you can buy coupons on Restaurant.com at $10 for $25 or $3 for $10. Doing the math, that's about $2.50 for $25, or a 90% discount!

Has anyone used the Restaurant.com coupons?

stratton

Post by stratton » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:00 pm

Careful. I've seen articles on counterfeit gift cards showing up on ebay. If they're selling these for 25 cents on the dollar the deal may be "too good to be true."

Paul

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:48 pm

I too would be wary of gift cards on ebay. You don't know if there is $25 or $2 on it once you get it.

I browsed restaurant.com the other day, and it seems legit. Only negative I saw was in my town, the list of places they had deals on was small and not really anything I wanted to buy.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

greg24

Post by greg24 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:13 pm

I just read an article somewhere that selling gift cards online is a new way to launder money. So you may get what you pay for, but its sort of dirty money.

AnimalCrackers

Post by AnimalCrackers » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:33 pm

I'd do a lot of research on the restrictions of redeeming the coupons, right down to the restaraunt, day of the week, and mabye even the entrees on which you'd want to use them.

I cashed in United Airline miles for those coupons, and they were a lot more restrictive and generally hard to use than I thought they'd be.

blood_donor

Post by blood_donor » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:58 pm

greg24 wrote:I just read an article somewhere that selling gift cards online is a new way to launder money. So you may get what you pay for, but its sort of dirty money.
I saw the article about using pre-paid Visa cards, but I hadn't heard about using gift certificates to restaurants! How would this work?

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:23 pm

blood_donor wrote:
greg24 wrote:I just read an article somewhere that selling gift cards online is a new way to launder money. So you may get what you pay for, but its sort of dirty money.
I saw the article about using pre-paid Visa cards, but I hadn't heard about using gift certificates to restaurants! How would this work?
simple. you take bad money, and instead of going out and using it to buy stuff, which can get you caught, you buy gift cards and sell those for good cash. probably some other tricks involved, but you get the idea. same as the prepaid visa cards, they are no different than a gift card.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

mrpuddles

Post by mrpuddles » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:18 am

Just realize a few things with the Retaurant.com gift certficates.

(1) Can't use them for alcohol
(2) Check sites like FatWallet for big % off (just ended a 50% off promo)
- They were 70% off in July
(3) Heard horror stories where restaurants won't accept them
- Yes, the certificates were for that restaurant
(4) 1 certificate per party, even with multiple bills for 1 table
(5) Here are the restrictions on the certificate:

Min purchase of $50. Not valid Saturday. 18% gratuity added to the original bill. Excludes Holidays
ONE TIME PER MONTH PER CUSTOMER, TWO DINNER ENTREES, MIN $35 PURCHASE. VALID TUES-THURS
Valid Mon-Thur with minimum purchase of $50. Minimum purchase of 2 beverages. Excludes holidays.
Valid with a minimum food purchase of $35 w/2 entrees. DINE IN ONLY.

They can be a good deal, but can also be a pain. I'd suggest calling the restaurants ahead of time to see if they accept and then watch sites like SlickDeals or FatWallet for specials.

If in doubt, use an entertainment book coupon.

paulob

Post by paulob » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:27 am

tommy_gunn wrote:simple. you take bad money, and instead of going out and using it to buy stuff, which can get you caught, you buy gift cards and sell those for good cash. probably some other tricks involved, but you get the idea. same as the prepaid visa cards, they are no different than a gift card.
I don't follow your example.

You say that if one uses the "bad" money to buy stuff, you "can get caught", why wouldn't you get "caught" buying the gift cards?
Paul