Mp3 Player Recommendations

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Rick

Mp3 Player Recommendations

Post by Rick » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:15 pm

I don't know much about IPODS or other MP3 Players. Anyone have advice for a lower cost Player that I can download and listen to financial spots.

Also would appreciate any advice on software or services to manage the downloads.

Rick
"Money doesn't grow on fees." "Money in motion-costs money"

tat2ng

Post by tat2ng » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:37 pm

I highly recommend the iPod shuffle. I bought one as a gift for my wife, and then bought one for myself a few weeks later because I liked it so much.

It's $80, and I think free shipping from www.Apple.com. You can't view the song/artist information, but I can easily sacrifice that for the tiny size of the unit. It clips easily to your pants pocket, belt loop, whatever. As far as podcasts, you can set up iTunes to automatically download them from the internet, or it would work fine for organizing them for listening to.

Just my $0.02.

Thad

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:54 pm

My wife got me a $200, 4 Gb IPOD Nano. I like it.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

tfb

Post by tfb » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:36 pm

It's hard to find now but I still think the iAudio G3 sets the gold standard for listening to audio books and long podcasts. Here's a review I wrote for it with 4 basic tests for audio book use. Most of the players are designed for songs (short 3-minute tracks). If you listen to mostly long tracks like 30-minute podcasts or 8-hour audio books, you have to find one that's friendly to long tracks. I think the iPod Shuffle fails miserably on these tests.

Test 1. Mid-track resume

If you stop the player in the middle of a track and turn it off, when you turn it back on, does it start playing at the exact same spot where you left off? Some players will start at the beginning of the track. Fast forwarding is not a good option for long tracks. You need a player that resumes in the middle of a track.

Test 2. Multi-track play order

Sometimes the audio books come with many tracks. These tracks MUST be played in order or else you will have a scrambled book. However when you copy an entire folder of files to the player, the computer doesn't necessarily copy them in file name order. Track 5 may be copied first, followed by track 1. If the player can't play them in order, the audio book tracks become useless. Believe it or not, some players will only play the tracks in the order they were copied to the player.

Test 3. Bookmark

If you have both audio book tracks and music tracks on the player and you want to switch from book to music, will you be able to save a bookmark for your book and get back to where you were after you are done listening to music?

Test 4. WMA support

Some books and podcasts come in wma format. Does the player play wma files?

EDIT: If you care about setting bookmarks, read more: MP3 Players with Bookmark Capability. According to that article, iPods do not have true bookmarking capability.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

blood_donor

Creative Zen

Post by blood_donor » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:34 pm

Get a Creative Zen flash based player. More features (FM radio, recorder) than an equivalent Apple iPod for less money. I have a Zen V Plus and I am quite happy with it.

G12

Post by G12 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:22 am

I have a Rio Forge, about 3-years old, has internal memory + can add additional memory with a card add-on. Does have FM radio and bookmarking capability. Depends on what you want. As one of the posters indicated, you can download the free iTunes player and download podcasts directly to it and listen at your computer.

I am sure the iPods are great, but I don't have 5000+ songs that I would want to listen to with much frequency and would be chapped if I lost it with all that content on it.

My sister loves her iPhone, much better than her Treo with ease of functionality.

Nitsuj

Re: Mp3 Player Recommendations

Post by Nitsuj » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:51 am

Rick wrote:I don't know much about IPODS or other MP3 Players. Anyone have advice for a lower cost Player that I can download and listen to financial spots.
If all you want to do is listen to financial spots you don't need an mp3 player at all.

I have a 2gb iPod nano that I got for opening a checking account with Key Bank. The iTunes software is bloated and installs way too many services just to download podcasts, but it seems to work OK with iPods for synching podcasts, however you have to double sync. One sync to let iTunes know what the iPod has played, the other to transfer new podcasts to the iPod.

Ted Valentine

Post by Ted Valentine » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:17 pm

Rick wrote:I don't know much about IPODS or other MP3 Players. Anyone have advice for a lower cost Player that I can download and listen to financial spots.

Also would appreciate any advice on software or services to manage the downloads.

Rick
I want echo what Nitsuj said. You can download and burn to CD. Or you can just listen on your computer.

You don't need an "MP3 player" to do this, unless you just want to have something small and portable.

modal

Post by modal » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:31 pm

My IPOD mini is great, but they do not make it any more. :( It gets me out of the house to run and also makes chores
less of a bore.

I recommend getting a refurbished IPOD nano from Small Dog Electronics http://www.smalldog.com/. Looks like they are out at the moment.

Correct, IPODs do not have bookmark ability and it is a feature I wish they had!

tat2ng

Post by tat2ng » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:43 pm

I don't know about "bookmark" ability, since I've never tried to listen to audio books on my iPod shuffle. But, I have plenty of music podcasts (downloaded free from the "Lounge Acts" at www.woxy.com) that if I skip to the next track while in the middle of the podcast, and then return to the skipped podcast later, it will resume from where I left off in the middle of the podcast.

I would assume this would work for financial podcasts as well. Not sure about audio books, though.

Thad

bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:47 pm

modal wrote: Correct, IPODs do not have bookmark ability and it is a feature I wish they had!
Ipods have bookmark ability, they just have to be the correct format of audio file.

If you do a search for convert files to m4b ipod (I can't post, because of some shall we say strong spam controls), the search result

iPod: How to Convert MP3 files to iPod Audio Book format (m4b)

is pretty useful

Dale

Rick

Post by Rick » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:00 pm

Ted Valentine wrote:

Rick
I want echo what Nitsuj said. You can download and burn to CD. Or you can just listen on your computer.

You don't need an "MP3 player" to do this, unless you just want to have something small and portable.
Yes, I am looking for portability. I ride a bus to and from work...would like to make this time more valuable.

Thanks for all the info. Rick
"Money doesn't grow on fees." "Money in motion-costs money"

zhiwiller

Post by zhiwiller » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:16 pm

Good Lord yes, iPod.

I got the video 60gb one last year and never looked back. It is light, it does everything I want it to, it stores my entire collection, I don't have to futz with batteries or anything and it has a nice design. An iPod Nano is probably what you are looking for.

Pangloss

Samsung

Post by Pangloss » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:46 pm

I just bought a Samsung YP-U2J (refurbished) from Newegg for $20. It has a 1GB capacity, FM radio receiver, and can record approximately 1 hour of audio. It's slightly larger than my USB jump drive, but it also has a small display window to show the name of the song that's playing or which radio station I'm listening to. Windows XP recognized the device, and it easily interfaces with Windows Media Player. Sound quality was surprisingly good. I don't see how I could have done any better for only $20.

modal

Post by modal » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:05 pm

bradshaw1965 wrote:
modal wrote: Correct, IPODs do not have bookmark ability and it is a feature I wish they had!
iPod: How to Convert MP3 files to iPod Audio Book format (m4b)
is pretty useful
Dale
Thanks! I did not know that. I just don't want to convert...

They don't do it natively?

Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:55 pm

modal wrote:Thanks! I did not know that. I just don't want to convert...

They don't do it natively?
Of course not. Why you not want to convert from one lossy format to another? I mean really, it's not like the quality gets better. Or even stays the same.