Mac or PC for elderly technophobe

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ataloss

Mac or PC for elderly technophobe

Post by ataloss » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:13 pm

I have a family member who struggles with computers. Really wants to do email and a little light word processing but has trouble when odd things happen (e.g. previously installed printer doesn't work and error message says that maybe the cable is disconnected) No interest in how/why computers work.

What about extended onsite/phone tech support?

Lon

Post by Lon » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:08 pm

Here's a website that can walk him through many PC functions and it's seniors teaching seniors. It's a extensive site chock full of good stuff for seniors. http://www.seniornet.org.

blood_donor

Post by blood_donor » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:35 pm

Mac all the way. I am a Windows guy but I bought my mom a Mac because I thought it would be easier for her to figure out. I can't imagine trying to explain spyware, viruses, network shares, and all that other crap to her. The Mac just plain works.

ataloss

Post by ataloss » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:36 pm

Thanks for the link Lon. We'll try that for now.

I was thinking of a Mac Mini preloaded with i work aNd with the Apple-care program - $150 for 3 years of telephone support and repairs. Less that the cost spent on local pc help (this is a long distance thing)

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:18 pm

Everytime my father touches a PC, he gets a trojan/malware/spyware on the computer, due to his lack of sensibility with the internet and all-too-trusting nature. This is something to consider for an elderly technophobe.

Next summer when I visit, I am considering getting him set up on a Linux machine that has email and web-browsing and printing set up and nothing else. Once set up, it should be dead easy to use, since he's not in the habit of getting new gadgets to work on the PC (won't need to be continuously getting things installed and set up).

ataloss

Post by ataloss » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:21 am

that is the good thing- if they are unlikely to add anything or want additional functionality it should help keep things stable.