Favorite Scotch?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:34 am

tc101 wrote:I quit drinking years ago. I probably save $1000 a year. I am healthier and happier. But to each his own.
That's so wonderful for you. Thanks for sharing.

jiclemens

Post by jiclemens » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:43 pm

Johnny Red is my "well drink" when not working on Rodney Strong cabs. However, it seems 18 years is when a lot of scotch hits its prime. Then, at 18, I'm happy with Glenfiddich or MacAllan or Chivas and probably many others I haven't tried yet. I absolutely do NOT like Cutty Sark and my taste is a bit limited by what I can get at Costco.

wlpotts

I agree w/Bettega-OBAN 14 yr

Post by wlpotts » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:31 pm

Oban 14 yr is my preffered elixer. Try it you'll like it.

It's >$30.00, but Famous Gouse is palatable for the <$30.00 swill.

Cheers!

Warren
Some have it. Some don't. Either way, here I am!

blood_donor

Post by blood_donor » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:09 pm

tc101 wrote:I quit drinking years ago. I probably save $1000 a year. I am healthier and happier. But to each his own.
There is Drinking, and there is Enjoying. I think if you add up all of the liquor I consume in a year, it would total less than $200, on average. Alcohol in moderation is actually good for you.

PaPaw

Post by PaPaw » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:17 am

I'm also a fan of Speyside single malts. My favorites are Glenlivet 18, MacAllan 12 (and 18 but that is getting pretty pricey), Balvenie Doublewood, Glenfiddich 12. My favorite blended Scotch is Famous Grouse. I can't handle the island stuff ... too much like iodine for me at this point but perhaps my tastes will change?

jeugenius

Post by jeugenius » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:41 pm

My favorite is Glen Garioch 21 year.

For value, you can't beat Johnnie Walker Black Label. The upgrade to Blue Label isn't worth it and the downgrade Red is simply atrocious.
Cheers!

Midpack

Post by Midpack » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:58 pm

My favorite by far is Lagavulin. Very 'peaty,' most single malt drinkers I know don't like it at all (just a friendly warning). Rarely found in restaurants and bars so I usually resort to red wine (surprise).

DW drinks Balvenie Double Wood at home and where available, Macallan 12 is her second choice.
You only live once...

actuaryinvestor

Scotch

Post by actuaryinvestor » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:53 pm

Interesting thread. Has anyone tried doing a blind taste test?

I was given a bottle of Johnny Blue as a present and I always thought it was ten times as good as all the cheaper drinks I've had (I'm not yet sophisticated enough for Single Malts). Just for fun I did a blind taste test between Johnny Black, Johnny Blue, and Chivas Regal and interestingly enough my favorite was the Black. It goes to show how much I was influenced by the presentation and price of the Blue Label.

I'm definitely going to buy Famous Grouse right away. It was my (Scottish) grandfather's drink of choice but I've actually never tried it.

--
Brian

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:17 pm

Brian,

I would be very interested in your comparison of Famous Grouse to JW Black and would appreciate your evaluation on a later post.
Tom D.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:19 pm

Another vote for Lagavulin. Chewy stuff. Almost needs a fork to get through all that smokey peat. Love it!

But it is SO expensive! Around $85 per fifth now in Oregon. Five years (or more) ago, it could be had for $35 per liter in UK duty free stores. No more. One of the things I learned about duty free stores back then was that the best deals on liquor were in the duty free stores that were in the country of origin of the liquor. Obvious, I guess.

Because of this forum posting, I've become a fan of Famous Grouse for ordinary sipping, and keep my Lagavulins (both 16-year and special 10-year cask strength) for special occasions.

actuaryinvestor

Scotch 2

Post by actuaryinvestor » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:11 pm

tomd37 wrote:Brian,

I would be very interested in your comparison of Famous Grouse to JW Black and would appreciate your evaluation on a later post.
I wasn't kidding when I said I would get it right away (I was about to walk to the supermarket anyway). My wife isn't home today, so I couldn't ask her to set up a blind taste test. Instead I set up four identical scotch glasses and poured a full shot of Johnny Black and Famous Grouse and half a shot of Chivas Regal and Johnny Blue. I skimped on the latter drinks because four shots at once would be pushing it when alone on a Sunday night. Here are my (unsophisticated) observations.

1. Everything tastes smoother and better after you've had a shot or two.

2. As people on this board have said, it makes a suprising difference to drink a scotch "neat" rather than over an ice cube, as I had usually done.

3. Blue, Black, and Grouse are all very similar while Chivas is set apart. Unfortunately it's set apart in a way I don't like.

4. Grouse is a little lighter and has less bite than Black does, although both are really smooth. I would say it's closest to Blue in style, although it tasted slightly less refined (remember this isn't a blind test and I could be biased). I feel that Black has a more distinct taste than Grouse, which seems more "blended".

5. If I had to rank them without regards to value from best to worst I would say Black, Blue, Grouse, Chivas. The first three are extremely close and I could easily change my mind between them. I also like the Chivas and it's a lot better than Johnny Red, for example, but I would put it a distinct notch down from the other three. In a direct comparison I think I could distinguish between Black, Blue, and Grouse but I bet if I only had one in isolation I couldn't tell what I was drinking.

6. When you consider the price, my ranking would be Grouse, Black, Chivas, Blue. In other words until I become a millionaire or discover single malts I will drink Famouse Grouse from now on.

--
Brian

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:40 pm

3M
Gordon

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:48 pm

Brian,

Thanks for the quick taste tests. Now you'll have to sober up before the little lady gets back!

Have never had the Famous Grouse and based on your comments I may have to try it one time. Use the JW Black routinely for my nightly drink, have tried Chivas with no real liking, and had a JW sampler set last year that consisted of one small bottle each of JW Red, Black, Gold, and Blue. Can't say that Blue, for $210 for 750ml, is that much better than Black. Gold wasn't bad, but think Black is best bargain for quality and taste. Red is definitely out.

For a single malt I have a preference for Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish 12-year old. Had also tried The Glenrothes 12-year old, The McCallum 12, 15, and 18-year olds. My kids gave me the latter 18-year old when I retired 5 years ago and I compared it with their 12 and 15 and ended up liking the 15-year old the best of the three. But, the Nashville TN is not noted for its consumption of good scotches and the price of good single malts has gone way up in the past three years. So I settled in on JW Black for my one drink a day (about 4 to 5 days a week) and save the Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish for special ocassions. Even went and year and a half without it being available in this area. So when it is available at a decent price I get a half-dozen bottles and sip away gingerly.

Thanks again for your comparison tests and enjoy!
Tom D.