Getting Rid of Cable???

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
arthurb999

Post by arthurb999 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:23 am

auntie wrote:They are disconnecting my cable tomorrow. I was paying about $140 for TV, phone, and internet. Ouch!

Now I'm using an antenna for TV and it works great.
I got Magic Jack set up yesterday and it looks good so far.
Verizon set me up with DSL internet for $20 a month. Slower than cable, but OK.

Now I have to decide what to do with my extra $1440 a year.

Should have done this a long time ago.
Get a 9/mth netflix subscription and a windows 7 media pc and really be chilling :D

modal

Post by modal » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:57 am

arthurb999 wrote: Get a 9/mth netflix subscription and a windows 7 media pc and really be chilling :D
It'd be interesting if Netflix got into the InDemand TV space.

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:01 am

auntie wrote:They are disconnecting my cable tomorrow. I was paying about $140 for TV, phone, and internet. Ouch!

Now I'm using an antenna for TV and it works great.
I got Magic Jack set up yesterday and it looks good so far.
Verizon set me up with DSL internet for $20 a month. Slower than cable, but OK.

Now I have to decide what to do with my extra $1440 a year.

Should have done this a long time ago.
I didn't cut the phone service yet. I'll research that one next year... She gave me a pretty good discount for a year.

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:03 am

modal wrote:
arthurb999 wrote: Get a 9/mth netflix subscription and a windows 7 media pc and really be chilling :D
It'd be interesting if Netflix got into the InDemand TV space.
I'd like to see a service with no mailed DVD at a lower cost. I am not interested in mailing hard copy DVDs, but may be interested in a low cost streaming only service. Last time I checked they didn't offer that yet.

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:22 am

Their streaming catalog is a small fraction of their total catalog. Titles come in and go away. There aren't any TV series you'd like to watch on DVD? Six feet under? Sopranos? Mad Men? Any BBC shows?

I personally find that the combo of broadcast TV and Netflix to be far superior to an expensive cable package.
Getting our Ducks in a row since 2008.

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:43 pm

OK, the cable changes are implemented today.

I slowed my Internet speed to save $10/mo.

Previous:

Download: "Up tp 8 Mbps"
Actual: 3 to 5 Mbps
Upload: 1 Mbps
Actual: 1 Mbps

Now:

Download: "Up tp 2 Mbps"
Actual: 2 Mbps consistently
Upload: 1 Mbps
Actual: 1 Mbps

Ping, Jitter, and Lost Packets the same.

Streaming works just fine. I think unless I am doing a major OS Service pack update or something I won't notice any difference.

TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:28 pm

I agree--you will be just fine with those speeds. You won't notice any difference except with really large sized downloads.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:37 am

haban01

Post by haban01 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:21 pm

There are a number of good programs on PBS! Never have cable and always get sick of hearing from others when I'm over at their house that there is nothing to watch on cable!! Yes!!! I'm serious! :lol:
Eric Haban | | "Stay the Course" | "Press on Regardless" | | Wisconsin Bogleheads Chapter Coordinator

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:56 pm

Here's a update since I dumped cable TV:

We get about 25 quality stations over the air, many of which cable did not offer. We get get additional shows over Hulu and Microsoft Media Center, as well as a few lesser known ones. I hook my laptop up to the 52" LCD via HDMI and it looks better than the cable we had. My laptup has a remote control, but I may buy a remote keyboard with touchpad for $50-100.

I fill in the gaps with library DVDs and a few purchased ones. For background noise during business hours I stream Bloomberg instead of MSNBC. I only wish they had better video/audio quality.

I love Hulu's limitted commercials, that it fills the enitre screen (or at least no bars on 4 sides like my cable), and no 1/3 screen sprites advertising other shows... and pause/rewind./etc with no DVR.

Streaming at 2 Mbps has been fine.

jlq39

Post by jlq39 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:01 am

My wife and I have tried twice now to go without cable. The last time we lasted about 6 months, this time only 3. The problem for us is that we are huge sports fans, and to be honest, you just can't get a good experience without cable/satellite when it comes to sports. I wish we could save the money, but it's just to the point where it affects our quality of life and that ain't worth saving some money over. I went and was able to pick up a pretty good deal that I thought was fair. Before, I was paying $85/month for HD cable and DVR. I used a promotion and am getting it for the next 12 months for $49.95. To us, it's worth $50/month to watch all our favorite sports teams (especially during college basketball season) and have DVR to boot. And I have to admit, I did miss Discovery, History, National Geographic and the science channels. I love to learn. If all my wife and I watched were tv shows, then we definitely would not have cable. There is no point. Over the air and Hulu are perfect and more than enough for that. But if your big sports fans it's really hard to capture that experience for free. So for $50, i'm willing to pay that with DVR included and improve our quality of life. My wife and I are big savers, so it's hard sometimes to let a little go. We have to remind ourselves that we are not poor and need to have some fun today and not just save it all up for tomorrow.

mithrandir

Post by mithrandir » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:30 am

I replaced my analog TV with a plasma HDTV a few weeks ago. I have the "raw" coaxial cable plugged directly into my set (no digital set-top box) and receive over 80 channels. This was a nice surprise since I have the "limited basic" TV service ($17/month).

All local broadcast stations are displayed in either 720p or 1080i, 15 channels in all. The TV's built-in QAM tuner does the job; you don't need a special cable box or "HD digital cable" service (minimum $48 extra/month) to get HDTV. No roof antenna either!

What's weird is that I am also receiving channels like ESPN, SyFy, TLC, HGTV, etc. They're all 480i but I do get them. I used to have to pay extra for these but whatever! Frankly these stations should be "free" anyway because they are loaded with advertising.

I was watching some hour-long cooking show on Food Network and discovered it was actually a 30 minute program stretched to an hour by incessant commercials. Incredible.

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:35 am

mithrandir wrote:I replaced my analog TV with a plasma HDTV a few weeks ago. I have the "raw" coaxial cable plugged directly into my set (no digital set-top box) and receive over 80 channels. This was a nice surprise since I have the "limited basic" TV service ($17/month).

All local broadcast stations are displayed in either 720p or 1080i, 15 channels in all. The TV's built-in QAM tuner does the job; you don't need a special cable box or "HD digital cable" service (minimum $48 extra/month) to get HDTV. No roof antenna either!

What's weird is that I am also receiving channels like ESPN, SyFy, TLC, HGTV, etc. They're all 480i but I do get them. I used to have to pay extra for these but whatever! Frankly these stations should be "free" anyway because they are loaded with advertising.

I was watching some hour-long cooking show on Food Network and discovered it was actually a 30 minute program stretched to an hour by incessant commercials. Incredible.
Sounds like what I was getting for almost $50 extra to my bundle. But they only gave us about 5 or 6 local high def channels. I would not have dropped it if it was only $17.

Boglenaut

UPATE

Post by Boglenaut » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:40 pm

Wow, I cannot believe how much of trend leaders Bogleheads were on the cord-cutting front.

I just read the news that cord cutters were the cause of ESPN "subscriptions" going from 100 Million to 93 Million, as non-sports folks drop the fees.

I couldn't remember when I cut the cord from cable TV, but remembered discussing it here... already more than 6 years ago!

Just an update, we have Netflix (streaming only became an option shortly after my post wishing it were), $8/mo (soon to go to $10). My internet (now 30 mbps down, 1 up) + Phone is now $46 after all taxes and fees. I need to negotiate it every year, and it is with a different company.

I really do not miss all the commercials and clutter on cable TV. I watch PBS in high def over the air, but the family mainly streams Netflix and other sites to iPads and big TV.

I see ESPN is now $6.61 of the costs for cable... we complained about it being $3.65 in this thread!

Boglenaut

Re:

Post by Boglenaut » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:56 pm

arthurb999 wrote:
Get a 9/mth netflix subscription and a windows 7 media pc and really be chilling :D
I bet you did not know "Netflix and chill" would become a huge catch phrase a few years after you posted this!!

AJTrenkle

Re: Getting Rid of Cable???

Post by AJTrenkle » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:59 pm

I did a bunch of searches on bogleheads when I went to cut the cord. Thanks for all the ideas early adopters!

My current setup is a leaf antenna plus Apple TV and Amazon fire stick. It think I watch so much better programming now.

Apple TV has Netflix. My comcast high speed package for $60 mo comes with local channels and HBO and showtime so I log into those sites on the Apple TV. I also use MLB.tv during the season.

We subscribe to Amazon prime so I also have a firestick with kodi installed.

Monthly cost I would say is $76 for Internet and TV vs about $175 before. There was a hardware cost upfront but I would say my total savings is $900 this year.

Thanks bogleheads.

tj

Post by tj » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm not really seeing the savings. We pay about $145/month inclusive of fees and taxes to AT&T for a whole house DVR with 3 boxes and DSL internet, which is probably about 6 MBPS down.

If I "cut the cord", I would need significantly faster internet speeds from Time Warner for a cable modem to get reliable streaming for all our tv's. From Time Warner, its $75/mo for 100 MBPS down, whole house wifi and to to rent a modem. Add $20/month for Sling TV, $10/month for netflix. And that doesn't consider the cost fo the OTA antenna and perhaps a hard drive to return programming.

I see minimal savings for significant inconvenience vs. the status quo.

DiMAn0684

Post by DiMAn0684 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:46 pm

tj wrote:I'm not really seeing the savings. We pay about $145/month inclusive of fees and taxes to AT&T for a whole house DVR with 3 boxes and DSL internet, which is probably about 6 MBPS down.

If I "cut the cord", I would need significantly faster internet speeds from Time Warner for a cable modem to get reliable streaming for all our tv's. From Time Warner, its $75/mo for 100 MBPS down, whole house wifi and to to rent a modem. Add $20/month for Sling TV, $10/month for netflix. And that doesn't consider the cost fo the OTA antenna and perhaps a hard drive to return programming.

Realistically you don't need a 100Mbps downlink. I had 25Mbps downstream services from Verizon and Comcast for the past 4+ yrs and it's holding up ok with 3 people streaming videos in the evening.

tj

Post by tj » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:36 pm

DiMAn0684 wrote:
tj wrote:I'm not really seeing the savings. We pay about $145/month inclusive of fees and taxes to AT&T for a whole house DVR with 3 boxes and DSL internet, which is probably about 6 MBPS down.

Realistically you don't need a 100Mbps downlink. I had 25Mbps downstream services from Verizon and Comcast for the past 4+ yrs and it's holding up ok with 3 people streaming videos in the evening.
You only need 25Mbps for 3 HD streams? That seems low.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:06 pm

You need to prioritize what you actually want.

We pay $70 for 100MBPS, basic cable, and HBO (including HBO Go Streaming.) We would get rid of the cable component completely, but it would be the same price without the cable/HBO.

We subscribe to Netflix for $8/month, and Hulu Plus Commercial Free option for around $4/month (got a gift card off of EBay)

My wife initially "needed" SlingTV because she thought she needed HGTV. That cost us $20. When you subscribe for 3 months, you get a free FireTV, which was nice.
However, after 4 months, she realized that she wasn't really watching it, and there were tons of similar content on Hulu and Netflix.

Once you get used to the on-demand streaming nature of these services, you realize that you don't really need the live channels anymore.

tj

Post by tj » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:23 pm

cutterinnj wrote:

We pay $70 for 100MBPS, basic cable, and HBO (including HBO Go Streaming.) We would get rid of the cable component completely, but it would be the same price without the cable/HBO.

We subscribe to Netflix for $8/month, and Hulu Plus Commercial Free option for around $4/month (got a gift card off of EBay)

My wife initially "needed" SlingTV because she thought she needed HGTV. That cost us $20. When you subscribe for 3 months, you get a free FireTV, which was nice.
However, after 4 months, she realized that she wasn't really watching it, and there were tons of similar content on Hulu and Netflix.

Once you get used to the on-demand streaming nature of these services, you realize that you don't really need the live channels anymore.
The only things that I watch are new tv shows on the "free" OTA channels, sports, and local news. I don't have any interest in HBO and channels like that.

For sports, I can replace some of it with Sling TV and probably be satisfied, but it's significantly less sports channels, and the savings aren't that large vs the lower convenience.

parhur

Post by parhur » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:41 pm

I love my Ruko. the only two channels I pay for are netflix and hulu. Less than $20.00 a month.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:45 pm

tj wrote:
cutterinnj wrote:

The only things that I watch are new tv shows on the "free" OTA channels, sports, and local news. I don't have any interest in HBO and channels like that.

For sports, I can replace some of it with Sling TV and probably be satisfied, but it's significantly less sports channels, and the savings aren't that large vs the lower convenience.
For sports-type people, cutting the cord is much more difficult presently. If you need live ESPN 8, then you are correct; you're currently stuck with cable or similarly-priced alternatives.

closetoreality

Post by closetoreality » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:57 pm

I have an odd philosophy.

I'm frugal with pretty much everything accept whats under the roof. If we want cable, we get it. If we want to take long showers (city water) we take long showers.

We sacrifice in other areas so that we can live comfortably when home.

Staying home saves you money, if you have nothing at home worth staying in over then it's pointless.

Get fast internet, get cable, watch movies, get a nice computer. So when Friday night roles around you can look forward to staying in versus having nothing to do and blowing money out and about.

tj

Post by tj » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:46 pm

closetoreality wrote:I have an odd philosophy.

I'm frugal with pretty much everything accept whats under the roof. If we want cable, we get it. If we want to take long showers (city water) we take long showers.

Staying home saves you money, if you have nothing at home worth staying in over then it's pointless.

Get fast internet, get cable, watch movies, get a nice computer. So when Friday night roles around you can look forward to staying in versus having nothing to do and blowing money out and about.
I can relate to this philosophy, though I wouldn't mind spending more time out, though not necessarily blowing $$. I feel like TV and also the internet takes up a lot of time that could be spent elsewhere, and if I didn't have as much convenience at home, maybe I would focus more on other hobbies than the comfortable default. And on the other side, I've had peers who are just looking for a place to store their stuff and a place to sleep. I somewhat envy that.

DiMAn0684

Post by DiMAn0684 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:28 pm

tj wrote:
DiMAn0684 wrote:

You only need 25Mbps for 3 HD streams? That seems low.
Here's an article with some ideas on the numbers from various sources:
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/h ... 0wo6fdw.97

DiMAn0684

Post by DiMAn0684 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:39 pm

closetoreality wrote:I have an odd philosophy.

Hah, funny, I was just thinking this weekend that I am a complete opposite of this. I'd rather sleep on the couch 330 days a year and travel for a month than sleep in a comfortable bed at home 365 days :) To each their own.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:50 pm

etherscreen78 wrote:So I'm sick of paying over $150/month for comcast cable/phone/internet. One one hand, I feel it would be liberating not having cable in the house, but it's nice to curl up with a nice movie or watch a show every now and again.

If you've given cable the ax, how are you getting by?

hulu, apple tv, etc.?
Talked about cutting the cord for a year, it is a tough move to make emotionally. I will say I don't know what I waited for!!! We use Apple TV and Netflix. Saving $150 a month is delightful.

DANTUT

Post by DANTUT » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:02 pm

About 4 years ago I dropped cable TV and Phone.
Got a MagicJack that worked great until the past few month & I just fixed it so it is great again.
I kept cable internet, but after 2 years of no TV the price kept going up.
To add cable TV to my Internet package would only cost $10 more a month so it was a no brainer. It is $85 a month as a combined package.

Without Cable TV and having kids we got by with Netflix and TV antennae. We also have an old TIVO to get things recorded.

The issue I had with Magicjack was that the conversations were getting broken up. I fixed it by adding the IP address of my magicjack to my routers "media prioritization" feature. It gives certain devices on the network more bandwidth.

Our cable TV package is up in May & I think we will be giving up cable TV again. There are so many more options these days to do streaming.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:31 pm

I dropped cable in 2009 too. I was just so sick of the stupid reality shows taking over all the networks I used to love. We started getting Netflix DVDs and I also streamed until the price change debacle. There was some really nice quirky shows available for streaming and they were easy to find.

That stopped when the kids moved back in and DIL started streaming Warrior Princess nonstop on *my* router. They're gone now, fortunately.

Recently we got a Roku smart TV with Netflix, and I was really disappointed to see the offerings are more limited than before. Just a lot of commercial movies I would never go out of my way to see. And really awkward to search with the onscreen keyboard...meh. :confused

However, I must say that it runs fine on a 5GB router using DSL, even in prime time. That surprised me. I was sure I'd need cable broadband to get streaming that smooth. :sharebeer