free fillable mistake, amend?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Augustivus

free fillable mistake, amend?

Post by Augustivus »

Hello,
Thanks for any help in advance!

I filed my 2023 taxes using the IRS free fillable forms. A while later I got a letter from the IRS with notice name "CP12", stating my tax amount was calculated incorrectly, and I they will send a refund of the correct amount (lower than is should be). I checked all my forms several times and I found the error. Looks like when I entered my data online I left out line 3a, somehow. But I entered all the other data correctly. When I run my calcs without line 3a I get roughly the number the IRS does, but slightly different since they are just using the 1040 line 16 amount I put in (without using the qualified dividends and capital gains worksheet).

At any rate, one question is, assuming I want to get my full refund back, should I just amend the return and ignore the letter and callback junk to contest their adjustment? I think the answer is yes.

Next question is can I just fix the error in the free fillable forms and refile? I've never done an amended return. I'd look around in there, but I cannot log in. I've tried several machines, for hours. I even created an ID.me (what fun) account to check the transcript of my return (which is how I know line 3a is blank).

Thanks!
jebmke

Re: free fillable mistake, amend?

Post by jebmke »

I'm confused. Do you agree with their adjustment or not?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
Augustivus

Post by Augustivus »

Given the information they have (that I did/didn't fill in) they are correct. However, if I fix the entry issue, they are incorrect, and I'm due more refund.
talzara

Post by talzara »

Augustivus wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:16 pm At any rate, one question is, assuming I want to get my full refund back, should I just amend the return and ignore the letter and callback junk to contest their adjustment? I think the answer is yes.
Wait for the refund first.

File an amended return with the IRS numbers in column A ("as previously adjusted"). Do not use the numbers on your original return. Line 21 should be the difference between the IRS-calculated refund and the correct refund.

Be sure to mention the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet in Part II. Don't write more than one short sentence. Every amended return is processed manually, even if it is e-filed. An IRS employee will be reading Part II, so you want to tell them exactly what to do.
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

You should amend.

You might be able to respond with a rebuttal to the CP12 but it involves adding something to your return along with the CG worksheet for the tax calculation. This may be beyond the scope of the CP12 group.

I recommend you amend using the 1040X. There’s no chance for a mis interpretation. If free fillable forms doesn’t support this, you need to find software that will or fill it in by hand.

You could try FreeTaxUSA. Prepare the return the wrong way. Print it. Don’t submit. Then amend it and see if you can get the program to print the 1040x. Just a suggestion.
talzara

Post by talzara »

Asyouwish wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:44 pm I recommend you amend using the 1040X. There’s no chance for a mis interpretation. If free fillable forms doesn’t support this, you need to find software that will or fill it in by hand.

You could try FreeTaxUSA. Prepare the return the wrong way. Print it. Don’t submit. Then amend it and see if you can get the program to print the 1040x. Just a suggestion.
Free File Fillable Forms does not support form 1040-X.

For something this simple, it is faster to fill out form 1040-X manually. The PDF is fillable, so you can copy and paste most lines from the original return.

If you used software that supports form 1040-X, then it's faster to use the software. Since the software doesn't support form 1040-X, it takes longer to use different tax software to enter a new return. You have to print and mail anyway since consumer tax software cannot e-file an amended return unless it also e-filed the original return.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

agree with talzara; wait for IRS to adjust and then amend against the adjusted return.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
Augustivus

Post by Augustivus »

talzara wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:42 pm ...
Asyouwish wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:44 pm ...
jebmke wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:51 pm ...

Thank you all for your replies! My quotes above are my attempt to alert you of a response to something you posted, does it actually work the way I did it?

I appreciate you letting me know this can't be done in free fillable forms, I can now stop spinning my wheels trying to log into that!

I'm going to look into the 1040-X, and I'll see if freetaxusa does that, which would be ideal as that's what I used to check my return. Worst case I'll prepare it by hand (fillable).

I have already received a refund (not the full amount it should be obviously), but I'm thinking that's not when it's been "adjusted"? My guess would be after the date on the CP12, which would be "July 19, 2024" as in "if you don't contact us by July 19, 2024, we'll proceed as if you agree with the information in this notice." Maybe I'll wait a little longer and amend in early august?

Thanks for the help, it's greatly helped my stress level on this!
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

If you received your refund, the return has been processed. Or adjusted and processed. You can amend anytime.

The letters are sometimes mailed after the refund because they get scheduled and take up to 2-3 weeks in the mailing queue.

If you have access to transcripts you can see all the dates.

Amend any way that works for you. By hand or software. My understanding is amended returns are worked in date order. So an efiled amended return received July 20 gets the same priority as a mailed amended return received in the mailroom July 20. The paper 1040Xs are all image scanned upon receipt and available on the computer for employees to access.
Topic Author
Augustivus

Post by Augustivus »

OK, I'm going through the form 1040-X while looking at both my free fillable form (I can finally log in today) and I'm also looking at the IRS transcript. The transcript has items like this:

"TENTATIVE TAX" and
"TENTATIVE TAX PER COMPUTER"

for column A in the 1040-X, I think I should use the "PER COMPUTER" entries if there is a choice, is this correct? I think this is what talzara meant above, I'm just checking. I'm assuming that's what really got filed for my return since that's where my refund amount comes from.

OK, here's what the instructions say, so i believe I'm doing this correctly:
Completing Form 1040-X. On Form 1040-X, enter your
income, deductions, and credits from your return as originally
filed or as previously adjusted by either you or the IRS, the
changes you are making, and the corrected amounts.
Thanks!
talzara

Post by talzara »

Augustivus wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:24 pm for column A in the 1040-X, I think I should use the "PER COMPUTER" entries if there is a choice, is this correct? I think this is what talzara meant above, I'm just checking. I'm assuming that's what really got filed for my return since that's where my refund amount comes from.
If the per computer numbers include the qualified dividends, then that is what you should be using in column A.