Buying a primary home in Seattle Washington

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Post Reply
Topic Author
rolex4
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:03 pm

Buying a primary home in Seattle Washington

Post by rolex4 »

I bought a home in Edmonds for the following reasons. Please confirm what gaps you notice in my analysis:

1. This area is in the Picnic Point-Edmonds area, and the crime rate is significantly lower. I filtered last 2 years data and noticed 10-12 minor mailbox thefts here and there, but I didn't see any reports of burglaries, robberies, aggression, or other serious incidents.

2. The schools are good, though not as highly as those in Tahoma or Snoqualmie. However, test scores and student progress are at least 8/10.

3. It's a 25-30 minute drive to Seattle and a 35-minute drive to Bellevue when there's less traffic. During peak times, it can take 45-50 minutes. Due to the light rail, it's only a 10-minute drive to reach Lynnwood Transit Center, so there are no major issues with commuting.

4. Costco, Whole Foods, Target, Home Depot, Mall, and most restaurant chains are within a 10-15 minute radius.

5. Lastly, the average home value in this community is $1.1M, which means that my neighbors will likely be tech professionals, physicians, retirees who can afford such housing. So far, I've noticed many Chinese and Indian residents in this big community

6. If I drive south to Edmonds Bowl, the downtown area, the restaurants are highly rated due to the waterfront and other attractions plus lot of trails and parks.

We are paying $1.2M for a 2,501 sq. ft new construction home with a lot size of 4,000 sq. ft., which includes a private backyard with a greenbelt. While we are happy with the home, I want to ensure that I haven't overlooked anything in terms of due diligence. The reason I say this is because we plan to raise a family here and stay for the next 10 years. I would really appreciate insights from experienced homeowners 🙏
User avatar
snackdog
Posts: 3396
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:57 am
Location: PNW

Re: Buying a primary home in Seattle Washington

Post by snackdog »

You already made your decision so the only remaining action is to live there and see how it goes. You will know if you made a good decision after living there many years.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
chinchin
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Re: Buying a primary home in Seattle Washington

Post by chinchin »

Congratulations.

My only comment is that I wouldn’t claim Seattle if I lived in Edmonds. Different city.
not financial advice
runner3081
Posts: 6120
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Buying a primary home in Seattle Washington

Post by runner3081 »

Edmonds and Lynnwood are going downhill fast, that is a big concern I would have.

Have you done the drive to Seattle? Commuted from Edmonds to First Hill for 8 years… on the bus, when is this less traffic time you speak of? Morning commute was quick if on I5 before 6am. Probably 20 minutes. Coming home, anywhere between 50 to 100 minutes.

Those commute times were 12 years ago before we got fed up with crowding and weather and left.
bombcar
Posts: 2187
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:41 pm

Re: Buying a primary home in Seattle Washington

Post by bombcar »

How old are the kids?

Because the biggest “issue” I see is that if they’re young or just a twinkle in the eye, the schools could change rapidly by the time they’re school aged.

I personally do a “neighborhood, commute, school” checkup once a year, because if I realize “I wouldn’t buy here today” I want to sell before everyone else realizes, too.

Also beware that sometimes which school you’re eligible to send your kids to can change radically.

Any experience I have with the area is 20 years out of date, but I do recall the general opinion that those north of 205th were lesser beings to be disregarded (and envied because of cheap trash pickup).

Home costs don’t control who will live there just who can buy - people can double/triple up. You need to compare to other areas to get a real “feel” for the neighborhood. Again, if it’s a newlywed/nearly dead type of place, the schools could end up suddenly being drastically underfunded if nobody cares (or way overfunded if they were build for 10k students and how there’s a child population of 500).
Topic Author
rolex4
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:03 pm

Re: Buying a primary home in Seattle Washington

Post by rolex4 »

runner3081 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:31 am Edmonds and Lynnwood are going downhill fast, that is a big concern I would have.

Have you done the drive to Seattle? Commuted from Edmonds to First Hill for 8 years… on the bus, when is this less traffic time you speak of? Morning commute was quick if on I5 before 6am. Probably 20 minutes. Coming home, anywhere between 50 to 100 minutes.

Those commute times were 12 years ago before we got fed up with crowding and weather and left.
I’m not following this. Can you help me understand what do you mean by going down hill and why?
User avatar
quantAndHold
Posts: 10170
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm
Location: West Coast

Re: Buying a primary home in Seattle Washington

Post by quantAndHold »

Have you actually tried the commute? Is there any parking at the transit center? Where do you get on coming back north? Will there be a seat? My experience with commutes in that area is that my enjoyment, or lack of enjoyment, of the commute was directly related to whether or not I could sit down.
Topic Author
rolex4
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:03 pm

Re: Buying a primary home in Seattle Washington

Post by rolex4 »

quantAndHold wrote: ↑Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:28 am Have you actually tried the commute? Is there any parking at the transit center? Where do you get on coming back north? Will there be a seat? My experience with commutes in that area is that my enjoyment, or lack of enjoyment, of the commute was directly related to whether or not I could sit down.
Lynnwood light train didn’t start yet but soon coming next month. However I work at Amazon so I can take our Amazon shuttle stops at the transit centre
AznSaver
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:51 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Buying a primary home in Seattle Washington

Post by AznSaver »

rolex4 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:35 am
runner3081 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:31 am Edmonds and Lynnwood are going downhill fast, that is a big concern I would have.
I’m not following this. Can you help me understand what do you mean by going down hill and why?
Congratulations on the home purchase and enjoy exploring the area.
Not to say that the previous opinion is invalid, but I wouldn't put much value in it if were you.
Your point of reference and expectations are starting from this point and are going to be different than the previous posters...

No matter where you are in western Washington everything is getting more expensive, there are more people and traffic is worse than the year before.

Edmonds is fine, better than most parts of Seattle, being in a new construction area you should be able to see and be around like minded individuals. You did your research, quite a bit it seems, and found what was acceptable for you.

I would take those traffic estimates with a grain of salt as there are so many variables that will end up making those drives usually longer.
Although I am not in that area I have been in western Washington for the last 30 years and specifically in south Bellevue for the last 20.
Everything is pretty relative and it is what you make of it.
eri
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:43 am

Re: Buying a primary home in Seattle Washington

Post by eri »

I’ll 2nd, 3rd, 4th, whatever the traffic comments.

Before you buy you should try living that commute for a week and see how you feel.
momopi
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:59 pm

Re: Buying a primary home in Seattle Washington

Post by momopi »

rolex4 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:02 am I bought a home in Edmonds for the following reasons. Please confirm what gaps you notice in my analysis:
<snip>
We are paying $1.2M for a 2,501 sq. ft new construction home with a lot size of 4,000 sq. ft., which includes a private backyard with a greenbelt. While we are happy with the home, I want to ensure that I haven't overlooked anything in terms of due diligence. The reason I say this is because we plan to raise a family here and stay for the next 10 years. I would really appreciate insights from experienced homeowners 🙏
You've already purchased the home so; you're going to find out both the good parts and the warts regardless.

I was in Seattle last year, staying at Level Seattle South Lake Union a couple blocks from Amazon HQ. It's in a nicer part of Seattle but doesn't make up for the bad parts. If I worked for Amazon, I'd ask if I can relocate to the Irvine office in Southern California instead of Seattle.

Hopefully with the distance, Edmons/Picnic Point will retain its suburban quality of life. But if you see signs of decay like local target putting toothpaste behind locked cabinets, might be a good time to plan for exit at that point.
wunwun1
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri May 24, 2024 7:47 am

Re: Buying a primary home in Seattle Washington

Post by wunwun1 »

snackdog wrote: ↑Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:17 am You already made your decision so the only remaining action is to live there and see how it goes. You will know if you made a good decision after living there many years.
+1
Post Reply