Harry Potter effect on number of posts?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
stratton

Harry Potter effect on number of posts?

Post by stratton » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:04 pm

I wonder if it's going to be Harry Potter and the Deathly Number of Posts around here. :P

If we compare the number of posts on a couple of previous week ends and adjust for the number members would we see a dip?

Paul

Mel Lindauer

Re: Harry Potter effect on number of posts?

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:10 pm

stratton wrote:I wonder if it's going to be Harry Potter and the Deathly Number of Posts around here. :P

If we compare the number of posts on a couple of previous week ends and adjust for the number members would we see a dip?

Paul
Real Diehards probably take their laptops or phones with them and check in on the forum from the movies! :)

Regards,

Mel

LocalHero

book, not movie

Post by LocalHero » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:51 pm

Greetings Mel,

The reference is to the latest and last Harry Potter book. We bought ours at midnight last night and I'm on page 223. Grandson is at about the same point and granddaughter is on page 430.

Best wishes,
JB
Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together. -- Red Green

CountryBoy

Am glad to see people here value Harry Potter...

Post by CountryBoy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:57 pm

I am listening to the third disc of the audio cd with Jim Dale of the seventh and last Harry Potter book; having already read the previous six books.

Am truly impressed that any folks here would even begin to know about Harry Potter.

I was in line today to pick up my audio book at Borders book store and no one in the line was below the age of 30 yrs. old....(everyone is picking them up for children?...i don't think so.)

I :
-subscribe to The Economist and Barons,
- watch Wealthtrack,
-check in here 2xs a day
-have read the Wm Bernstein, Ferri, Swedroe, Malkiel, etc. books
and am a complete Diehard,

but everyone once in a while we all need a break and what a wonderful break these books are.

Enjoy

Mel Lindauer

Re: book, not movie

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:08 pm

LocalHero wrote:Greetings Mel,

The reference is to the latest and last Harry Potter book. We bought ours at midnight last night and I'm on page 223. Grandson is at about the same point and granddaughter is on page 430.

Best wishes,
JB
Hi JB:

I thought you were talking about the movie, since I just saw it in IMAX on Thursday (my wife's a big Harry Potter fan). I'll have to admit that I have no idea what the movie was about, even after seeing it on a 60' IMAX screen. :oops:

Regards,

Mel

LocalHero

HP

Post by LocalHero » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:33 pm

Greetings CountryBoy,

I even stopped reading Hiaasen's "Sick Puppy" in the middle of the book to read "... Deathly Hallows." Recreational reading is important too. I also have Ferri's and Peter Bernstein's latest on hold.

Best wishes,
JB
Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together. -- Red Green

zhiwiller

Post by zhiwiller » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:46 pm

My girlfriend loves reading but has a short attention span. She has to finish Hallows before her sister comes back from Italy in two weeks because she is trading her the book then.

She's made it to about page 30 this weekend. She's never going to do it unless I start yelling at her to go read. :D

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, NO SPOILERS. I already had #6 ruined for me. I stick to the movies as I stick to reading books that are unlikely to be turned into films.

Gabriella

Post by Gabriella » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:36 pm

zhiwiller wrote:
EDIT: Oh, and by the way, NO SPOILERS. I already had #6 ruined for me. I stick to the movies as I stick to reading books that are unlikely to be turned into films.
I hear you, zhiwiller! My husband picked up the book for me and I read it yesterday to avoid spoilers! Enjoy!

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:55 pm

stratton wrote:I wonder if it's going to be Harry Potter and the Deathly Number of Posts around here. :P

Paul
The whole thing is the most amazing case of mass hysteria.

I would recommend Philip Pullman' His Dark Materials as a remedy:

http://www.amazon.com/Materials-Trilogy ... 652&sr=8-1

as a 'grown up' piece of children's fiction, and an antidote.

The movie is apparently coming out. The book is actually quite anti (organised) religion, which I suspect they will soften for the movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385752/tra ... 32812-10-2

I would add I saw it as a theatre play: 7 hours in 2 parts. I have never been so emotionally gripped or drained by a piece of theatre.
"'And we'll do it,' she said.
She turned away. Behind them lay pain and death and fear; ahead of them lay doubt, and danger, and fathomless mysteries. But they weren't alone.
So Lyra and her dæmon turned away from the world they were born in, and looked toward the sun, and walked into the sky."
If Lyra Acquavella does not break your heart, as she walks the journey we all must walk, from childhood innocence to adulthood, no one can.

nick22

Potter

Post by nick22 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:08 pm

I stopped reading after book 3 (they were good) and never have really liked the Potter movies. Maybe it is due to a lack of time, but my interest isn't usually held by somewhat formulaic stories about good and evil. But it is good to see that kids will read something these days.

I will say the hype is fairly annoying and just another part of media noise we deal with on a daily basis. I try to avoid the media, but I assume even Osama in a cave in pakistan knows that the 7th Potter is here and Victoria Beckham has made her arrival to the states (welcome Posh Spice, but you already had you 15 minutes).
Nick22

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:42 pm

Paul
Harry who?

- Ron

quidditchfan073

Post by quidditchfan073 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:02 pm

I just finished yesterday! Wonderful book and a great read. I'm not a big fan of the movies either acaully. Really the only movies I liked better then the books was LOTR. The great thing about all the hype was that Amazon lowered there price drastically. The cover price on the book is 34.00. I got mine from amazon for 17.99 and my book came on sat with the free shipping.

Greg

savermike

not quite yet

Post by savermike » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:28 pm

Potterdamerung has to wait until DW's copy arrives from the U.K. and she gets through it. Am reading the forum less recently because I'm out of town.

Mike

Jazztonight

Draco is still my favorite character. Next to Snape.

Post by Jazztonight » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:27 pm

I read the exciting conclusion of book 7 last night, and feel that JKR pulled it all together very well.

(I also enjoyed the new movie, which we saw last week.)

Now, is this great literature? Not really, but it is very entertaining.

And I am easily entertained. 8)

That said, I don't think less of anyone if they don't read or like the Harry Potter saga.

But if you do, I think more of you!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

Gabriella

Post by Gabriella » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:26 pm

Jazztonight,

Re your subject line: I wouldn't have expected anything less from someone whose avatar is a scorpion! :D

CountryBoy

Well said Jazztonight

Post by CountryBoy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:13 am

That said, I don't think less of anyone if they don't read or like the Harry Potter saga. But if you do, I think more of you!
I finished it a couple of days ago and thought she did fine.

Having read just about all the books on the required reading list for Diehards and being one myself, I think it is important to lighten up every once in a while and just relax. Her 7 books was a wonderful diversion for myself and the rest of the world.

I know of no other book in the 20th century that was been the subject of such widespread approbation. Can anyone suggest a similar instance? We need more occasions where people can lighten up.

Nitsuj

Re: Well said Jazztonight

Post by Nitsuj » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:31 am

CountryBoy wrote:I know of no other book in the 20th century that was been the subject of such widespread approbation. Can anyone suggest a similar instance? We need more occasions where people can lighten up.
Half the books weren't from the 20th century, but apart from that, I'd say there are other books and series that were received as well, if not better. Tolkien, for example. Narnia, for another. Doctor Seuss? Even some of Stephen King's work, such as The Stand.

grok87

Number 7 is good

Post by grok87 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:31 pm

I just finished number 7 and thought it was very good.
I'm struggling to find something to say that won't give away any plot details (I was afraid of someone doing this to me while I was reading it).

Let's just say the them of class/bloodline/democracy is as strong as ever and Rowlings message is as important as ever. You probably have to have lived in England (I did) to really understand what she is talking about.
cheers
grok

CountryBoy

On NBC this Sunday

Post by CountryBoy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:50 pm

On NBC this Sunday there will be an in depth interview with the author as to her thoughts in retrospect and plans moving forward.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:45 pm

Valuethinker wrote: I would recommend Philip Pullman' His Dark Materials as a remedy:

The movie is apparently coming out. The book is actually quite anti (organised) religion, which I suspect they will soften for the movie.

If Lyra Acquavella does not break your heart, as she walks the journey we all must walk, from childhood innocence to adulthood, no one can.
Valuethinker,
Thanks for the tip. I just picked the book up from my library. The movie is apparently coming out, in the US, this fall.
cheers
grok

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:41 pm

grok87 wrote:
Valuethinker wrote: I would recommend Philip Pullman' His Dark Materials as a remedy:

Valuethinker,
Thanks for the tip. I just picked the book up from my library. The movie is apparently coming out, in the US, this fall.
cheers
grok
I saw the stage version at the National Theatre in London (2 parts, 6 1/2 hours in one day). Timothy Dalton as Lord Azreal. I've never so sat on the edge of my seat, for so long.

There are times when the flood of ideas is almost overwhelming and arguably he overdoes it (it's really John Milton's Paradise Lost, at its heart).

It's controversial because of its stance on organised religion (determinedly anti).