Wells Fargo Attune Credit Card - 4% Cashback in Unique Categories

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
safari

Wells Fargo Attune Credit Card - 4% Cashback in Unique Categories

Post by safari »

Wells Fargo is offering a new credit card - Attune Mastercard, which looks interesting.

- $0 annual fee
- $100 sign up bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months
- 0% APR on purchases for 12 months
- 4% cashback in unique categories: Select Sports, Recreation, and Entertainment (gardening and floral stores, campgrounds, sports supplies, movie theaters, live shows and sporting events, amusement parks, tourist attractions, and pet supplies, boarding, and grooming); Self-care (gym memberships, massages, hair and nail salons) and Planet-Friendly purchases (public transportation, electric vehicle charging stations and secondhand stores)
- 1% cashback on all other purchases
- Free cell phone protection (up to $600 with $25 deductible, up to 2 claims/year)
- Auto rental collision damage waiver
- Concierge service

https://creditcards.wellsfargo.com/attune-credit-card
Last edited by safari on Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lastrun

Re: Wells Fargo Attune Credit Card - 4% Cashback in Unique Categories

Post by Lastrun »

I will give props to Wells Fargo for their recent cards, they are all strong cash back contenders.

A few thoughts:

1. I think WF was smart not to try to compete with Chase and Capital One on travel and dining, or others on groceries, but rather, a bunch of "other" categories that may be of interest some folks, particularly hobbyists-photographer, gardener, sports season ticket folks, etc.

2. Many of these will not be high spend categories for most folks as compared to travel, dining, and groceries.

3. This is being called the "hippie" card.

4. At first blush, seems like a "how will it code" nightmare, but for the optimizers I can see some benefits.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

For me, I could add up 4% on all those spending categories and it would be much much less than getting 2% from everything I put on my Citi Cashback card.
epoche

Post by epoche »

safari wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:24 am Wells Fargo is offering a new credit card - Attune Mastercard, which looks interesting.

- 4% cashback in unique categories: Select Sports, Recreation, and Entertainment (gardening and floral stores, campgrounds, sports supplies, movie theaters, live shows and sporting events, amusement parks, tourist attractions, and pet supplies, boarding, and grooming); Self-care (gym memberships, massages, hair and nail salons) and Planet-Friendly purchases (public transportation, electric vehicle charging stations and secondhand stores)
- 1% cashback on all other purchases

- Auto rental collision damage waiver

Auto rental damage waiver is secondary, which doesn't really distinguish it from most others.

A distinguishing feature is that the 4% category cashback is stated to be unlimited.
Most cards put a cap on high-cashback categories.
Several of the categories likely also code as on-line for BoA CCR or other such cards that may give even higher cash back rates.
But if you have high spend in these categories and don't have a card that covers them, for no annual fee, this seems pretty good.
rogue_economist

Post by rogue_economist »

Got an offer for that one. Can't imagine how those categories add up to a meaningful amount for all but a very few people.
Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they shall never sit in
bople

Post by bople »

Lastrun wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:17 am 4. At first blush, seems like a "how will it code" nightmare, but for the optimizers I can see some benefits.
Exactly! Which is why I am in such love with USBAR and if I can Apple Pay it is guaranteed 4.5% cashback. This is only going to get better with the new iOS 18 and MacOS 15 changes with better Apple Pay support on websites coming.

Note: we travel enough that the 50% travel rewards boost is trivial to get and the travel portal has been identical pricing to Google Flights for everything that I have booked.
Topic Author
safari

Post by safari »

bople wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:07 pm
Lastrun wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:17 am 4. At first blush, seems like a "how will it code" nightmare, but for the optimizers I can see some benefits.
Exactly! Which is why I am in such love with USBAR and if I can Apple Pay it is guaranteed 4.5% cashback. This is only going to get better with the new iOS 18 and MacOS 15 changes with better Apple Pay support on websites coming.

Note: we travel enough that the 50% travel rewards boost is trivial to get and the travel portal has been identical pricing to Google Flights for everything that I have booked.
I also love the USBAR card. I like to book travel directly with airlines and hotels though, while still getting the extra 50% worth of rewards, which is possible by enrolling into the real-time rewards. After I book a flight or hotel directly, US Bank sends me a text message with the number of points I need to redeem to cover the purchase, and all I have to do is text back the word REDEEM to get the purchase amount credited back to my account. Pro tip: if you cancel the reservation, the rewards credit doesn't get reversed, so this gives you ability to cash out the rewards points with 1.5 multiplier without having to travel anywhere.
bople

Post by bople »

safari wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:30 pm
bople wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:07 pm

I also love the USBAR card. I like to book travel directly with airlines and hotels though, while still getting the extra 50% worth of rewards, which is possible by enrolling into the real-time rewards. After I book a flight or hotel directly, US Bank sends me a text message with the number of points I need to redeem to cover the purchase, and all I have to do is text back the word REDEEM to get the purchase amount credited back to my account. Pro tip: if you cancel the reservation, the rewards credit doesn't get reversed, so this gives you ability to cash out the rewards points with 1.5 multiplier without having to travel anywhere.
Good point! That basically makes it a direct 4.5% cashback card with no hoops to jump through if you organically buy travel.

I just hope they never stop doing the 3x mobile wallet, since it is so much better than anything else out there for large spend.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I'm seeing reports on other websites that a number of people with strong credit profiles are being rejected for this card. It looks like WF might be sensitive to those with "too many" recent credit card inquiries (at least for this card).