Apple Pay on iPhone in Europe

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Xrayman69

Apple Pay on iPhone in Europe

Post by Xrayman69 »

Does Apple Pay work in Europe?

Going back to Europe after 13 months. I’ve now got very comfortable using Apple Pay and tap fro nearly all transactions at stores or shops. Really only pull out physical credit card at restaurants.
Normchad

Re: Apple Pay on iPhone in Europe

Post by Normchad »

Xrayman69 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:55 pm Does Apple Pay work in Europe?

Going back to Europe after 13 months. I’ve now got very comfortable using Apple Pay and tap fro nearly all transactions at stores or shops. Really only pull out physical credit card at restaurants.
It worked for me in Ireland.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Adoption of contactless payments like Apple Pay is actually higher in Europe. I can't recall coming across a place in Europe in the last few years that takes credit cards but not contactless.
Topic Author
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Normchad wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:57 pm

It worked for me in Ireland.
Thanks. Will start in Dublin this weekend
Topic Author
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

02nz wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:00 pm
Adoption of contactless payments like Apple Pay is actually higher in Europe. I can't recall coming across a place in Europe in the last few years that takes credit cards but not contactless.
Reliable use for restaurants……. ??? My last trip it was still common that they physically put my chip card into the reader (albeit it my presence). I like using Apple Pay because I feel very comfortable with the security of Apple Pay
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

Works better than a credit card in my experience.
American cards require a signature, but a shopkeeper may not have a pen for you to sign. I carried my own pen until I realized that I can pay with my phone just about anywhere.
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

TheHiker wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:42 pm Works better than a credit card in my experience.
American cards require a signature, but a shopkeeper may not have a pen for you to sign. I carried my own pen until I realized that I can pay with my phone just about anywhere.
My Visa card is tap to pay and doesn't require a signature, even in Europe.
WAROB

Post by WAROB »

While there last summer I was surprised how many were paying with their phones. Definitely a big shift to credit card/tap to pay from when I was there in 2012 and 2016. I had no issues with chip/tap visa. Still liked to have some cash on hand for small local restaurants and such.
exodusing

Post by exodusing »

Xrayman69 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:17 pm
Reliable use for restaurants……. ??? My last trip it was still common that they physically put my chip card into the reader (albeit it my presence). I like using Apple Pay because I feel very comfortable with the security of Apple Pay
I can't remember any European restaurant in recent years that didn't have a handheld reader that allowed pay by phone.

When and where was your last trip?
Spiderv6

Post by Spiderv6 »

Nobody uses cash any more in Europe. Everything is tap and pay in all of the major cities and tourist venues, even if its just a 3 euro coffee.

iPhone will work everywhere. If you have a CC with the tap symbol then that will also work everywhere.

The convenience is fantastic.

Use a card that doesn’t charge fx fees (there are many) and if given the choice on a payment screen ALWAYS pay in local currency and not in dollars as the exchange rate will be their choice if you choose dollars (and always to their advantage).
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

I used Apple Pay for every single transaction on my recent trip to Norway. It also was used for the vast majority of transactions in Germany and Switzerland last fall. Take your physical cards with you still, but Apple Pay will likely work in most locations.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

exodusing wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:38 am
Xrayman69 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:17 pm
I can't remember any European restaurant in recent years that didn't have a handheld reader that allowed pay by phone.

When and where was your last trip?
+1 Went to Germany and Greece this spring and all the restaurants had handheld readers where you could tap to pay or pay by phone.
beardsicles

Post by beardsicles »

I forgot my work credit card on a recent work trip to Europe. Had it in my Apple Wallet. 100% success rate.
oilrig

Post by oilrig »

I realize we are talking about two different countries, but I was shocked at how few places in Mexico accepted Apple Pay or tap to pay with CC. And this was in Monterrey which is very industrial, modern, and technologically advanced.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

Recent trips to Italy, Spain/Morocco, Germany/Austria, and I would say tap and pay everywhere, and Apply Pay most places.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I used Apple Pay a lot in Europe this past spring, and it worked great. As already mentioned, you'll want the underlying payment card to be one that doesn't have foreign exchange fees.

I even used it for a pay loo in London at a tourist area. :D
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

It’s more widely accepted in the parts of Europe I routinely go to (France, England, The Netherlands, Germany) than it is in the States
“Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury.” | ― Judge Learned Hand
TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex »

ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:06 am It’s more widely accepted in the parts of Europe I routinely go to (France, England, The Netherlands, Germany) than it is in the States
Maybe it’s just the part of the US I live in but here it’s literally accepted at 100% of places I visit. I can’t remember the last time they didn’t take Apple Pay somewhere.
exodusing

Post by exodusing »

TheEternalVortex wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:19 am
ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:06 am It’s more widely accepted in the parts of Europe I routinely go to (France, England, The Netherlands, Germany) than it is in the States
Maybe it’s just the part of the US I live in but here it’s literally accepted at 100% of places I visit. I can’t remember the last time they didn’t take Apple Pay somewhere.
I see wide acceptance in the US, but I don't know that I've ever seen the handheld units that restaurants in Europe use. The only mobile payment I've seen in the US is some restaurants that put QR codes on the bill that you scan and enter payment information and in rare cases a small unit attached to a phone that you can tap for payment.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

It’d much more widespread in the US now. When I first started using apply pay 4ish years ago it was widespread in Europe and somewhat limited here
“Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury.” | ― Judge Learned Hand
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

exodusing wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:46 am
I see wide acceptance in the US, but I don't know that I've ever seen the handheld units that restaurants in Europe use. The only mobile payment I've seen in the US is some restaurants that put QR codes on the bill that you scan and enter payment information and in rare cases a small unit attached to a phone that you can tap for payment.
This. Even now there are places in the states you just don’t think about it. In Europe it’s literally everywhere I make a purchase of any kind
matthewbarnhart

Post by matthewbarnhart »

oilrig wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:55 am I realize we are talking about two different countries, but I was shocked at how few places in Mexico accepted Apple Pay or tap to pay with CC. And this was in Monterrey which is very industrial, modern, and technologically advanced.
Interesting, in both Mexico City (where I live part-time) and Guadalajara credit card terminals are the norm everywhere at least moderately-bourgeious. Street vendors (taquerías, juice stands, shoe shine, etc), and public restrooms are the big exception. Even the vendors at our local weekly produce market usually have tap-to-pay terminals.

But Europe, yes, it's ubiquitous, and has been for years. Can't remember the last time I used a physical credit card to pay for anything over there. (Though I was surprised, on a recent music tour in Europe, at how many Germans paid for their t-shirts in cash...)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

BogleTaxPro wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:41 am
TheHiker wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:42 pm Works better than a credit card in my experience.
I have a real issue with tap to pay with no authentication. I suppose since the card co is taking all the risk, for the cardholder it is not a major issue but conceptually it makes no sense to me. Tap and PIN would be OK
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
techbud

Post by techbud »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:38 am
I have a real issue with tap to pay with no authentication. I suppose since the card co is taking all the risk, for the cardholder it is not a major issue but conceptually it makes no sense to me. Tap and PIN would be OK
Tap to pay no auth has upper limits; I think its 50 euros or so in Europe. If it's above that amount, you'll be asked to enter your PIN if the card supports it or (more likely) asked to sign since you have a US-issued card.
Apple Pay however is not "no auth"; the fact you use touchid or faceid makes the transaction go through as if it had a PIN so the limits are much higher.
feehater

Post by feehater »

What everyone else said about tap to pay universality. But just a warning that if the place does not take Amex (very common in Europe), then that specific card will not work if it is selected within Apple Pay.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

techbud wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:48 pm
Tap to pay no auth has upper limits; I think its 50 euros or so in Europe. If it's above that amount, you'll be asked to enter your PIN if the card supports it or (more likely) asked to sign since you have a US-issued card.
Apple Pay however is not "no auth"; the fact you use touchid or faceid makes the transaction go through as if it had a PIN so the limits are much higher.
OK. That is "similar" to the Proton chip system I had living in Brussels. One could load a no-auth chip with small amounts for use without PIN but Chip and PIN was default in reader unless you selected "Proton" on the reader (I think some areas it was called "Maestro" but my memory is fuzzy). Proton was really handy for things like vending machines, parking meters and the like. Apple Pay is the way to go for me now.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

feehater wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:56 pm What everyone else said about tap to pay universality. But just a warning that if the place does not take Amex (very common in Europe), then that specific card will not work if it is selected within Apple Pay.
been a while but I never had much issue with using AMEX. In fact my T&E card from company was AMEX and I used it often all over Europe for years.
bople

Post by bople »

Speed of checkout is far more important and valuable than the fraud risk. In fact, the very fast proliferation of tap-to-pay in the US was driven by the fact that insert-chip was so slow and awkward in terms of: insert chip, wait and if you don't wait forced to start again, hear beep, remove chip.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

bople wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:17 pm
Speed of checkout is far more important and valuable than the fraud risk. In fact, the very fast proliferation of tap-to-pay in the US was driven by the fact that insert-chip was so slow and awkward in terms of: insert chip, wait and if you don't wait forced to start again, hear beep, remove chip.
True; although I know a lot of people don't realize you can start this process before the scanning is complete (this is less easy if self-scanning). Back before self-checkout and Apple Pay I'd just jam in the card right away to start the process (sans PIN). Even without the PIN card validation by insertion is slow in the US. But then again, we still use tiny pieces of paper to transfer money so what do we know.

Restaurants are still a weak link because typically you have to hand the card over - something I never did when living in Europe. Now, these are often the only charges I check carefully. We eat out infrequently so not an issue.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

To use Apple Pay (or anything like it, on one’s phone) in Europe (or elsewhere), do you have to have working cellular service?

I was in Europe a few months ago and kept my iPhone in airplane mode and just used free Wi-Fi service when it was available (ie, no cellular service at all).

But I just used physical tap and pay for the credit card and never had any issues.
Most experiences are better imagined.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I believe no.
chinchin

Post by chinchin »

Random Poster wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:55 pm To use Apple Pay (or anything like it, on one’s phone) in Europe (or elsewhere), do you have to have working cellular service?

No, but I believe it does have to be connected once every X amount of days to remain active.
not financial advice