Sell Berkshire stock for Downpayment on House?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
JustGotScammed

Sell Berkshire stock for Downpayment on House?

Post by JustGotScammed »

What's better: Selling Berkshire Hathaway stock to make 20% down payment on house, or keep Berkshire stock and borrow nearly 96.5% of purchase price? A decision I am evaluating.
WonderWander

Re: Sell Berkshire stock for Downpayment on House?

Post by WonderWander »

Hard to say without knowing more details.

You will have to pay taxes on any gains on the BRK stock you sell. How much capital gains will you incur?

Borrowing more will cost you additional interest payments. What the interest rate?

You can do a quick comparison with these details and see where you come out ahead.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

You'd have to do the spreadsheet with your specific information, but there's a decent chance that over 20 or 30 years it won't make much of a difference, and if it does it will come down to what assumptions you make in the spreadsheet such as when you sell the house, what the sales price is, what the returns of BRK are, what future tax rates are, and so forth.

Also, you can do some of both. It doesn't have to be either 20% down or 3.5% down.

Do you have any other ways to get liquidity? HELOC, margin loan, 401K loan?
Toons

Post by Toons »

Pay Cash :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

whatever you do, don't sell it when it's only $185 a share
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

JustGotScammed wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:26 pm What's better: Selling Berkshire Hathaway stock to make 20% down payment on house, or keep Berkshire stock and borrow nearly 96.5% of purchase price? A decision I am evaluating.
Is there a significant difference in cost of mortgage above or below 20% mark?

If so, you could view that as the crossover point.
Topic Author
JustGotScammed

Post by JustGotScammed »

Are there places where you can put 0% down without paying more than putting 20% down?
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

JustGotScammed wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:05 pm Are there places where you can put 0% down without paying more than putting 20% down?
first time homebuyer's program can sometimes be as little as 3% down and NO PMI (I had one in 1996). Don't know if they still exist.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

JustGotScammed wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:26 pm What's better: Selling Berkshire Hathaway stock to make 20% down payment on house, or keep Berkshire stock and borrow nearly 96.5% of purchase price? A decision I am evaluating.
I assume you want to put down 20% to avoid paying the PMI by selling the stock. Many factors like PMI savings, interest costs, interest deductions, potential stock gains and taxes associated with these gains, etc. can impact the decision to sell vs not to sell, and a spreadsheet can help you decide.

TravelforFun
Topic Author
JustGotScammed

Post by JustGotScammed »

Where is the best place to get the lowest mortgage rate
bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers »

One of the online lenders will generally give you a better rate than a national bank.
AIMloan is good about giving you a rate without having to sign up for a bunch of stuff.

I sold a bunch of BrK.b for my 20% down payment with 20-20 hindsight, I could have locked in a bigger loans when rates were 3% and kept more BRK.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

I’m going to imagine you’re selling a share of BRK.a to get a 20% down payment - meaning a purchase price of 3 million.